I had the exact same thing happen to me. It was quite upsetting, especially after just been given it as a present. I googled it, this it what i found and it works!!!
Checklist to see if your iPod needs a reboot:
. Your iPod is charged.
*If not, you might have to plug in your iPod, and make sure the computer can't go to sleep while it's charging. The iPod won't charge if the iPod is locked, so no orange.
Charging your iPod problem solution, that also works.
* Your iPod might need to completely drain in battery source before you can charge it. If that's the case, leave the iPod unplugged for 24 hours before trying to charge it. That will make sure the power is drained and your iPod is ready to be charged.
2. Your iPod is unlocked. Slide the button back and fourth a couple of times, just to make sure it's working.
3. And your iPod still has a black screen, frozen logo, or white screen.
Rebooting your iPod.
1. Run a cold boot (shut your computer down, then turn it back on) on your computer. * If your iPod crashed because of the software freezing, or the computer crashed.
2. Open your Apple Software.
3. Plug in your iPod. Make sure that you plug in your iPod into your computer, and that the plugs are secure. Your computer should detect your iPod, black screen or not.
4. Set down the iPod. Take your iPod and put it on a flat surface.
5. Press firmly. Take your fingers, and firmly press the middle button, and the menu button. It will read menu on the top button of the click wheel, and the center circle of your click wheel is what your looking for.
* Make sure your fingers are planted on the top of the center button, close to the menu button, and you are pressing it together.
6. Count to 8.
Now you should see an Apple logo pop up on your iPod screen.
Sometimes you need to try it a few times, to get it to work.
It should be synchronizing and happily you should be on your way.
*You also can reboot your iPod without it being plugged into the computer, I always do mine while it's plugged in.
I had to erease all the dta on mines and put the music and everything back on, im actually typing it now whilst its doing it, so pleased i found this! It all back to normal now :D:D:D:D:D:D