My Acer Aspire netbook is not connecting to wifi

Closed
kjp11 Posts 5 Registration date Thursday September 11, 2014 Status Member Last seen September 11, 2014 - Sep 11, 2014 at 10:13 AM
kjp11 Posts 5 Registration date Thursday September 11, 2014 Status Member Last seen September 11, 2014 - Sep 11, 2014 at 04:21 PM
I've tried many of the suggestions on connecting this computer to internet, but they don't seem to work. The computer recognizes wireless signals, but after connecting to them, it says that it can't connect to internet. When I bought the computer, the wifi worked, and it has been working on and off for the past few months. I just can't connect it to my work wifi (signal which seems quite strong). Any suggestions would be lovely. Thanks!
Related:

8 responses

Blocked Profile
Sep 11, 2014 at 11:37 AM
What is your O/S? If it is Win7, you must set up a network location, like public, work or home. If you have not administered those settings in 7, then the firewall will limit traffic.

Let us know.

"If you can't soar with the eagles, then don't fly with the flock!" - Oliver Sykes; Bring Me The Horizon
kjp11 Posts 5 Registration date Thursday September 11, 2014 Status Member Last seen September 11, 2014
Sep 11, 2014 at 12:18 PM
I do have Win7. How would I go about setting up the network location?
kjp11 Posts 5 Registration date Thursday September 11, 2014 Status Member Last seen September 11, 2014
Sep 11, 2014 at 01:39 PM
When I go into the "choose homegroup and sharing options" link, what comes up is a different screen that says "there is currently no homegroup on your network". Not sure what that means...
Blocked Profile
Sep 11, 2014 at 02:11 PM
I am sorry, it is under "View Network Status & Task" after control panel.
Sorry for the confusion.

Didn't find the answer you are looking for?

Ask a question
Sep 11, 2014 at 02:24 PM
I don't have a screen shot (since I'm using another computer to connect to internet), but I don't have a "Vew Network Status & Task" screen. When I hit "Network & Sharing Center", the top says "View your basic network information and setup connections", and it has a picture of my computer with a line to the internet icon and an X in the middle. No home location/connection. Perhaps this is part of the issue?
Blocked Profile
Sep 11, 2014 at 03:05 PM
OK HAng in there.

Open up your network panel from the control panel, and type in "location" in the search box as in above example picture. If by clicking in the "Network and Sharing Center", DOES NOT load the second part of the example picture, let us know.

Thank you for your patience.
"If you can't soar with the eagles, then don't fly with the flock!" - Oliver Sykes; Bring Me The Horizon
Sep 11, 2014 at 04:21 PM
So I see a similar screen, but it still doesn't have the Home network icon or link. It just has the computer picture to the left, an X, and a gray Internet globe.
Blocked Profile
Sep 11, 2014 at 12:26 PM
OK, it is under control panel- network sharing. See attached below.

After that you should be here: