Kioskea
Recherche
Ask a question Report

Unable to uninstall AVG Anti-Virus free 8.0 [Solved/Closed]

John Swift - Latest answer on Nov 15, 2012 09:10PM
Hello, so I just installed this new AVG Anti-Virus free edition 8.0 thinking it would actually work.
Well, after I installed it i then did the scan and everything seemed to go smoothly. Then, after about a minute a pop-up says WARNING there is an attack on your computer. At first, i tried the activate now (block attack), but apparently you need to buy the damn thing, which apparently led me to a screen with no way to exit out, so I was forced to reboot my comp. The next time I got the message I clicked the other option which was to continue unprotected. about a minute later the samne message appears again and again. I try to uninstall it by going to the add/remove programs but it's not even there. Next, I try installing a new one and then uninstalling it, however, that only uninstalled the new one. How the heck do I get rid of this pesky thing?
Read more 
Answer
+199
moins plus
first u should click the START button..and go to the RUN....and type REGEDIT in small letter..the a folder wil be open...the left side of that folder u can see hds key n users key like that...maximize that + signs n u can c software there..click on that software n u can see avg 8 there...u can delete avg from there.n check all hs keys n software there n delete avg frm there...after that u can install new antivirus....

PJ- Jan 4, 2010 12:16PM
I need help uninstalling avg8.0 completely I miss used the way to uninstall items and it won't go away!
joji- Oct 6, 2009 11:16AM
the avg is not unstilled in my pc.
i'm using windows vista.

the procedure u told in the same way i did but its not working

telling some error occured.
Sue- Jan 20, 2010 03:03PM
nazir>>>
I'm not able to follow your instructions.

From Registry Editor: In this folder HKey_CURRENT_USER I found a sub folder named SOFTWARE and within it I found a folder named AVG.

So do I delete the AVG folder and it's contents?

Should I then run AVG REMOVER and then do I run AVG uninstall?

I'm not sure of the procedure.

Thank you for your help
engineer74- May 4, 2010 12:35AM
I have been into my registry dozens of times and removed AVG and I go back to regedit again and AVG is there again! I believe AVG is the cause of the email problem I'm having, I didn't have the problem until I downloaded AVG!
Lyn- Nov 15, 2012 09:10PM
Really not sure what you are saying here. What are all the 'n', 'u' and 'c' about please. It is very difficult to understand. Can you explain in easy to understand plain language please. Or anyone else for that matter. My brother's computer is totally stuffed up since he tried to uninstall this extremely damaging program.
Answer
+68
moins plus
omg finally avg its gone thx alot

fox_warren- Apr 30, 2010 08:15AM
HOW DID YOU DO IT. STEP BY STEP PLEASE.
Answer
+43
moins plus
Try to use AVG remover-- > http://www.avg.com/download-tools

Good luck
Earth

zameer sandeep - Aug 6, 2009 03:26AM
i want to uninstall avg 8.0 due to my other programm are unable to run
vish- Jun 25, 2009 02:14PM
really thank u dear..... now really free from AVG 8.... i did uninstall successfully.....
your link made big deal to me....
thanks a lot buddy ....
Peter- Feb 10, 2010 02:19PM
I would try that one or head over to the Sophos antivirus page and try one of their free removal tools. There is a great one for Conficker there that I would recommend pretty much everyone run just to be completely safe.
frustrated- Apr 4, 2010 01:03AM
I downloaded the AVG remover tool and saved it to my downloads file. When I tried to run it, I got an error message: "avgremover.exe is not a valid Win32 application". "Not a valid Win32 application" is the same error message I get for every file I download. What do you suggest? Do I have a virus? I have run Malwarebytes and it comes up clean. Please help!
engineer74- May 4, 2010 12:36AM
I've tried AVG Remover Tool also, several times, it's as good as AVG Antivirus, NO GOOD!
Answer
+24
moins plus
thank u this finaly worked for me=P

Answer
+17
moins plus
Hello, so I just installed this new AVG Anti-Virus free edition 8.0 thinking it would actually work.
Well, after I installed it i then did the scan and everything seemed to go smoothly. Then, after about a minute a pop-up says WARNING there is an attack on your computer. At first, i tried the activate now (block attack), but apparently you need to buy the damn thing, which apparently led me to a screen with no way to exit out, so I was forced to reboot my comp. The next time I got the message I clicked the other option which was to continue unprotected. about a minute later the samne message appears again and again. I try to uninstall it by going to the add/remove programs but it's not even there. Next, I try installing a new one and then uninstalling it, however, that only uninstalled the new one. How the heck do I get rid of this pesky thing?

