Unable to uninstall AVG Anti-Virus free 8.0

Solved/Closed
John Swift - Sep 1, 2008 at 12:45 PM
 Lyn - Nov 15, 2012 at 09:10 PM
Hello, so I just installed this new AVG Anti-Virus free edition 8.0 thinking it would actually work.
Well, after I installed it I then did the scan and everything seemed to go smoothly. Then, after about a minute a pop-up says WARNING there is an attack on your computer. At first, I tried the activate now (block attack), but apparently you need to buy the damn thing, which apparently led me to a screen with no way to exit out, so I was forced to reboot my comp. The next time I got the message I clicked the other option which was to continue unprotected. about a minute later the samne message appears again and again. I try to uninstall it by going to the add/remove programs but it's not even there. Next, I try installing a new one and then uninstalling it, however, that only uninstalled the new one. How the heck do I get rid of this pesky thing?
Related:

30 responses

ive deleted avast many times and still I get pop-ups indicating it has trouble updating. when I go in my control panel, it says it can't find it, even though im clicking on its icon and trying to delete it. Then I found a folder with all the avg info in it. its located in my desktop folder in my OS(C:). (OS(C:)----desktop---alwilsoftware---avast4).
I ve tryed deleting it from there but it wont let me and ive tryed taking it off read-only in the properties but still no luck. I just want this crap off my computer. Please help!
I feel exactly the same way.
I am so sorry to hear about your experience. I can tell you that what you installed when the pop up occurred was not AVG but the malware virus (probably) buy the name of "antivirus 360" mascaradinag as Norton.

I am not an IT professional, but just a poor end user who didn't know any better when this warning popped up and said my "computer was being attached and to click here". It took me by surprise I must say and I should have stopped to THINK first before clicking.

I should have attempted to do a system restore immediately but didn't. I did download the malwarebytes software (not sure of the link). It was able to download by this virus is much to smart to allow it to destroy itself. I felt like I was in the middle of a Star Trek episode, doing battle with a rogue Borge.

My story unfortunately ends badly. After finding part of the program in the C/program files and deleting it I had some functionality, albeit very slow in internet explorer.

I finally cried uncle after I tried to expel it at the root. My computer was almost dead and by the time I tried to restore it with the disc with the help of a much smarter friend, it was too late. She is dead and gone, or at least the hard drive is along with all my data. Now using a new computer but terrified of another attach someday.

I hope you can eradicate this virus before it takes your little guy down too. Hopefully you will get great advice on this forum or elsewhere!

Signed,
Beaten and Burndt
rajmal Posts 5 Registration date Thursday December 3, 2009 Status Member Last seen December 4, 2009
Dec 4, 2009 at 12:53 AM
had a same pblm
your free avg will not uninstall from my p c

Didn't find the answer you are looking for?

Ask a question
I just went through this with my computer, and I don't have avg on it anymore. In fact I had removed it a few months prior to this happening. It is a virus. My current anti-virus caught it after it was already installed in my computer. I had to unplug the internet cord from computer and then restart it. Then I was able to get my current anti-virus to remove it.
Sounds like you are infected with Desktop Security 2010. I have been working on computers for a long time. This virus is the worst I have encountered. There is nothing you can install that will get it, its that smart. I had to take my infected computer to the Geek Squad at Best Buy for repair. They did a great job. I installed Spydoctor Spysweeper now, with hopes it will take care of future infections. Good Luck.
John Swift - Sep 1, 2008 5:45pm BST - Last answer on May 4, 2010 6:25am BST engineer74
Hello, so I just installed this new AVG Anti-Virus free edition 8.0 thinking it would actually work.
Well, after I installed it I then did the scan and everything seemed to go smoothly. Then, after about a minute a pop-up says WARNING there is an attack on your computer. At first, I tried the activate now (block attack), but apparently you need to buy the damn thing, which apparently led me to a screen with no way to exit out, so I was forced to reboot my comp. The next time I got the message I clicked the other option which was to continue unprotected. about a minute later the samne message appears again and again. I try to uninstall it by going to the add/remove programs but it's not even there. Next, I try installing a new one and then uninstalling it, however, that only uninstalled the new one. How the heck do I get rid of this pesky thing?
i'm unable to uninstall avg.09
pls uninstall the AVG anti virus on my system
Ambucias Posts 47356 Registration date Monday February 1, 2010 Status Moderator Last seen February 15, 2023 11,169
Jun 17, 2010 at 08:17 AM
If the removal tool doesn't work (I could not get it to work on a friend's PC running XP recently) here is an (almost) foolproof way of removing AVG:

download and install CCleaner (www.ccleaner.com) This is a free and very effective cleaner (you can contribute later if you feel so moved, but the program is fully operational in its downloaded form -- and I have no interest whatsoever in this program.)

run the reg cleaner -- I have been using this thing for months and it has never caused me any difficulty whatsoever.

reinstall AVG.

Go to tools on CCleaner and run uninstall AVG. Works like a charm and removes all vestiges of AVG from your PC.