Ask a question Report

Xp auto log off [Solved/Closed]

wooty 4Posts Monday September 1, 2008Registration date September 9, 2008Last seen - Latest answer on Oct 26, 2012 02:44PM
Hello,
ive recently hit a snag, my windows xp boots up as usual to the log on screen, as soon as i imput my password, windows will play the log on sound and then just automatically log me off again, ive had many attempts to try and get windows to stay running including booting from CD and repair, but unsuccesful.
is there another way, a friend of mine suggested trying to activate the guest account at the log on screen, but i have no knowledge how and neither does he, will this rectify the problem for now?
i am planning on getting a new pc soon, but need access to my user account as there are many important documents for my work on it as well as 10Gb of music that i dont want to see vanish
any and all help is greatly appreciated, thank you
Read more 
Answer
+276
moins plus
Edit these values and type the correct path of shell :

Shell = explorer.exe
Userinit=X:\windows\system32\userinit.exe

NOTE: These files may also be deleted by spywares. You may need to extract them using Windows CD.

Steps for rectifying this problem:

Log on to a networked computer.
Run Regedit.exe
Point your cursor to HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE
Select File > Connect Remote Registry
Type computer name (infected computer)
Navigate to the following location in registry of destination or infected computer

HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\Winlogon

Edit these two values in right pane:

Shell
Userinit

Change these two values to
Shell=explorer.exe
Userinit = x:\windows\system32\userinit.exe
Exit from Registry
Restart Infected computer.
You should be able to log on to computer.
if it not work then go to back steps and just copy orwrite the file userinit.exe

workded successfully tested 100 percent gauranted

WAQAR GILGITI

sawuku965- Apr 19, 2010 08:03AM
Hi it worked for and Thx
It fanatastic to my PC back working.
YourFan- Apr 21, 2010 11:55PM
Thanks a lot !
server- May 10, 2010 06:15AM
100% worked , good knowledge sharing
veryclose- May 20, 2010 09:59AM
I have copied the userinit file from the cd drive to me system root foler successfully, even promted me to overwrite. Unfortunately i came back to the same problem after i restarted. I think that relacing userinit is not the final solution as there may be other steps needed. Changing the resgistry was no option as you need to have 2 computers logged in to network eachother. Any suggestions?
Joydrop- Jun 8, 2010 02:24PM
What if I donl't have a networked computer? My personal computer will not let me logon, and keeps auto logging off after I failed to remove a trojan virus.
Answer
+56
moins plus
Hi There
You can try one of two things to start with.

Try booting into safe mode
On starting your pc hold down the F8 key you should be taken to a menu to boot in safe mode.
When you get to the logon screen select the Administrator account.

If you cant do that take you Hard drive out and put it in your mates pc or another pc if you have one and transfer the files that way.

These will only work If your hard drive is not faulty.

Let me know how you get on

Regards Tony B.

Mario- May 15, 2009 09:46AM
The solution proposed by waqar has worked perfectly for me. There was a bad reference for the userinit (twex.exe, spyware, of course). The file was deleted by the antivirus, but the registry key wasn't fixed: hence the autologoff behaviour...
Thanks a lot :-)
emy- Jul 25, 2009 11:20PM
hi there..
i had a problem with my laptop keep logged off itself..it just show my wallpaper and then it just log off itself..i'ved tried the safe mode but it didn't work either..what should i do..
srikant- Dec 24, 2009 05:32AM
Hi,
basically i have a problame in my system
when start our pc after sever time automatically log off my pc
how to solve this problame please let me know soon
frank- Mar 5, 2010 12:04PM
I did get into administrator, and then I proceed to cotrol panel and click on user account and I get internet explorer script error
Answer
+33
moins plus
this one worked for me:

1. login to XP recovery console (after booting off XP CD)

2. from the c:\windows> prompt, type:

expand d:\i386\userinit.ex_ system32

Change d: to the drive letter of your CD-ROM.