Answer
+17
moins plus
how will i remove Avg anti virus from my pc. i uninstall it but if want to install another anti virus it keep telling me i need to remve Avg first,and i have done that

Answer
+7
moins plus
Hi There
I dont know much about Vista but cant you do a system restore. if that wont work i think you might of been hit by a virus maskarading as a AVG program???
Kindest Regards Tony B.

cecille- Mar 27, 2009 12:16PM
i have a probalem my computer everytime i open my ym friendster stooped my connection i dont know why.
vivinisel- Apr 10, 2009 09:54PM
hi you can go to download.com and get AVG for free,if you have and USB memory you can download a antivirus portable,that may work.
Answer
+7
moins plus
i tryto install new kaspersky full option but they show me a avg file is not removed from my system but i didnot get that file at my laptop .How can i do now no anti virus in my system

matt- Aug 31, 2009 04:08PM
hi,
am facing the same problem,,, how were you able to solve it ? i cant find the AVG ,and i cant download Kaspersky !!

help
venkat- Nov 3, 2009 01:23AM
thank u so much. i was uninstalled avg antivrus completely in my system for using this link http://www.avg.com/in-en/download-tools
cindy matt - Feb 4, 2010 05:28PM
I had the same problem as everyone else, the result being my computer wouldn't run sony ereader library and would download the new software but not run it. I talked to a neighbor of mine who is a computer guru and he advised this:

1) Set a restore point, so if you make a mistake you can reboot in safe mode and do a system restore. Some computers are set to do this automatically if you are making changes, but just in case.

2) Delete the program files containing AVG (my path was c:\Program Files\AVG and it subfolders. All deleted easily except a .dll file that I had to have administrator permissions. To delete this file, I right clicked and renamed the file to a .txt. Then on notepad icon, right click and set it to administrator rights, then opened the file (looks like a mess) in notepad and then save without making changes. This removes administrator rights and right click and delete the .dll file from menu.

3) Do a search function looking for avg* and delete anything that comes up.

4) Run a registry cleaner (I already had CCleaner on my computer, its free) and that cleaned the registry. If you can not load CCleaner or don't have a registry cleaning go to Start, click Accessories folder, click run and type regedit. On that window, click on edit then search. I typed in avg*. Search came back negative for me. Voila! AVG is gone. If you don't have a registry cleaner, then of course delete these files that come up.

Results: I then was able to download Sony ereader software, purchase my epub book and also downloaded a pdf file from another location. PDF had not been able to load for some time.

I hope this helps, similar to ones that went directly to the registry but maybe a little more detailed.
in over my head- Mar 4, 2010 11:02AM
this was very helpful. except my notepad wont work. An avg message pops up that says notepad is infected. That message is popping up when i try to ope anything on my computer. And I cant open the control panel or anything else. help!!!
IvorDreem- Mar 21, 2010 06:45AM
On a connected subject; Why do ALL my computers decide that I am not the administrator of my own Computer. How can I alter this?
Answer
+7
moins plus
Hi, I had the same problem - I ran the AVG uninstaller tool from their website but it didn't fully uninstall the product. I followed the instructions that EdinWV provided on this website and IT WORKED PERFECTLY! Thanks! I am re-copying the instructions here:

>>>>>>>>>>>>>
EdinWV Feb 14, 2009 7:24pm GMT
If the removal tool doesn't work (I could not get it to work on a friend's PC running XP recently) here is an (almost) foolproof way of removing AVG:

download and install CCleaner (www.ccleaner.com) This is a free and very effective cleaner (you can contribute later if you feel so moved, but the program is fully operational in its downloaded form -- and I have no interest whatsoever in this program.)

run the reg cleaner -- I have been using this thing for months and it has never caused me any difficulty whatsoever.

reinstall AVG.

Go to tools on CCleaner and run uninstall AVG. Works like a charm and removes all vestiges of AVG from your PC.

Good luck and a pox on AVG's house!

Answer
+5
moins plus
Heres my two cents worth about uninstalling AVG. First off I would recommend that anyone thinking about installing it....DONT. It has caused me so many problems.

First off...I would not recommend trying to delete it from the registry unless you are an experienced PC user that is familair with how the registry works. If you try and delete it from the registry,and dont know what you are doing ,you might cause more problems for yourself.

I would recommend this -- http://www.avg.com/download-tools

This program works,but dont mess with the registry if you are going to use it. If you try and delete it from the registry and dont do it right,,the program wont work.

If that happens to you....Download and run Tune Up Utilities 2008...go to "maintain windows" then look for Tune Up registry cleaner and click below it "correct registry errors.

Tune Up Utilities is not free, but it is well worth the money to get rid of AVG and to use whenever your PC isnt running properly.

