External hard drive to install software???

Closed
stoney - Feb 25, 2009 at 01:00 PM
xpcman Posts 19530 Registration date Wednesday October 8, 2008 Status Contributor Last seen June 15, 2019 - Feb 25, 2009 at 07:21 PM
Hello,
I'm beating my head against the wall......I have a toshiba laptop that has a broken cd/dvd drive. I bought a used external drive (no cords) to install the software that runs the modem (Motorola) and internet (D-Link). I'm thinking I need a usb cord to connect the laptop to the drive, then a firewire power cord to connect the drive to the outlet. Is this correct and can someone direct me from this point?
thanks a million.....this headache's KILLIN me!
Related:

3 responses

xpcman Posts 19530 Registration date Wednesday October 8, 2008 Status Contributor Last seen June 15, 2019 1,826
Feb 25, 2009 at 02:10 PM
No. USB and firewire are two methods to connect the hard drive to the laptop. If the external drive is a pocket sized drive it might run off the USB supplied power. But, some drives have a split USB connector that requires you to use two USB plugs. These small drives often have a another round plug for a 5 volt external transformer that can be used for power. If it's a bigger desktop sized drive it will have either an internal power supply with a 2 or 3 prong power cord receptacle or a large external power brick. Good Luck finding the right cables.
OK, it's a Sony 2 tier (does that sound right?) external drive. I have the USB connected from the drive to the laptop, and there IS a small round plug (would that be the 5 volt external transformer?) for the power? So, after I get the power cord, it should work barring any other problems, right?
xpcman Posts 19530 Registration date Wednesday October 8, 2008 Status Contributor Last seen June 15, 2019 1,826
Feb 25, 2009 at 07:21 PM
I can't find any reference to a "Sony 2 tier". I use a universal AC adapter with 5 Volt 2100mA output. It works well with my 60GB 2.5 inch laptop drive in an external case. The power supply I have for a 3.5 inch desktop drive external uses a two prong power adapter rated at 5V 1.5A and 12V 1.8A.

Good Luck finding a power supply.