Note that you must be in the c:\windows directory to type this command (this is the default directory in the Recovery Console)

The second parameter on the expand commandline tells it to write the expanded file into the system32 directory. (type expand /? for more info on the expand utility)

Cheers chaps! ;)

ant- Mar 8, 2009 10:39PM
you are the man, thanks for the help!
jenni- Mar 16, 2009 05:32PM
hi, im having the same logon problems but userinit also cannot be found on my system. So instead of complaining how bad this guy is, why not try to help us who still cant login??? Im using a phone to write this! Someone must know something!
gizmo- May 3, 2010 09:57AM
well i didnt have any password so i pressed enter and it worked but i did the command thin when its was on C:\windows> then i typed the expand d:\i386\userinit.ex_ system32
but it said the "the command is not recognized type help for a list of supported commands please help
Eddie Factor- May 8, 2010 04:59PM
naturally, this only helps if you are not denied access? why I am denied access I have no clue- I log on as Administrator.
lsi-92- May 23, 2010 07:49AM
Current malware seems to trash userinit's registry key as well as the file, userinit.exe. To fix:

http://www.cyberdelix.net/adminz/4bf060b5_20877_6cbe6d63.html
Answer
+27
moins plus
Hey ALL
I found the Solution of the problem.
When i lost my Userinit.exe file it may cause automatic logoff when we try to log on with any user.

Don`t try enything else.

Just bring a windows xp Bootable Cd Then Boot form that Disk
And Follow these Steps.
Start Recovery Console ( Press R in the First Screen)\
Choose your windows 1/2/3 or Other
provide password
Command Prompt will appears
type
copy g:\I386\USERINIT.EX_ C:\WINDOWS\system32\USERINIT.EXE
(G is the CD Rom Drive Replace it with your CD Rome Drive alphabet)

if 1 files coppied massege appears
You have done all well
type exit : The system will rebooted
You have done well Enjoy

somedude- Oct 26, 2012 02:44PM
This worked for me, thank you!!
Answer
+25
moins plus
THIS SOLUTION WORKS 100%

Let me explain what happen with ur computer (why u cant login into ur windows account).

1) u got a virus
2) it copied itslef, or it made a copy simmilar name to itself into ur WINDOWS/system32
3) it cahnged the registry key: HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE \ SOFTWARE \ Microsoft \ WindowsNT \ CurrentVersion \ Winlogon, and instead "Userinit.exe", it wrote its name

So, heres an example:

1) u got a virus, for an example, "winupdate86.exe"
2) it made a copy inside system32 as "winlogon86.exe"
3) changed registry key, and in entry putted "winlogon86.exe"

So, ur computer actualy loged on via virus, all time until ur antivirus deleted it (after that u couldnt be able to login). After ur antivurs detected and removed the virus( both "winupdate86.exe" and "winlogon86.exe") ur windows continues to look for "winlogon86.exe", couse it is on current place in registry,and its all it knowsto look for, when it try to login.

So, to solve the problem u need to (SOLUTION!!!)

1) only way to recover ur login is to find a copy of "userinit.exe" file (from XP DVD, from another computer...)
2) rename it to be as name of virus u had (u maybe dont know it, couse ur antivirus deleted it, but if u know u llbe able to fix ur login). So, sopy of "userinit.exe" rename to "winlogon86.exe"
3) put new renamed copy into ur system32 (Ofc, u dont have windows on ur computer, couse u cant login, but ucan plug off hard disk and plugin it to another computer. Other solution is if u can make bottable USB or Floppy disk DOS, and use simple copy function. 3th solution is if u have another operative system on ur computer, and manage coping there)
4) login ur windows normaly (now after u tricked ur regystry key, it still looks for same entry when it login, which was name of virus. But trick is u made a copy of real userinit.exe, and renamed to trick registry)
5) find via regedit HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE \ SOFTWARE \ Microsoft \ WindowsNT \ , and instead name of virus, put "userinit.exe"

Thats all, ofc if u still have virus would be great if u write its name before ur Antivirus delete.. If u still know it, just do steps. If u dont know actual name of virus u can do steps, but not gonna help u. Couse u need to know whats written in entry HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE \ SOFTWARE \ Microsoft \ WindowsNT \ . I found alctual name of my antivirus in way I go to search files inside my WINDOWS folder. And after it finished, I sorted all files with Modified Date, and Created Date... I found all files of virus in my system32... Deleted them and I had this problem... but after I saw all u people worte here I knew how to fix. Ofc I was lucky cuz I before deleting them, made a carantine. So I knew names. And with another comuter fixed.

