Missing fonts in counter strike

Solved/Closed
venki - Jan 31, 2009 at 01:41 AM
 gLENN - Apr 12, 2013 at 05:54 AM
Hello,
I have a problem with counter strike, when I run CS all the fonts wont appear , (ex; for New game ,i just get N m e) (for find server , I just get F r ),... many letters wont appear on the screen, and im really getting irritated about thia problem,, my OS is vista -32bits. please help me with this problem,
Related:

4 responses

This solution worked for me also, but in a slightly different variation

For me it was the following sequence of clicks:

From the main menu:
1. click the fourth menu option (Options)
2. new window with 8 upper tabs opens, click on the 5th tab to the right
3. in the next window that appears, there are four text boxes, two rows of two, click on the top left one of these
4. highlight the first option from the drop down menu
5. click on the button in the complete bottom left corner of the screen to accept changes.

Game automatically restarted with properly visible text and menus! Thanks for all the help

G
thanks dude! now I can see clearly.. just change the rendered whether it is D3D or Software but don't choose OpenGL... and when I click the ok button it restarts... and the texts are back to normal... thanks to your help!
AWESOME fix dude !!! Thanks
Please help me .. mine is not shown at all cant find anything ... and when I join a server it says fatal error read failure :(
its really worked.. thnxx
ty bro.....it worked!!!
I hope this helps everyone.

I was blindly clicking around after starting a game, pressing escape and entering the pause menu. with the problem we were all experiencing, you wouldnt be able to differentiate between the menus. but if you are able to click on the options menu, which is the fifth item in the list (drag your mouse around and search for anything that may highlight, make a noise, etc), you will pop open a menu with several clickable tabs. click on the fourth one, and you will see several menu items that appear like they could be drop down menus. the first one (top left area) is the rendering menu. you may see the letter "o" there, maybe something else. I cannot confirm whether or not we are all seeing exactly the same thing or not. click that drop down menu, set to the first option, and voila! you now have text! its set to software rendering, and I haven't tested anything else yet since I just did it and decided to post this immediately after.

hope this helps, and feel free to contact me for screenshots if you need any more help.
I encourage anyone who has missing fonts and missing menues in CS 1.6 to follow this fix. I had this issue for several days and was going crazy trying to find an answer and this fixed everything for me.... thanks bro.

"I hope this helps everyone.

I was blindly clicking around after starting a game, pressing escape and entering the pause menu. with the problem we were all experiencing, you wouldnt be able to differentiate between the menus. but if you are able to click on the options menu, which is the fifth item in the list (drag your mouse around and search for anything that may highlight, make a noise, etc), you will pop open a menu with several clickable tabs. click on the fourth one, and you will see several menu items that appear like they could be drop down menus. the first one (top left area) is the rendering menu. you may see the letter "o" there, maybe something else. I cannot confirm whether or not we are all seeing exactly the same thing or not. click that drop down menu, set to the first option, and voila! you now have text! its set to software rendering, and I haven't tested anything else yet since I just did it and decided to post this immediately after.

hope this helps, and feel free to contact me for screenshots if you need any more help."
gman > israfel
Oct 23, 2009 at 06:36 PM
i have a very similar problem.

i accidentally changed the graphic options to open GL and now when I launch CZ it comes up in a small window and no menu options come up. I can hear the sound of the menu options when I hover my mouse over it but when I click on one nothing comes up.

ive tried re-installing CZ but no luck

please help!
Thanks a lot! You solved my problem. One that steam support couldn't.
thanx thanx thanx thanx thanx thanx thanx
mama it was so help ful I was striving like a blind man in the game
iam not at all taking the total joy of game
it was so help ful
Hey can u send me some screenshots? of the counter strike menu with no text and how to make it have text?

thanks
my email is 12hungd@gmail.com
All of the Steam Half-Life 1 (GoldSource) engine based games' video settings are stored in your Windows registry under the following registry key:

[HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Valve\Half-Life\Settings]

An example setting would be:

[HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Valve\Half-Life\Settings]
"EngineDLL"="hw.dll"
"ScreenWindowed"=dword:00000000
"ScreenWidth"=dword:00000320
"ScreenHeight"=dword:00000258
"ScreenBPP"=dword:00000020
"EngineD3D"=dword:00000000

The example setting above would translate to 800x600x32-bit color depth, fullscreen mode, hardware graphics, Direct3D renderer.

Explanation:

EngineDLL= "hw.dll" (hardware renderer) or "sw.dll" (software renderer)
ScreenWindowed = "dword:00000000" (fullscreen mode) or "dword:00000001" (windowed mode)
ScreenWidth = dword:00000### (### = screen width in hex)
ScreenHeight = dword:00000### (### = screen height in hex)
ScreenBPP = "dword:00000020" (32-bit color depth) or "dword:00000010" (16-bit color depth)
EngineD3D = "dword:00000000" (OpenGL renderer) or "dword:00000001" (Direct3D renderer)

chaNGe the bolded word ScreenBPP with dword:00000030
ScreenHeight = dword:00000300 (### = screen height in hex)
Thanks alot guy, that helped me tremendously.
hahaahha thanks man a lotttttttttttttt