Kioskea
Recherche
Ask a question Report

<window root>system32 missing or corrupt [Solved/Closed]

echris - Latest answer on Mar 13, 2013 07:34AM
Hello,
my computer at home could not start it keep displaying <window root>\system32\hal.dll missing or corrupt reinstall.so i try to reinstall but i don't know the program to follow.can somebody help me out.
Read more 
Answer
+29
moins plus
If you have a black screen with a messages like those :

>Windows could not start because the following file is missing or corrupt:
\WINDOWS\SYSTEM32\CONFIG\SYSTEM

>Windows NT could not start because the below file is missing or corrupt:
X:\WINNT\System32\Ntoskrnl.exe

>Windows NT could not start because the below file is missing or corrupt:
X:\WINNT\System32\HAL.dll

>NTLDR is Missing
Press any key to restart

>Invalid boot.ini
Press any key to restart

Repair with XP CD :
1. Boot with CDROM
2. Enter the installer XP CD
3. Press R if like this :

4. Press 1(or the other that show the installation drive) and enter the admin ]

5. Type Like This :
> C: CD ..
> C: ATTRIB H C:boot.ini
> C: ATTRIB S C:boot.ini
> C: ATTRIB R C:boot.ini
> C: del boot.ini
> C: BOOTCFG /Rebuild

6. After Rebuild finish type this:
C: CHKDSK /R /F kemudian
C: FIXBOOT
Sure you want to write a new bootsector to the partition C: ? press Y
C: EXIT
Enter

Hope this can be help you ..
forza la beneamata

Sivi- Feb 1, 2010 11:25PM
Hi !!

I have 2 hard disks on my PC and both have win xp installed.
When I start up I get windows/system/config file missing error and windows xp does not start up.
The funny thing is that the same message appears no matter which of the 2 os I choose at start up.
However when I move the same 2 hard drives to another computer they work perfectly.

I read somewhere on the internet to remove the pc battery with the main power disconnected and leave it overnight. I tried this and it worked. However when I reboot again the system/config file missing error is back.

The system also does not boot from cd even after me changing the bios settings but previously it used to boot from cd without problems.

PLEASE HELP URGENTLY
fred the red- Feb 19, 2010 09:52AM
what if i don't have the CD?
abcxyz- Mar 13, 2013 07:34AM
I am trying this process. I will let you know whether it is working for me or not.
Answer
+13
moins plus
1. Insert the Windows XP startup disk into the floppy disk drive, or insert the Windows XP CD-ROM into the CD-ROM drive, and then restart the computer.
Click to select any options that are required to start the computer from the CD-ROM drive if you are prompted to do so.
2. When the "Welcome to Setup" screen appears, press R to start the Recovery Console.
3. If you have a dual-boot or multiple-boot computer, select the installation that you want to access from the Recovery Console.
4. When you are prompted to do so, type the Administrator password. If the administrator password is blank, just press ENTER.
5. At the Recovery Console command prompt, type the following lines, pressing ENTER after you type each line:

copy c:\windows\repair\system c:\windows\system32\config\system
copy c:\windows\repair\software c:\windows\system32\config\software
copy c:\windows\repair\sam c:\windows\system32\config\sam
copy c:\windows\repair\security c:\windows\system32\config\security
copy c:\windows\repair\default c:\windows\system32\config\default

6. Type exit to quit Recovery Console. Your computer will restart.

klk650- Jan 3, 2013 05:56PM
cant get recovery console to come up at that point, just keeps trying to load unsuccessfully and gives me error
? A problem has been detected and Windows has been shut down to prevent damage to you computer. If this is the first time you've seen this Stop error screen, restart your computer. If this screen appears again, follow these steps:
? Check for viruses on your computer. Remove any newly installed hard drives or hard drive controllers. Check your hard drive to make sure it is properly configured and terminated. Run CHKDSK /F to check for hard drive corruption, and then restart your computer.
Technical Information
? STOP: 0x0000007B (0xF7A22524, 0xc0000034, 0x00000000, 0x00000000)
Answer
+6
moins plus
I have the same missing hal.dll issue but I do not have any XP disks as the system came with XP already installed? I too am concerned about losing pictures and files? Help?