Hope I gonna help

bmk10- Mar 24, 2010 06:05PM
Thank you, thank you, you're the man (I presume).
confused- Apr 9, 2010 10:42PM
wtf????
Blakey- Apr 20, 2010 07:03PM
@BokiSergy ....Your post is SPOT ON. Thank you!!!!
Yes, I did delete a bunch of viruses right before this happened to me. Only problem now is my virus was the deadly, ignorantly evil Win32 Virut. Soooo I'm going to cry now.
Reformatting is never an option, it's failure!
Fight Virut and put your results on YouTube.com so everyone can learn!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Your Fan- Apr 22, 2010 05:07AM
Thanks
THANKS
T H A N K S
T H A N K S
Error getter- Jun 9, 2010 09:27PM
I got worse problems...
Answer
+15
moins plus
Manual steps to recover a corrupted registry that prevents Windows XP from starting
The procedure that this article describes uses Recovery Console and System Restore. This article also lists all the required steps in specific order to make sure that the process is fully completed. When you finish this procedure, the system returns to a state very close to the state before the problem occurred. If you have ever run NTBackup and completed a system state backup, you do not have to follow the procedures in parts two and three. You can go to part four.
Part one
In part one, you start the Recovery Console, create a temporary folder, back up the existing registry files to a new location, delete the registry files at their existing location, and then copy the registry files from the repair folder to the System32\Config folder. When you have finished this procedure, a registry is created that you can use to start Windows XP. This registry was created and saved during the initial setup of Windows XP. Therefore any changes and settings that occurred after the Setup program was finished are lost.

To complete part one, follow these steps:
1. Insert the Windows XP startup disk into the floppy disk drive, or insert the Windows XP CD-ROM into the CD-ROM drive, and then restart the computer.
Click to select any options that are required to start the computer from the CD-ROM drive if you are prompted to do so.
2. When the "Welcome to Setup" screen appears, press R to start the Recovery Console.
3. If you have a dual-boot or multiple-boot computer, select the installation that you want to access from the Recovery Console.
4. When you are prompted to do so, type the Administrator password. If the administrator password is blank, just press ENTER.
5. At the Recovery Console command prompt, type the following lines, pressing ENTER after you type each line:
md tmp
copy c:\windows\system32\config\system c:\windows\tmp\system.bak
copy c:\windows\system32\config\software c:\windows\tmp\software.bak
copy c:\windows\system32\config\sam c:\windows\tmp\sam.bak
copy c:\windows\system32\config\security c:\windows\tmp\security.bak
copy c:\windows\system32\config\default c:\windows\tmp\default.bak

delete c:\windows\system32\config\system
delete c:\windows\system32\config\software
delete c:\windows\system32\config\sam
delete c:\windows\system32\config\security
delete c:\windows\system32\config\default

copy c:\windows\repair\system c:\windows\system32\config\system
copy c:\windows\repair\software c:\windows\system32\config\software
copy c:\windows\repair\sam c:\windows\system32\config\sam
copy c:\windows\repair\security c:\windows\system32\config\security
copy c:\windows\repair\default c:\windows\system32\config\default

6. Type exit to quit Recovery Console. Your computer will restart.
Note This procedure assumes that Windows XP is installed to the C:\Windows folder. Make sure to change C:\Windows to the appropriate windows_folder if it is a different location.

