Won't connect to the internet

Closed
chrissie28 Posts 4 Registration date Saturday October 12, 2013 Status Member Last seen October 13, 2013 - Oct 12, 2013 at 09:39 AM
Ambucias Posts 47356 Registration date Monday February 1, 2010 Status Moderator Last seen February 15, 2023 - Oct 13, 2013 at 04:06 PM
I use vista, computer was fine yesterday
internet is connected but nothing will open and won't let me browse
tried restore to a few weeks ago and it has restored it except that it has also lost AVG and won't restore it

can anyone help please, I'm using another lap top to contact you all!!
thanks
Related:

6 responses

Ambucias Posts 47356 Registration date Monday February 1, 2010 Status Moderator Last seen February 15, 2023 11,167
Oct 12, 2013 at 04:07 PM
Hi

Can you boot in safe mode with networking and connect to Internet ?

Let me know.
chrissie28 Posts 4 Registration date Saturday October 12, 2013 Status Member Last seen October 13, 2013
Oct 12, 2013 at 04:56 PM
Hi
thanks for answering
no, in safe mode there is no connection

sometimes there is no internet connection even when there is on this laptop and then suddenly it returns again

I have also tried ping and winsock reset and ipconfig/renew
and netsh int ip reset resetlog.txt
the only thing I can think of that changed was a windows update
Ambucias Posts 47356 Registration date Monday February 1, 2010 Status Moderator Last seen February 15, 2023 11,167
Oct 12, 2013 at 05:15 PM
The only thing I can think that would cause such an issue is a virus.

What do you use as a browser? IE?

If I may, restore your system again to a previous restore point where you know it worked. If we can the browser to work we can work to detect the virus if any.

(Vista is the pits and I detest it!)
chrissie28 Posts 4 Registration date Saturday October 12, 2013 Status Member Last seen October 13, 2013
Oct 12, 2013 at 06:40 PM
I have tried restoring the system and it restores back to when I had a problem but the internet still won't connect. It is really strange. I keep thinking it is a virus
I ran AVG and that hasn't detected anything.
I'm stuck unless I can get onto the net
I use IE but I also had chrome and mozilla downloaded and then I deleted them but they weren't any better.
Today for about 1/2 hour I had one site up connected but then it just went off and it wouldn't let me go further than the one page
any thoughts would be greatly appreciated

Didn't find the answer you are looking for?

Ask a question
Oct 13, 2013 at 06:16 AM
Okay lets check for a virus

You will need a pendrive to put the following diagnostic tool on and then transfer it to the sick machine and then transfer the log to the present computer for upload on speedyshare

Here is how diag tool works:

1. Open this link and download ZHPDiag2 :

https://www.zebulon.fr/telechargements/securite/systeme/zhpdiag.html

(Don't be alarmed is the site is in French, it sometimes happens, the tool will take your system language and allow the download if you get a warning message.)

2. Save the file on your Desktop.

3. Double click on ZHPDiag.exe and follow the installation instructions.

(For Vista and Win 7 users, click right to ensure you execute with admin right)

The tool creates three icons ZHPDiag, MRB, and ZHPFix (If necessary,we will use ZHPFix after log analysis).

4. Double click on the short cut ZHPDiag on your Destktop.

5. If you need to change the language, click on the little house, (bottom right) and change to English

6. Click on the "Configure" button.

7. Click on the Magnifying glass with the + sign.

8. Click on "Search"

Wait for the tool to finished (maybe a long time)

9. Close ZHPDiag.

10. To transmit the report, click on this link :

https://authentification.site

9. Search the directory where you installed ZHPDiag (usually C:\desktop\zhpdiag.txt).

10. Select the file ZHPDiag.txt.

11. Click on "upload »

12. Copy the URL and post it here.
Oct 13, 2013 at 04:02 PM
Thank you - this looks so complicated!!! I don't have a pendrive at the moment with a ny space on so will get one tomorrow and try following this step by step
This is very weird. This evening for about 20 minutes I suddenly had a connection so I quickly scanned using AVG antivirus and it says there are no threats!

My daughter has a microsoft surface and I've just found out that we both lost connection on the same day - me on laptop, her on surface but this laptop is still working and connected!!
Oct 13, 2013 at 04:06 PM
Okay, take your time. I'm not going anywhere.