geordie- Apr 8, 2010 10:45AM
you are a genius, thanks for this info. Five days and getting no where. tried everything. How did you work this one out. Thanks again. You saved my life. Geordie.
Iamkloot- Apr 8, 2010 12:19PM
Does removing & replacing the RAM from the motherboard work for the
windows>\system32\ntoskrnl.exe file missing or corrupt. I can't boot from
XP cd because the error message still comes up. Help!
Danny- Apr 26, 2010 10:14AM
I've tried it 4 times now and still the same thing.......and yes I took both memories out at the same time..............please help.....mine is a Dell Latitude D610
luis- May 1, 2010 01:40PM
my labt op has the same problem of windows root i tries everything but it still sends me to the error page and i cant even log in or anything.
luis- May 1, 2010 01:47PM
can anyone plz help me wit this problem of ............................ i have tried everything but nothing comes.............................. and also..................................but then...............................and than.................. so plz help
Answer
+4
moins plus
TRY THIS ONE. insert the windows xp operating system and restart the pc, when it boot press any key to boot from cd then wait a while, when you've already see the press F3 (REAPAIR) press F3 then follow the instructions written there.

klk650- Jan 3, 2013 06:01PM
when i try to press f3 it doesnt stop loading and then crashes with BDOS error messages ox00000007b etc
Answer
+2
moins plus
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/314477

cheer's
nshankar
s

Answer
+1
moins plus
If you wish to re-install windows you will need the windows XP installation CD ROM!
Just boot using the CD! change the boot priority to CDROM!
Then your pc will start using the CD, follow the instructions,
Choose the partition where you want windows to be installed!

Remember that you will lose all your data on your drive!

marble- Aug 5, 2009 06:08AM
When I reboot with windows xp disc, it continues with error message. Anything I press goes straight to error message.
Answer
+1
moins plus
Answer
+1
moins plus
I was reading through the site and had the below problem like a few others, try to connect to the below link, but it dosnt exsit- can some one help me please.

When I try to boot up my PC, I get this message:

"Windows could not start because the following file is missing or corrupt:

<Windows root>\system32\ntoskrnl.exe.

Please re-install a copy of the above file"

My PC did not come with a Windows XP disc, so I don't know what to do - and I've got so much stuff on my hard drive that I don't want to lose it all.

plse help :(

ginanoid- Oct 18, 2009 02:02PM
i just had this problem and i have an HP desktop, so it didn't come with the disks either. (and the thing is like 8 years old so hp phone support no longer supports it) however, hp had partitioned the hard drive with the OS and a bunch of other apps so if there is some kind of fatal boot or other major problem, the computer could be rebooted from the hard drive partition.

even if you don't have an hp, your computer might have something similar. check out your manual under recovery or call the guys you bought it from
Answer
+0
moins plus
Hey guys,
i had this issue too, i couldn't load windows because of the following error <windows root>system32/hal.dll was missing.

My HP computer came with recovery partition so i had no XP cd. however when i booted into recovery mode all i got was the blue crash screen with white writing.

i could view the HDD using another operating system (thank you Linux mint 8, its free, better and faster than windows) to recover any data and search for the missing files and to replace hal.dll then i noticed the entire system32 folder was missing (yes i made sure hidden files were revealed)

i obtained an XP cd but this only brought the same blue screen back before giving me the option to recover.

The solution for me was this.

I obtained a HP recovery DVD which at 1st only seemed to give me the option that already existed which was boot to recovery partition. but this time the cd made it work.
i tried recovering windows with it, it said i was successful but i had the same error relating to hal.dll

i went back again and done a destructive recovery with great success i got my windows xp back to its default factory state.

I hope this helps you all.

good luck

Answer
+0
moins plus
if system32 had corrupted files, the best ting is reformat your pc/laptop

This document entitled « <window root>system32 missing or corrupt » from Kioskea (en.kioskea.net) is made available under the Creative Commons license. You can copy, modify copies of this page, under the conditions stipulated by the license, as this note appears clearly.

Not a member yet?

sign-up, it takes less than a minute and it's free!

Members get more answers than anonymous users.

Being a member gives you detailed monitoring of your requests.

Being a member gives you additional options.