This is the Best of the Best But with One Problem I am Not responsible For Lost Data if You Lose data Just Get a Recovery data Software For your Pictures and Music Files...

mandj- Jan 21, 2010 12:24PM
I followed your instructions, but it wouldn't boot back up it said a password had been changed. I tried to go back into the recovery console but now it says I need a admin password even though I didn't have one before. How do I find this new password?
mandj- Jan 21, 2010 12:24PM
I followed your instructions, but it wouldn't boot back up it said a password had been changed. I tried to go back into the recovery console but now it says I need a admin password even though I didn't have one before. How do I find this new password?
raverdave0- Jan 22, 2010 03:15AM
If you have no Admin password just hit enter and it will accept a blank password, worked for me

regards

dave
drwka- Feb 10, 2010 10:39AM
Hi ICEM3N,

I am tempted to try your solution, since it doesn't seem to involve the Bart PE CD (which I cannot burn, since we only have one PC, and we can't log on to it), but....you say there are four 'parts' to the procedure but there is only Part One listed, and this makes me think I'm going to get to the end of what you describe and find that there are more steps to follow.

Is what you have here the whole procedure? If not, any chance you've got the time and energy to write out the rest of the steps for us poor schlubs for whom the other solutions posted have not worked? (I've got the xp install cd, and can get into the recovery window, so that's not a problem).

And: is typing:

md tmp

part of the process? What does 'md tmp' do?

I am mostly a mac user trying to help my partner fix his pc, so I really need the step by step handholding, thanks for your patience!
Answer
+13
moins plus
I have also the same problem... can you help somebody to solve this issues... I've tried in both modes Normal & Safe but no luck

Sandy- Feb 4, 2010 07:31AM
So let me get this clear I download PE to a working computer, run it, then use my Windows disc for it to extract whatever files it needs then burn them to a disc. Then do I just put the disc in my "bad" computer, start it up and it will let me fix it by adding the strings discussed here? Do I just put it in or have to shut it down and put it in at start up? Will I still have all my original programs and files on my computey? Sorry to ask dumb questions when you all sound you know what you are doing and I am bumbling around like an idiot.
wdcarp bongo - Jan 28, 2010 01:24AM
THANKS TONS!!!! This worked perfectly.... Anyone with this problem needs to check this out... http://www.logicnest.com/archives/90
http://www.winhelponline.com/blog/create-bartpe-bootable-cd-using-pe-builder/
Peter Lu- Nov 8, 2009 08:14PM
I can settle this problem !

Pls Cal Me if u r from Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia.

H/p : 012-3111548.

Best Regards,

Peter Lu
Exellence Computer & Network Services.
Maxx- Nov 18, 2009 03:47AM
Hi

I tried creating another user going through safe mode,but that also didn't worked,So if u can log in through safe mode,then you can try restoring to early date.Its worked for me
Maxx- Nov 18, 2009 03:47AM
Hi

I tried creating another user going through safe mode,but that also didn't worked,So if u can log in through safe mode,then you can try restoring to early date.Its worked for me
Answer
+5
moins plus
Hi,

My name is Anand.

I system was infected this problem. so please send me solution if you have.

i am really thank to you..

fayaz- May 9, 2009 04:12AM
this type of problem 10% will solve otherwise u have to format ur computer

but be careful first u tack ur data than u try to format

regards fayaz
theschrade- Dec 27, 2009 01:25PM
you sir, are an idiot. this can be solved 100% of the time if you know what you're doing
Answer
+5
moins plus
I had the same problem and you guys pointed me in the right direction.
I had neither of these files so I copied userinit.exe from another machine in my house to the laptop and that fixed it.

Answer
+5
moins plus
OK, I see many people still have this problem.. and some of them didnt have their own computer for Christmas/NewYear, spent vacations tring to find solution, whats sad...

I) Read this: http://en.kioskea.net/forum/affich-22087-xp-auto-log-off?page=4#179

II) Try this

To solve the problem u need:

1) To know whats written in registry key: HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE \ SOFTWARE \ Microsoft \ WindowsNT \ CurrentVersion \ Winlogon

Should be written userini.exe, if isnt change it to be using some software which can change registry of instalaion of windows in another operative system other, computer, or from MSdos. Somehow, try to find one good program for changing registry from DOS... I dont know any, but u try.

2) make a copy of original userinit.exe in ur WINDOWS\system32

3) Login regulary, should works!

