Xp auto log off

Solved/Closed
wooty Posts 4 Registration date Monday September 1, 2008 Status Member Last seen September 9, 2008 - Sep 2, 2008 at 05:37 PM
 somedude - Oct 26, 2012 at 02:44 PM
Hello,
ive recently hit a snag, my windows xp boots up as usual to the log on screen, as soon as I imput my password, windows will play the log on sound and then just automatically log me off again, ive had many attempts to try and get windows to stay running including booting from CD and repair, but unsuccesful.

is there another way, a friend of mine suggested trying to activate the guest account at the log on screen, but I have no knowledge how and neither does he, will this rectify the problem for now?
i am planning on getting a new pc soon, but need access to my user account as there are many important documents for my work on it as well as 10Gb of music that I dont want to see vanish

any and all help is greatly appreciated, thank you
Related:

88 responses

Hi,

Can I use the "expand d:\i386\userinit.exe C:\ " command from a regular burned CD? My plan is to burn the userinit.exe file from another computer onto a blank disc (my XP Media Center PC did not come with a boot disk).
So would I insert the burned cd with the one file on it, then type the following?

step1: expand d:\i386\userinit.exe C:\ (or would I type expand d:\userinit.exe?)

step2: copy c:\userinit.exe c:\windows\system32\

Thanks in advance!!
Hey guys I really need some help.

I have the virus that longs you on/off ect. I have tried running my computer in safemode- that didnt work. I have tried runnying my Computer in debugging mode- that didn't work either. I tried logging in as the administrator- but it said I wasnt authorized. I have a netbook so I do not have a CD drive. I do not know how to get the softwhere on to a USB like someone else with a netbook said they did. I also do not know how to link my computer to another one/ swap hard drives. I also dont have access to another computer to do this. I'm really stuck. I went to a computer shop to see if they would sort it out and they said it would cost £50- money I just don't have.

please help
x x x x
Thanks a MIL to everyone - worked 100%

Mine was "X:\i386\System32\userinit.exe, "
Changed it to "C:\WINDOWS\System32\UserInit.exe"
Hi All,
i am having the same problem,, I hav xp cd and tried copying the userinit.exe and also tried expanding it using the recovery console. it was successfully copied but I still wasnt able to log on. :(

I still havnt tried the Bart PE cd method but can anyone tell me if this method will work:
http://saveme.danfischbach.com/

Have been working on it since 2 weeks! so worried cant focus on studies either. Please Help somone!!

James

Didn't find the answer you are looking for?

Ask a question
Follow steps if using Mini PE -

- Run Mini PE
- Search for Avast Registry editor or alternative (Do not - 'Run - regedit' this wont work)
- Choose correct drive
- HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE (expand)
- Software (expand)
- Microsoft (expand)
- Windows NT (left click)
- Make sure Userinit is C:\WINDOWS\system32\userinit.exe (right click modify)
- Restart computer rebooting into XP and log on.
I had this same problem today. It seems to be caused by smss32 and its party. In my case, which resolved the problem was copying userinit.exe to winlogon32.exe. I did not have to Edit Windows Registry.
Hi,

my laptop with xp still fails to log in in safe mode:

1. I pressed Alt+Ctrl+Del

2. Username - administrator

3. Password OK

still logs off. earlier, I scanned with avg and had also turned off the system restore. is it possible to get through without format or reinstall etc.
I have the same logon/logoff problem, but it wont do with loging in as admin, since I use the admin as my account. id like to know if there is a way to solve it and if you could explain it to me, especially since english is a foreign language for me and I couldnt find a solution in german. Thx Lil
HI,

If you are using a HP computer or laptop then its fairly easy to repair this problem

Use the F11-recovery which is a whole program in Hp and choose the option to reset it but have a recovery partition in a folder

Then it takes quite some time to reset it, afterwards you will have to register anew on you computer and are able to retrieve all your documents out of this folder

Lil (sorry, if its written a bit awkward, but telling technical things in english is hard for a foreigner)
Boot from a Windows XP CD
Select "R" for Repair
Select "1" for you Windows operating system
At the C:\WINDOWS prompt, type CD SYSTEM32 and press Enter
Then type COPY USERINIT.EXE WINLOGON32.EXE and press Enter
If you get the 1 FILE COPIED, then type EXIT and reboot your system.
You should now be able to log in.

If you got a message stating that the file is not recognised or missing, do the following:

Type D: and press Enter - assuming D: is the letter for your CDROM drive. If not, put in the drive letter for you CDROM.
Type CD I386 and press Enter (that is the letter I and 386)
Then type EXPAND USERINIT.EX_ C: and press Enter
Type C: and press enter

You should now be back at C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM32
Type COPY USERINIT.EXE WINLOGON32.EXE and press Enter
You should get 1 FILE COPIED.
Type EXIT and reboot system.

Now you should be able to log back into Windows XP.
Working. Tested.
Hi,

for corrupted registry values or keys you know the name for you can also try the REG command in Windows XP :

https://www.computerhope.com/reg.htm

Regards
O
Win XP is the OS am using
alietha davis
Apr 15, 2010 at 02:14 PM
xputo log offsolve
Hi, am trying to un lock a used laptop pc recently purchased w/ no admin password. got in once and changed settings to" change password at next login..".it back fired and now wants the old admin password to log in.DIFFICULT to even get out of black screen ! Accounts are all disabled, pc is locked, error message "windows cant read hard drive disk" when trying to use factory included disk to boot Now have the log in box up--> enter user/ domain / password But I have no passwords, domain names, or ANYTHING to enter...This is a windows xp professional w/ service pack 2
I have similar issues. I use Kaspersky Rescue Disk (free) to boot and navigate the files on my hard drive. I also use the KRD to clean for viruses :) It seems that the malware replaced the original userinit.exe with an infected version with the same name and the KRD deleted it.