Answer
+4
moins plus
that worked! thank-you

soe- Nov 7, 2008 06:55AM
but i haven't pls advise me
Curt- Dec 15, 2008 01:37PM
That worked for me as well.
Thanks for the help!
Answer
+4
moins plus
thanks a million. it finally worked

Answer
+3
moins plus
If the removal tool doesn't work (I could not get it to work on a friend's PC running XP recently) here is an (almost) foolproof way of removing AVG:

download and install CCleaner (www.ccleaner.com) This is a free and very effective cleaner (you can contribute later if you feel so moved, but the program is fully operational in its downloaded form -- and I have no interest whatsoever in this program.)

run the reg cleaner -- I have been using this thing for months and it has never caused me any difficulty whatsoever.

reinstall AVG.

Go to tools on CCleaner and run uninstall AVG. Works like a charm and removes all vestiges of AVG from your PC.

Good luck and a pox on AVG's house!

engineer74- May 4, 2010 01:24AM
CCleaner didn't work for me, I've tried them all and everything else and AVG still exists on my system! Is there anyone who really knows what their doing? I'd normally be able to solve most problems I run into but removing AVG completely is something else! That's why it's FREE I guess!
Answer
+3
moins plus
ive deleted avast many times and still i get pop-ups indicating it has trouble updating. when i go in my control panel, it says it can't find it, even though im clicking on its icon and trying to delete it. Then I found a folder with all the avg info in it. its located in my desktop folder in my OS(C:). (OS(C:)----desktop---alwilsoftware---avast4).
I ve tryed deleting it from there but it wont let me and ive tryed taking it off read-only in the properties but still no luck. I just want this crap off my computer. Please help!

engineer74- May 4, 2010 01:25AM
I feel exactly the same way.
Answer
+2
moins plus
Unable to uninstall AVG Anti-Virus free 8.0 in add& remove also...........

deepak- Dec 28, 2009 04:50AM
i want remove the avgantivirus now
benetty- Apr 22, 2009 02:57AM
hello, after removed the avg 8 in my pc, i the try to install the new antivirus that i just bought..and suddenly after follow all the instruction,a notice appeared and told me that the avg 8 still in my pc and i have to remove it but when i checked it on the control panel it show me that the avg 8 is not in programme anymore.how to uninstall this???
sushant- Nov 7, 2009 12:06PM
in my laptop i had instaal avg 8.5 but some any problem i want to uninstall avg 8.5 asked me why i do to remove avg antivirus 8.5
niessal- May 14, 2009 09:31AM
i can't remove avg anti virus. please teel me. what should i do?
skycap- Sep 22, 2009 05:48PM
Unable to uninstall AVG 8. Using Windows CP SP3.

Thanks.

John
Answer
+2
moins plus
peice of S %^& didnt work for me i still have the troublesome AVG crap on my computer

Answer
+2
moins plus
this is definetly not the avg yu downloaded. it couldnt be! i have the avg free edition, (actually just upgraded to full version) and it does not provide protection from hacker attacks! or atleast the free version. you probably still have some sort of other rogue software on your pc. avg free does not have those kind of protection,if you do want that protection, download avg internet security using this license code 8I3-NFRG0-QACG3-E64FA-99VNF-6R8U6-ACED that is my license code. you can use it though.

Answer
+1
moins plus
Answer
+1
moins plus
hi...
removed AVG FREE 8.0 FROM REGISTRY after getting tried of its REPEATED uninstallation FAILURE .It is essentially requiered as i am facing problem after taking restore(RECOVERY) set up of my pc files.MS Office document is not opening AFTERWARDS DUE TO security option.Office document help is showing your file is not opening due to security reason .Your anti virus either old etc,,,,,,,,,,,,,,\
pls help ......I dont have any back up of office doc...............

AB

Johnw- Nov 30, 2009 03:03PM
Hi,
I have been unable to open attachments or download any files for some time, some suggestions was download AVGremover from the AVG site . Luckily I have an old computer so I downloaded AVGRemover on to that put it on stick and used on my new VISTA . This worked perfectly so far .
Best of luck
JW
Answer
+1
moins plus
Hey there,
I assure you that this is surely a virus attack and it would be safer to download a new anti virus and do a complete scan .Here is a good tip, try the eset nod 32 antivirus, you wont regret it ;-)

1 2 Next
This document entitled « Unable to uninstall AVG Anti-Virus free 8.0 » from Kioskea (en.kioskea.net) is made available under the Creative Commons license. You can copy, modify copies of this page, under the conditions stipulated by the license, as this note appears clearly.

Not a member yet?

sign-up, it takes less than a minute and it's free!

Members get more answers than anonymous users.

Being a member gives you detailed monitoring of your requests.

Being a member gives you additional options.