Installing adobe flash 9 on mac

Solved/Closed
linda - Jan 12, 2009 at 02:57 PM
 Gary - Dec 2, 2011 at 03:47 AM
Hello,
i had adobe flash on my computer and a friend "cleaned" my computer and it is no longer there. I tried installing adobe 10 but my mac is 10.3.9 - so I had to inunstall it, which worked and then downloaded adobe flash 9 - it downloaded but when I click on it on my desktop a box pops up that says there is no default application to open the document "install_flash_player.exe." I can click on "choose applications", but I have no idea what I am looking for.
can someone please tell me what to do, as if you were speaking to a 5 year old? I am so not computer savvy! I have no idea why I can't install it as I did before.
thanks so much
linda
Related:

4 responses

http://forums.adobe.com/thread/415443;jsessionid=3D5B36974427A92D43663CE464E9023D.node0?tstart=1

Try this link - but the posted part is:

Go to HD/Library/Internet Plug-Ins folder and delete "Flash Player.plugin" as well as "flashplayer.xpt".

Download dmg file from Adobe site and save to disc. Quit any browsers you have open. Double click on dmg file. that opens a folder which contains "Flash Player.plugin" and "flashplayer.xpt" ... drag both into the Internet Plug-Ins folder. Do a restart and you should be in business!
Thanks for the info--manually moving the Flash Player 9 plugin and xpt files to the Internet Plug-Ins directory solved my problem.
Hi, I'm having the same exact problem, and I believe your response may be the solution to my problem. I am wondering how what HD stands for and how to get to it? I greatly appreciate your help. Thanks!
help in one click
May 23, 2009 at 05:36 PM
Hello Maelgwyn, just wanted to thank you!!!

I was spending way to much time trying to understand why the installation of adobe flash 10 was not working on my mac... I did a little google search and find your answer! Thank you sooooooooooo much! Thanks for taking the time to help! Good Karma!
Patman > kahil
Jun 15, 2009 at 02:16 PM
I believe HD stands for Hard Drive (root). I got the same problem with Flash, then I go to Macintosh HD>Library>... and followed the instructions and it worked :-)

Thanks!
I tried following your advice. I closed my browser, manually deleted, then put the new info into the HD but it didn't work.

Flash player still says a no.

This is so aggravating. This computer is just too old to keep up with this crap. I think this is a lost cause.
xpcman Posts 19530 Registration date Wednesday October 8, 2008 Status Contributor Last seen June 15, 2019 1,826
Jan 12, 2009 at 09:17 PM
That "exe" file looks like a Windows file. I think the Mac file should be a "dmg" file. Try the following link for a Mac version for Intel based Macs. If yours is a PowerPC version it will not work.

https://download.cnet.com/s/flash-player-intel-based/
Well, when you go to adobe webpage from Windows it will detect your Windows system as default and gives you exact version for that system.

You shall click on 'other operating system' and choose from the list 'Mackintosh' and other list your version of Mac.

Then you'll be able to download Mac .dmg file and not .exe
I am having the same problem, only my computer is downloading the .dmg after which I get a .plugin file that my mac doesn't know how to open. Any suggestions?
I found your answer to this after at least 1/2 hour of searching.
I found several unhelpful, spam originating spots.
Finally found this simple but exact answer
THANKS!