Or

II' ) If u know the name of virus which was deleted from antivirus:
1) Copy userinit.exe from other computer into ur WIDNOWS\system32

2) Rename it to be like name of virus u had (if ur virus was updaterServer.exe, rename userinit.exe to be updaterServer.exe. Why? Because its written in HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE \ SOFTWARE \ Microsoft \ WindowsNT \ CurrentVersion \ Winlogon, and ur computer try to login on virus. But virus is deleted, and ur comp dont have with what to init a user. )

3) Login regulary, should works!

FAQ: How to copy file into system, or cahnge the registry when I cant login? Use any DOS, or plug hard disk to another computer...

Good luck;)

http://en.kioskea.net/forum/affich-22087-xp-auto-log-off?page=4#179

Answer
+5
moins plus
Thank you so much for the information. This was a nasty virus/trojan. The following worked for me...
1) I was able to remove the hard drive and install it on a clean computer as a slave drive. I used Norton 360 to scan and rescan the drive until it was clean of virus.
2) I copied userinit.exe and winlogon.exe from the clean computer to the 2nd HD and replaced the existing files. And reinstalled the HD in the computer. Still had problems.
3) Created a BartPE recovery disk - best thing! Used BartPE to get access to the computer and used regedit to update the required information. (http://www.nu2.nu/pebuilder/)
4) This link was extremely valuable on how to load and edit the registry once BartPE had worked, as loading registries is not easy. http://windowsxp.mvps.org/peboot.htm
5) Added Shell and Winlogon information to Registry keys (as the antivirus had removed them altogether)
Under HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\Winlogon
Shell=explorer.exe
Userinit = C:\windows\system32\userinit.exe,
(don't forget the , at the end)

System works now... Thank you all

OTG!- Apr 8, 2010 10:26PM
This worked, Thank you!
Answer
+3
moins plus
Here's an easy fix if you have the XP install disk.

Enter the Recovery Console
Boot the system using the Windows XP CD-ROM. In the first screen when the Setup begins, read the instructions press "R" (in the first screen) enter the Recovery Console. Type-in the built-in Administrator password to enter the Console. You'll see the prompt reading C:\Windows (Or any other drive-letter where you've installed XP)
Type the following command and press Enter.
CD SYSTEM32
(If that does not work, try CHDIR SYSTEM32)
COPY USERINIT.EXE WSAUPDATER.EXE
Quit Recovery Console by typing EXIT and restart Windows.
You'll be able to login successfully as you've created the wsaupdater.exe file (now, a copy of userinit.exe)

Now, change the USERINIT value in the registry and change it accordingly.

Click Start, Run and type REGEDIT. Navigate to:
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE \ SOFTWARE \ Microsoft \ WindowsNT \ CurrentVersion \ Winlogon
In the right-pane, change the value of Userinit to "C:\WINDOWS\system32\userinit.exe,"
Type the above value exactly as given, including the comma - exclude the quotes. Also, change the path to userinit.exe appropriately if Windows is installed in a different drive.
Close Registry Editor and restart Windows. The Quick Launch settings should be retained now.

TURTLEZ- Mar 1, 2009 09:22PM
Now what if you don't have the disks? or a Disk Drive? and can't access the HDD? and the Recoverything isn't working? and if he company can't solve it?
Please answer these questions??!! anyone????