Anyway... Once you boot the KRD, click the lower left icon (Favorite applications) and select File Manager, click the discs folder, click the C:,

Navigate to \WINDOWS\system32\dllcache
Right click on the userinit.exe and click copy
Navigate to \WINDOWS\system32 and paste the userinit.exe

Verify that you have the userinit.exe in the \WINDOWS\system32 folder.

Reboot without the KRD and you should be able to log in to windows.

The registry for the userinit and shell was not changed at all from its default settings.
Anonymous Grey
Apr 27, 2010 at 08:28 PM
Hi,

I met the same problem in WinXP Pro. Througout I made a lot of mistakes and error which I have to re-clone back and start again; I "may have the answer" as I solved in XP Pro. 1) Backup your HD onto another HD using Clone software by todobackup by Easeus. This is as a precaution act to protect in case you make mistake.

2) Try to get the same model with the same configuration as your Notebook or PC ( Ms office and etc) . Link them together in a network I ONLY TRIED IT IN THE DOMAIN Environment. It's best if the Administrator password are the same and software applications installed are the same.

Make sure you are able to ping or logon Remotely to the "bad" pC using Administrator from "good" PC. NOTE : It will not work if don't have accessor network connectivity.

3) On the "good" PC, using Regedit export HKey_Local_Machine\Software\Microsoft\Windows NT\Winlogon by clicking right hand and select Export. You may save on the My documents or Desktop. Name a proper file name you can remember say, "goodpcwinlogon.reg

4) Select File from Pull down menu, Select Connect Network Registry. Select the "bad" PC and connect it. It might prompt Administrator password here.

5) Export the HKey_Local_Machine\Software\Microsoft\Windows NT\Winlogon and name it differently say, "badpcwinlogon.reg" onto the "good" PC.

This is as a precaution act to protect in case a mistake is made.

6) Using Regedit, click Import registry and select the "goodpcwinlogon.reg" SELECT THE CORRECT PC to IMPORT, in this case the "bad" PC.

7) After importing, you may restart and try logon using Administrator in the "Bad" PC. It should work.

8) In the "Bad" PC, Go under C:\Documents and Settings, Here look for your username say, "ABC".
Rename the folder ABC to ABC_OLD.

9) Logoff as Administrator, and re-login as the Domain username in the "Bad" PC in this case "ABC". Logoff as ABC

10) Logon as Administrator again in the "Bad" PC. Go to C:\Documents and Settings, you should see a new user "ABC" created. Copy the Favourites, My Documents and Desktop files from the ABC_OLD folder.

11) re-login as your username in this case, "ABC". It should be working now.

I cannot guarantee it will work completely as I got about 90% of the software application working. I have to re-install some here.

Hope that helps!. Good luck and Best wishes.
Plz send urgently
God bless you Bart... and BartPE, especially since the only other computer at my disposal to build a BartPE boot disk was a Japanese laptop, replete with kanji keyboard and all. All of the build logs/notifications were in kanji so I just held my breath and prayed. To my delight, BartPE built a flawless boot disc with no issue for my old Dell 5100 running XP SP3.

In addition to the excellent answers in this thread, and after creating a bootable BartPE disk, you'll need to follow the steps in the following link to "remotely" edit the registry on C: ...which essentially requires editing the proper registry hive on your local infected drive:

https://www.winhelponline.com/xp/peboot.htm

Since newer virus variants are cropping up, you'll never really know what virus replaces userinit.exe. In my case it was a very nasty case of twext.exe. All of this malware was cleaned up by McAfee, but it left the registry pointing to a non-existent virus/exe. McAfee needs to fix this asap.

Other notes: I did not replace my winlogon.exe or userinit.exe because my local copies were dated two years ago (fine), my Windows install disk was SP1, local patches were up to SP3 and I feared side affects mixing the two SPs.

Lastly, after a successful restart, I noticed one of the svchost.exe processes no longer pinned my CPU like it used to. I suspect twext.exe malware is hooked into it somehow.
my pc (windos xp)can't login with my correct password and eventhough I removed password try but no result it all happened after fixed internet.
Hi,

Just remove your Harddisk and plug into another computer.

then go to your hard disk drive open

C:\Documents and Settings\Administrator\Start Menu\Programs\Startup and delete start up file with every prifile which you have created.

then your problem is solve definatly.

Its me ..... Dev

Email Id removed for security
that does not work, the only fix is the registry fix because this is a registry error not a startup file. Still a pain getting this spyware off my pc even though I can log on. Any one have a good free spyware program, spy bot and adaware did not work on the stubborn trojan.dropper. even symantec endpoint 11 detects but does not remote. thanks

Yan
Tribiani's Sister > yan
Jan 19, 2009 at 09:37 PM
SUPER Antispyware works well.
danial > Tribiani's Sister
Jan 29, 2009 at 08:03 PM
SUPER Antispyware caused my computer auto logoff after I install and scan my c drive...
Danial, I think you missed the point. The problem is spyware setting a registry value to intialize your profile through a .exe that is actually malicious. Antivirus removes the malicious file. However, Windows is still looking for it. When it can't find it, it logs off. All you need to do is either point the registry at the correct file (which probably needs to be copied from a clean source) or copy a clean file over whatever Windows is looking for currently.
Dev, your answer has nothing to do with Windows logging itself off due to not finding the userinit executable for loading a profile. While your machine may have had some simple batch file running to log you off, that's not what any other users in this thread are experiencing.