Kioskea
Recherche
Ask a question Report

My Windows XP keeps restarting [Solved/Closed]

Clueless123 - Latest answer on Jan 29, 2013 12:01PM
Hello,
Recently, my Window XP Notebook keeps restarting. When I turn it on, before i can type my password to log into my account, the screen turns blue for a second and says : A fatal error has occured. Windows has been shut down to protect your files. Then, it restarts and repeats the entire process.
I tried going into Safe mode when Windows starts up but it still restarts and I can't log in. I have also tried Last Known Good Configuration, Safe mode with Networking, Safe mode with Command Prompt, Start Windows Normally and Reboot but it still does not work.
Please advice me on what to do next. (Should I try "Disable auto-restart when system fails" ?)
Thank you.
Read more 
Answer
+34
moins plus
first try testing your RAM (goldmemory or memtest)

if the memory pass the tests try reparing your xp, if repair doesn't pass from any reason, pull your HD take it to your friend, back up the data, and reinstall OS

pankaj- Jan 23, 2009 11:58PM
Hai My Windows XP keeps restarting i can't formatt the system because some usefull software were install . pls send me some dos command to repair my system rebooting problem.
thanku
xperienced1- Apr 11, 2010 11:58PM
try fixboot or if you know how to rewrite the bootloader use bootcfg
Answer
+14
moins plus
you can download it from the net

I even think, but not sure, you can download it from wikipedia.

try to search on wikipedia for HirensBoot cd and you should see somwhere download

any way, you can find it on the net

Answer
+10
moins plus
yes. from someone's else computer, download it , burn a disc, and put it in your comp

Karl- Nov 7, 2008 08:53AM
ive done that, but nothing seems to happen, maybe theres something to be done to be able to get the disc to be opened? im not sure at all
Answer
+10
moins plus
base on my experience there is 1 simple way to solve this problem.Use the O.S cd to boot up then do the " chkdsk /r " and select the " fixboot " selection.Restart.tq.

Answer
+8
moins plus
that kind of error is of two type hard disk failure or ram failure
i think you won't repair it by setting up windows xp because
appearing blue screen is very dangerous problem
that is.. hard ware problem

as the blue screen error occure in the process of booting
the possible error is of ram because booting process is the
the process of receiving the data from hard disk to ram

in this case there is very less possibility of hard disk failure

so in my view you have to test your ram by installing it to your another friend

and i don't think installing os will work

but installing os is not the bad idea

HAVE A NICE DAY

TrueReb- Jan 29, 2013 12:01PM
No, no, no!!! That is *NOT* a hardware error. It is a corrupt driver, that is all. It's an OS error, has nothing to do with hardware, so checking RAM, HDD is all bogus...
Answer
+8
moins plus
my windows xp keeps restarting,
i have tried to go to safe mode, last known configurstion etc, but nothing happens,
i formatted my hard disk,(80gb) when i finished and i power it up, it keeps restarting
any help?

Gabriel M- Jun 19, 2009 12:59AM
Hello there, i've got the same issue. My Computer keeps restarting aswell.
As soon as it reaches the window xp loading screen, then it restarts.
Could someone please help me out?
- Thanks
bobcat- Feb 23, 2010 11:56AM
After shut down of my computer the other day I go back the very next day and power it back up it want start back up. The log on screen comes up and as soon as enter my password and enter immediately it automatically logged me off before opening up windows desk top. Back to the log on screen again. The only screen I get is the log on. I tried starting in safe mode and it didn't solve the problem. What is my problem? Help please!!!!!!
sam- Jul 15, 2009 08:42PM
THIS is a blue screen error. This problem is happrning due to newly installed hardware if the hardware is removable then remove it. otherwise chec the updates for this hardware
Amanda- Feb 4, 2010 03:44PM
Did you ever find a solution to this problem? The same thing keeps happening to me.

thanks!
The Ripper- Mar 26, 2010 07:31PM
This is directed at bobcat:
If XP will not let you log in, and just keeps kicking you out, usually that is a problem with the file "winlogon.exe" in your System32 folder. More than likely it has been corrupted by a bad shutdown, or malware. If you can get your hard drive into another machine, you can extract a copy of "winlogon.exe" from an XP install CD (or copy it from another machine running XP). If the registry entry for winlogon is messed up, that too can be fixed from another machine....but try this first.....
Answer
+7
moins plus
I agree with kliker, it is a hardware problem, but my guess is ram

try testing RAM memmory, use goldmemmory or memtest (if you can find Hirensboot - there you have those programms - it's a bootable cd which contains a lot of usefull testing and repair tools, and you can find them under testing tools -> ram testing tool , or something like that )