If you find a GOOD solution: turtlemantrav@hotmail.com
Paddy- Mar 3, 2009 04:36AM
I have tried this and when I type in the "copy userinit.exe wsaupdater.exe" part (without the quotes) it says that the file cannot be found. HELP!
sam- Mar 5, 2009 01:47AM
i dont know the console password... but if i just push enter... then it takes me to c:/windows and then i get to system32 and then i type COPY USERINIT.EXE WSAUPDATER.EXE and it does nothing... it says it cant find the file... why???
domino- Mar 28, 2009 10:25AM
Ain't work for me, I'm trying to enter CD SYSTEM32 (to start Recovery console) and does not allow me to enter except first C letter. It allows me to enter only one letter, any suggestions.
pillbug- May 18, 2009 02:26PM
Ain't work for me, I'm trying to enter CD SYSTEM32 (to start Recovery console) and does not allow me to enter except first C letter. It allows me to enter only one letter, any suggestions.
Answer
+2
moins plus
IveTriedEnter the Recovery Console
Boot the system using the Windows XP CD-ROM. In the first screen when the Setup begins, read the instructions press "R" (in the first screen) enter the Recovery Console. Type-in the built-in Administrator password to enter the Console. You'll see the prompt reading C:\Windows (Or any other drive-letter where you've installed XP)
Type the following command and press Enter.
CD SYSTEM32
(If that does not work, try CHDIR SYSTEM32)
Quit Recovery Console by typing EXIT and restart Windows.
You'll be able to login successfully as you've created the wsaupdater.exe file (now, a copy of userinit.exe)

Now, change the USERINIT value in the registry and change it accordingly.

ive tried all the ones listed above actually not a single one worked anyone know anotherfix

raj- Feb 24, 2009 07:16AM
Can you please help me

I tried to do the same procedure(boot from XP cd, recovery console...etc)

but in my case when I enter

copy userinit.exe wsaupdater.exe

getting message "no such file exists with that file name"

thanks in advance
Answer
+2
moins plus
hi,

hi to every one i have the same problem as what you have guys and it really pizz me off, i tried most of the procedures posted in this forum and it ends up on nothing..i tried to download PE builder and created a BARTPE, yes batrPE will boot on CD and you can edit registry but it is none sense, i tried to load a hive namely SOFTWARE and try to modify it, i restart my PC and it doesn't do anything or any progress. I also tried to repair it using windows xp but it doesn't do anything. Guys don't waste your on doing this procedure, the best thing to do is take out your hard drive connect it to other computer scan the hard drive, and back up your important files, then reformat you hard drive. For those who cannot remove their drive try to use BARTPE or ERD commander to back up your files.. ..

Answer
+1
moins plus
Thanks for all the help on this issue.

I have tried to fix if you have the XP install disk.

but i get the error

The system cannot find the file specified.

thanks.,

Me- Feb 11, 2009 11:31AM
Have you managed to fix your problem? I am having the same "file cannot be specified" error after copy userinit.exe wasupdater.exe
raj- Feb 24, 2009 07:21AM
mate, have you able to fix your problem

me too getting the same error, not able to find the file userinit.exe

cheers
Answer
+1
moins plus
heya's, my gf's comp has this same problem, cannot log in through safe mode iether
i understand that a virus or something has changes the "shell" and "userinit" files so that u cannot log in
we never had our comps networked and am unsure how to, so i connected her HD to my PC
but i'm not sure how to edit her
Shell
or Userinit

files.

i can edit my own though regedit.exe

so i know what to edit and i'm pretty sure i have to make them

Shell=explorer.exe
Userinit = x:\windows\system32\userinit.exe

i jus don't know how to do it to her HD

i have read about making a BartPE bootable CD, but then i have to use some windows xp disc that i cannot find. i would rather not do this, is there any other easier solution?

yk299- Feb 11, 2009 10:16PM
To do it on her PC,

A: Connect her PC and your PC to the same switch (or network)
B: Open Reged edit on YOUR PC
C: Right click File Connect Network Registry or right click computer and select connect network registry
D: Type in her PC name and then modify the registry settings you have stated above.
Answer
+1
moins plus
Many thanks

It works fine.

Props

Jetalley greg1a2b - Feb 22, 2010 12:27PM
Just to put in my 2 cents.

I had this issue and here is what I did with just a Windows XP CD

1. Boot to recovery console
2. Go to C:\Windows\System32\Config
3. In this folder I found a file named Software.iobit
4. I renamed Software to Software.bak and renamed Software.iobit to Software
5. Rebooted computer and was able to log in fine
6. Ran Regedit, clicked on HKLM, then click File, Load Hive, browse to C:\Windows\System32\Config and select Software.bak. When asked, name it anything (I used banana) This will be the Software portion of HKLM
7. Went to \Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\Winlogon and the key for Userinit was C:\Windows\System32\Winlogon32.exe
8. I then Changed this to C:\Windows\System32\Userinit.exe
9. Rebooted back to Windows XP CD recovery console
10. Went back to C:\Windows\System32\Config and renamed Software to Software.bak2 and renamed Software.bak to Software
11. Rebooted back to Windows normally and everything was fine, except for the Security Essentials 2010 Malware running, which I removed also.

