Black Screen won't go anywhere

Closed
gene - Dec 4, 2010 at 12:56 PM
imateski Posts 9 Registration date Sunday December 5, 2010 Status Member Last seen December 6, 2010 - Dec 6, 2010 at 12:56 PM
I have a Netbook HP Mini. I can start it up, once I do that.. it goes to the HP screen and then to the black screen with an annoying blinking cursor on the top left. I go to the BIOS do all the memory tests, and the hard drive tests, everything says is fine. That's a load of crap because it wont boot. I can't boot in safe mode, Network boot, regular boot. The thing just wont crank. I need some help. It responds to the F keys, but only to the same crap I can get with the Esc key. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.
Related:

1 response

imateski Posts 9 Registration date Sunday December 5, 2010 Status Member Last seen December 6, 2010 1
Dec 6, 2010 at 12:56 PM
this may be a shot in the dark, but at least it can get the gears spinning... It may be an issue with a poor/insuficient power supply. When the laptop starts loading the kernel and drivers the power consumption spikes and if the power supply is not working well it may not be able to supply the juice needed, and the computer halts. This happened to me many times, but with desktop PCs. A fix of the power supply solved the issue.
Again, I may be totally off track here, but after 15 years of repairs, I'd say that 90% of all mysterious PC failures are due to bad power supply units. I just had an HP 6735 in for repair, all acting up and working very slow, and it turned out that it's not a software issue but a power supply problem. Laptop took off immediately once I switched a known good power supply.
Hope this helps

Igor Mateski