if the test's pass (which I seriously doubt) and say the memmory is good, test your hard disk (you have powermaxtor, and a lot of similar testing tool on the same disc)

with those tests you do not have to pull the memmory out of your comp, just put the disc and boot from it, you should get arround with it

if the harddisk is good, and the memmory is good, backup your data somehow and reinstall XP

let us know what you did

Aaron- Aug 1, 2010 09:49AM
my laptop doesnt have a cd drive...
danny- Aug 19, 2010 08:59AM
it is simple, jst try and get an external c d drive that can be connected to your laptop.
Answer
+5
moins plus
how do you get these test cd things? such as memtest and goldmemmory that you said? i have near enough the same problem, or the exact same lol

xperienced1- Apr 12, 2010 12:00AM
download ubuntu, it comes with a memtest or download ultimate boot cd....
Answer
+5
moins plus
i have this problem however when my computer restarts if quickly flases a blue screen of death. ive tried formatting my PC by putting the windows XP disk in however the disk does not start, it just shows an error message....

If anyone knows why it will not recognise the disk please help me out!

kidchuckle- Mar 16, 2010 03:12AM
I've tried hitting f8
go into the advanced menu (again hit f8)

Safe mode failed for me
as well as Last known working
tried recovery also didn't work.

the one thing that did get it to work was
- debugger option

seems to be running ok now.
I believe it might have been malware and currently running diagnostics using
Spybot scanner and Malware scanner
Answer
+4
moins plus
maybe your cd wasn't bootable

burn bootable cd (you can make it using nero)

Answer
+2
moins plus
when you turn on the computer, pres deete button while you get into BIOS
then in BIOS find somthing like Boot or Boot order and than make the first boot device cd-rom

restart your comp and than it should boot from cd

from than on just follow the instructions

hope you'll make it

let me know

Karl- Nov 7, 2008 09:47AM
it was always on boot from cd on the first thing, nothing happened though, although im just reading on the Hirens Boot cd site "How to Create Ms-Dos BootCD (Hiren's Bootable CD)? "

so maybe i didnt make the cd proerply?
mel- Jul 31, 2010 10:10PM
I have the same problem and even after changing the boot order it isnt booting from the cd rom ;(
Answer
+1
moins plus
Sometimes faulty hardware will result in BSOD, sometimes bad drivers is the culprit and most of the time it was XP registry was the cause.
How do we fix the BSOD probs? Not so simple but actually not very hard either. Using a couple of prevention measure, we can fix this prob in a jiffy.
First: Do Backup (Macrium Reflect is a good one, free edition available).
2nd: Don't mess your settings (Tweaking XP, OC memory/display/mobo/cpu)
3rd: Do Backup

YES only good backup will help you if you face bad hardware (hdd with bad cluster for example)

For good and handy tools, go grap a copy of Hiren Boot CD (ver 10 i think...) and make a bootable Hiren CD. This will be handy if you want to check and double check your hardware/software.

Answer
+0
moins plus
In my opinion someone has sent you a virus .it does not harm the computer but it pops up this message not because there is a real fatal error but it is just a really annoying joke.now the restarting problem. this virus is a batch file the asshole who has sent it to you has inserted a command that is ordering the batch file to copy it self in startup file

correct it : when you open your pc you have to enter boot menu there you can find an line which sais opening files while booting if you find something strange uncheck it

Answer
+0
moins plus
hi
actually the best way to solve this problem is to reinstall windows on your pc

Answer
+0
moins plus
If the computer restart during creation on of the hard disk, so i want will do

Answer
+0
moins plus
IM GETTING UPSET BECAUSWE I AS WELL AHVE THE SAME ISSUE LIKE EVERYBODY ON THIS PAGE AND NOT ONE ANSWER IS HELPING ME OUT..ALL IM READING IS DO THIS DO THAT...NOT EVERYBODY IS INTO COMPUTER TECH. LIKE THAT HOW BOUT SOMEONE GIVE A DECENT ANSWER "STEP BY STEP" MAYBE EVERYONE DONT HAVE TO POST THE SAME THING WITHOUT ANY SOLUTION..,

This document entitled « My Windows XP keeps restarting » from Kioskea (en.kioskea.net) is made available under the Creative Commons license. You can copy, modify copies of this page, under the conditions stipulated by the license, as this note appears clearly.

Not a member yet?

sign-up, it takes less than a minute and it's free!

Members get more answers than anonymous users.

Being a member gives you detailed monitoring of your requests.

Being a member gives you additional options.