External can't reformat even after partition.

Closed
Hyunnie Posts 1 Registration date Tuesday February 25, 2014 Status Member Last seen February 25, 2014 - Feb 25, 2014 at 09:16 AM
xpcman Posts 19530 Registration date Wednesday October 8, 2008 Status Contributor Last seen June 15, 2019 - Feb 25, 2014 at 04:05 PM
Hello .. So this morning , I moved my laptop from my bed to the floor . I forgot to hold on to my external so it fell down with a loud PAP sound . Windows suggested I reformat it at that exact moment but I freaked out and plug out the usb . I replug it and it's installed , exist in disk management but didn't appear at My Computer . I tried partition it , changing the disk name and stuff and tried to reformat it after uninstall and restart my laptop . But windows can't recognize my external to reformat it . I went to workshop and they said it's broken ? I just bought it two weeks ago and a lot of my important work folders got deleted because of this . I am not ready to buy a new one . Please help ? :(
Related:

1 response

xpcman Posts 19530 Registration date Wednesday October 8, 2008 Status Contributor Last seen June 15, 2019 1,826
Feb 25, 2014 at 04:05 PM
My best guess is that it's broken. Some times you can pry open the case and replace the hard drive with a new working one. That will save some of you investment in the external drive. But, the data is probably lost forever.

Remember, external drives are for backup not primary storage.