Xp auto log off

Solved/Closed
wooty Posts 4 Registration date Monday September 1, 2008 Status Member Last seen September 9, 2008 - Sep 2, 2008 at 05:37 PM
 somedude - Oct 26, 2012 at 02:44 PM
Hello,
ive recently hit a snag, my windows xp boots up as usual to the log on screen, as soon as I imput my password, windows will play the log on sound and then just automatically log me off again, ive had many attempts to try and get windows to stay running including booting from CD and repair, but unsuccesful.

is there another way, a friend of mine suggested trying to activate the guest account at the log on screen, but I have no knowledge how and neither does he, will this rectify the problem for now?
i am planning on getting a new pc soon, but need access to my user account as there are many important documents for my work on it as well as 10Gb of music that I dont want to see vanish

any and all help is greatly appreciated, thank you
Related:

88 responses

you may have BlazeFind malware
Ashleigh.xx Posts 2 Registration date Monday February 23, 2009 Status Member Last seen February 24, 2009
Feb 24, 2009 at 02:33 AM
Hi,
I sort of have the opposite problem.
I recently bought a second hand computer (windows 98) from an old friend but it starts up/ turns on automatically every Tuesday at exactly 8 3O am... I asked my friend, they said they have no idea, how do I stop this from happening??

Thanks.
Help! I followed this instructions

CD SYSTEM32
(If that does not work, try CHDIR SYSTEM32)
COPY USERINIT.EXE WSAUPDATER.EXE
Quit Recovery Console by typing EXIT and restart Windows.

but after it restarted its doing the loop again, I did the copy several times but still...

note:
I used the Xp Installation disk
I tried the safe mode after the copy but same thing happens every time
I tried deleting the userinit.exe and wsaupdater.exe from c:\windows\system32 then restart then copy but still same thing
HELP!!!
Guys,

I docked an infected harddrive on my good bench computer. After successfully cleaning the docked drive with antivirus and antispyware I reattached it back to the original computer. When logging in I got the auto logoff (safe mode also and same for the administrator account or admin User).

I redocked the harddrive again after reading this thread and found that the userinit.exe was missing from the /windows/system32. This drive also had a partition for a system restore and I able to copy the userinit.exe from there to the /system32 for booting without having to use a boot disk. I attached the harddrive back again and I booted the machine. I was able to login sucessfully and have verified HKLM in the registry for the userinit.exe location mentioned.

So far so good.

THANK YOU!!!

Didn't find the answer you are looking for?

Ask a question
I'm having the same problem as raj... but my whole story is below:

I ran avast! to get rid of the Vitro virus and it went through deleting all of my .exe files in hopes of Vitro being completely eliminated (though I bet I still have it, lost hundreds of .exe's, which should be all of them)

After avast was done it's scan, I repaired Windows using the more complete method (not the recovery console -- I pressed enter, went through and pressed R when it asks for repair or full installation).

During the repair, I would get many errors saying "Setup Cannot Copy the File _____". I went to the Microsoft website and followed their instructions, deleting Edb.log file and the Edb0000x.log file.

After this, I did the Windows more thorough repair again to see if it worked, and yes, all of my "Setup Cannot Copy File errors" have gone away.

However, now when I try logging in to windows, it starts loading settings, flashes my desktop picture for about 1.5 seconds, then proceeds to automatically log me out and close network connections, etc.

I've tried running in safe mode and logging in with my account or the administrator account, and still I get auto-logged out regardless.

I've tried the Recovery Console method you guys all post, however, when I do the "COPY USERINIT.EXE WSAUPDATER.EXE" part, I get an error saying "The system cannot find the file specified."

I am stuck from this point, I don't know what else to do.

I've got an BartPE boot disk, is there any way of fixing Windows with that? I know it's suppose to be really good at doing so, but I don't know any of the commands or what to run. I followed the directions on this site https://www.winhelponline.com/xp/peboot.htm but it turns out my Userinit value was correct with "C:\Windows\System32\Userinit.exe,".

I've also tried running chkdsk /r /p and this didn't solve the problem either.

Please help, this is my second day running a bunch of scans and things to try and fix it!

Thanks!
I have just sold problem, and problem is missing "userinit.exe" in c:/windows/system32 directory. So, I copied file "userinit.exe" from another computer to USB Flash drive, then I started "Windows MiniPE" from bootable CD (no necessarily, you can use programs from Hiren's Boot CD or some other bootable file manager) and copied to c:/windows/system32 on computer with problem. Now, when you can log in, you can do everything with your operating system.

I hope this is useful for you!
I just went through this with a friend's computer who's business depended on a fix. I was able to solve this problem using bart pe with a windows xp home disk. I copied the windows disk to a folder I made and used that as the source for bart pe to make an image and created a bart pe disk.

Once the problem computer was booted up with bart pe I simply searched the drive for userinit.exe then copied and pasted it into the X:\windows\system32\ folder. Problem solved.