Hope this helps some of you.

JETalley
Jetalley greg1a2b - Feb 22, 2010 12:27PM
Just to put in my 2 cents.

I had this issue and here is what I did with just a Windows XP CD

1. Boot to recovery console
2. Go to C:\Windows\System32\Config
3. In this folder I found a file named Software.iobit
4. I renamed Software to Software.bak and renamed Software.iobit to Software
5. Rebooted computer and was able to log in fine
6. Ran Regedit, clicked on HKLM, then click File, Load Hive, browse to C:\Windows\System32\Config and select Software.bak. When asked, name it anything (I used banana) This will be the Software portion of HKLM
7. Went to \Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\Winlogon and the key for Userinit was C:\Windows\System32\Winlogon32.exe
8. I then Changed this to C:\Windows\System32\Userinit.exe
9. Rebooted back to Windows XP CD recovery console
10. Went back to C:\Windows\System32\Config and renamed Software to Software.bak2 and renamed Software.bak to Software
11. Rebooted back to Windows normally and everything was fine, except for the Security Essentials 2010 Malware running, which I removed also.

Hope this helps some of you.

JETalley
Dec- Feb 22, 2010 08:45PM
hi jet,

i couldn't find Software.iobit file in C:\Windows\System32\Config. Any advice? Thank you.

Rgds,
kyle
t-wei 3Posts Tuesday February 23, 2010Registration date February 23, 2010Last seen Jetalley - Feb 23, 2010 10:52AM
Hello,
So i think i got the blazefind virus because my comp gets stuck in this logon-logoff loop. i googled this problem and found that other people have had the same problem. i booted in safe mode, ran avg virus scan which told me all files were "blocked" and "not able to analyze" so i turned the comp off. next day i googled again and found the BartPE thing which i downloaded and made a cd from. then i went into Bios menu, changed my boot sequence to cd rom first, tried to boot in safe mode again but two new problems occured. First of all I was unable to boot from cd rom, and second in safe mode, the logon-logoff loop thing happened again. So I went back into Bios, in the boot sequence I unchecked the "diskette and Hard drive" options completeley therefore leaving only the cd rom option checked and tried to reboot from cd rom again. this time it gave me a "strike F1 to reboot, F2 to got to settings" message. When i hit F1, it just beeps and shows the same message again. Is there anything I can do at this point to save my comp?
Raj- Feb 27, 2010 10:30PM
If you have OS CD you can repair the window That would be your best option.
Boot from OS CD then When first "R" option comes just hit Enter then it's going to scan for previous OS then it's going to give you options to repair choose "R" then and it will repair all windows files and that will fix your problem. Good Luck
Answer
+1
moins plus
What worked for me was to copy c:\windows\system32\userinit.exe from one user's computer to the others. The file was missing.
After I copied it and rebooted all is fine.

Answer
+1
moins plus
Can someone please reply to those of us who have followed these instructions and keep getting "The system cannot find the file or directory specified?"

Answer
+1
moins plus
Hi I have a mecer extreme when it boots up i am able to login then it would automatically shuts down and restart again. Sometime it takes 30 minutes after logging on to the internet that the same thing happens.

Hope you can assist me i am really lost here.

1 2 3 4 5 Next
This document entitled « xp auto log off » from Kioskea (en.kioskea.net) is made available under the Creative Commons license. You can copy, modify copies of this page, under the conditions stipulated by the license, as this note appears clearly.

Not a member yet?

sign-up, it takes less than a minute and it's free!

Members get more answers than anonymous users.

Being a member gives you detailed monitoring of your requests.

Being a member gives you additional options.