Laptop sound on TV with HDMI cable

Solved/Closed
Jen - Mar 20, 2009 at 11:05 AM
 BeyondPain - Jan 6, 2018 at 07:54 AM
Hi,

I have my laptop hooked up to my HDTV with an HDMI Cable. The picture is great but the sound only comes through my laptop. How do I make it come through my TV?

Thanks

Related:

24 responses

If you don't have a HDMI, and you are using a s-video cable, then you need a audio cable that would be able to hook up from your laptop to your TV.

This is a picture of what a audio cable would look like: http://www.ust.hk/itsc/classroom/notebook/photo/cable_audio_pc.jpg
https://farm4.static.flickr.com/3461/3811864344_f00dea631f_o.jpg

Those audio cable can be purchase in Walmarts and other superstores. It should cost around $5-$25 depending on the length you require.

I hope that helps you guys. :)
bashingheadonwall
Dec 17, 2009 at 12:27 PM
I've tried everything I can to get sound through my hdmi on the tv and am about to go return my tv if I can't figue this out. I've plugged my laptop into 4 other tv's w/o a problem but with my new vizio sv370svt I can't get sound out of speakers. when I open up sound control panel to test the speakers through hdmi hook up I get a message saying the device is being used by another application. I have no other applications running when I test it and it's only this tv. please advise
Hey, I've just connected my laptop and tv with another cable (mini jet) for sound transferring, so my tv and laptop are connected with two cables: hdmi (for picture) and mini jet (for sound).
yeh I have the problem, when I test the hdmi output it comes up with the message "the device is being used..."
hey bashingheadonwall, I had that problem too, All use need is a new hdmi driver
Thanks, you're a life saver. Too bad they don't put this in the stupid manual about the control panel!!
For sound get a mini jack to stereo cable if it's not working through HDMI. Works a treat.

http://www.argos.ie/static/Product/partNumber/5240511/Trail/searchtext%3ESOUND+CABLE.htm
hi I thing HDMI Cable is just for video .... so u should connect other audio cable.
Ok people. The solution has already been stated several times in this thread. It's by changing you're default audio to HDMI.

If it doesn't work, accept the fact that your HDTV is either not compatible with your laptop's HDMI output or your HDTV is unable to generate sound at all, only picture, if connected from a laptop's hdmi to youir hdtv's hdmi. Either way, there is no solution for your "no sound o nly picture" problem.

Ok people?!?
Wow, that was a tad dickish wasn't it WiseGay? Apparently this is NOT the end-all be-all solution.

My issue is similar. It worked before, then sporadically, then not at all. My TV handles all of my other HDMI inputs perfectly. My laptop (Acer Aspire 6930) has an HDMI port that transports both 1080p video and hi-def audio. I switch the audio to an HDMI default and restarted the applications. No luck. I've restarted the laptop, and no luck.

I've just noticed that I can get everything working PERFECTLY if I run though the Windows Media Center program and instead of HDMI use the toslink option. It works and sounds great!!

However, no sound through the browsers (IE, Firefox and Chrome) when I try to play Hulu, Youtube, etc. Is Windows specifically blocking sound through all other avenues so they can use it solely for Windows Media Center? Hmm...
Chosen > osiris73
Feb 7, 2010 at 07:36 AM
You may have to go back to your HDMI settings in the properties screen and fidget with some settings. Specifically supported frequencies. I had to un-check all of these one time when I was having issues with my HDMI audio. Another this is to make sure that in the Advanced tab you also make sure it is set to allow exclusive use or access. I hope this helps.
my solution isn't sophisticated, but it worked perfectly. I plugged switched off speakers to my laptop, disabling the sound from it, and had sound only from tv :)