I should add that as an intermediate computer go to guy ( I am not a professional ) this was much harder than it sounds. I tried recovery console with no success, regedit through networling with no success, and a few suggestions from google searches that I didn't think would work to begin with and they didn't.

My advice to novice users is to find a tech savvy friend. Barring that download bart pe and google a beginner's guide to using bart pe. Once you have a working boot disk it's as easy as copy + paste. Good Luck.
What do I do if I do not have the original windows xp discs? Mine came pre-installed so all I have is the recovery discs. I don't have the pc networked either. Any ideas?
Windows Recovery Mode and replacing userinit.ex_ and renaming it in the hsystem32 folder worked wonders for my XP system.
thanks for the reply. my knowledge is fairly basic though. Any chance you can explain what you said beofre in more detail? how do I replace userinit.ex and what would I rename it to?
MeetJack Posts 2 Registration date Friday March 6, 2009 Status Member Last seen March 7, 2009
Mar 7, 2009 at 11:44 AM
Ive tried to get into the recovery console but it asks for a password but I have no idea what that password can be. If anyone can help me with this I would really really appreciate it. It says to put in the built-in administrator password so, if anybody at all can help I will really appreciate the help.
mikethedike Posts 158 Registration date Saturday August 16, 2008 Status Member Last seen September 22, 2012 41
Mar 8, 2009 at 11:38 PM
enter admin in the password area and then hit eneter

Melisio mascarenhas
India-mumbai
mikethedike
Hello,
im having the saem preoblem as u guys..... but..i tried everything .. and the lat 1 was trying to type g:\i386\userinit.ex system\.... but itpromt me... can't find a way to file or .. file doessnt exist... sry (well it didnt write that.. my pc is in french but I tranlated it:p) ....so what can I do?
cuz I try every single metode.. and each time it advanced me farther but im stil stuck at the window system 32.... so if 1 of u guys could help me solve my problem ty very much:p
A virus hit my file server, after clearing the virus off the server I had this problem. Userinit did not exist so I expanded it out of the CD drive I386 and copied it into my system32 folder. Thsi was the last peace in my virus free puzzle. Thanks for answers guys!
I have a similar problem. After following the instructions, and copying the file from my xp setup disk, I was able to log in... unfortunately when I did, the screen turned blue and won't show the start bar or the desktop. I can see the mouse but it will not respond to anything. Any help?
darkphreekquency
Mar 14, 2009 at 09:07 PM
ok wow so I read one post that claimed the person who wrote this was very talented lol .. 3 or 4 lines of code to change a few files is a waste of time .you never even get to see the people you affect what I kind of satisfaction is that?? his person is a moron who read a c++ book and thinks hes a master now because people dont really understand how easy it is to destroy things ... make something ... invent a way to solve a problem . or make our lives better .. stupid , ignorant people destroy things because they are too thick headed and pathetic that they cant wrap their head around a better concept .. honestly I hope this kid gets hit by a car . there are too many useless IT people out there
Abushami Posts 2 Registration date Monday March 16, 2009 Status Member Last seen March 17, 2009
Mar 17, 2009 at 03:33 AM
Hi,
I had same problem and fixed it in 5 few minutes by now.
Simple steps:

1-Remove your HDD and attached it to anyother PC, either a second drive or using USB enclosure, depending upon type of ur HDD.

2-Preferably 2nd PC connected to internet.
3- serach userinit.exe for XP on the internet, use google.
download file directly on your affected HDD.

suppose ur HDD appears as E: in 2nd PC and your Windows directory is Then e:\windows
download new userinit.exe file into e:\windows\system32

Reconncet you HDD to your original machine, it will logon namally.

It is smply over writing the userinit.exe file in the system32 directory by any means.
Hi, I had the same problem, ended up giving my computer to a friend who's an IT technician. He spent hours trying .. and connected it to his hard drive like I think someone mentioned earlier. None ofthis worked. He ended up asking his boss, who told him to create a new partition on the hard drive, and install XP again. The file needed for login would then be there, so it would work. However the viruses had cause so much damage to the harddrive that he couldnt do this.
I had to wipe my computer and reinstall XP.. something I never thought I'd have to do. Thankfully I mangaged to recover my files.. he did it somehow when my hard drive was linked to his.. unfortunately I dont know how but maybe someone will.
Seems this is a nasty virus, maybe we should all be more careful in future :)

Hope this helps somehow!
Thx a mill, worked like a charm!!
I was having this problem to. After following the steps from http://www.lavasoftsupport.com/lofiversion/index.php/t7624.html I managed to get access to it although when I log on, windows keeps telling me to register and activate although I cannot do this because it is not connected to the net. Any ideas?
telink Posts 3 Registration date Wednesday April 15, 2009 Status Member Last seen April 16, 2009
Apr 16, 2009 at 06:37 PM
Please help> I copied onto a CD the file userinit.exe from another computer. Whne I try to copy in recovery mode I get "The system cannot find the file scpecified" Please help
Many thanks to waqar and SNoWDoGG !!!

My userinit.exe was deleted by the antivirus after a trojan attack and this post really helped me. Thank you very much!!