Ask a question Report

HELP I have uninstalled my CD/DVD-ROM driver! [Solved/Closed]

jacko468 4Posts Sunday September 21, 2008Registration date September 22, 2008Last seen - Latest answer on Dec 20, 2012 09:52PM
Hey guys OMG please help me out. I would really rather not see a tech if it is possible but if I have to, I guess I have to. Okay well vista is very lame and seems to be all honkey dorey in the beginning and horrible within the year. anyway, I have a HP pavillion dv2000, vista premium, and i have uninstalled the driver, does anyone know how i can fix it? i dont know how to take my driver out so that's not an option, i'm really hoping there's some software i could use to fix it?
thanks in advance guys!
Read more 
Answer
+344
moins plus
with DVD/CD-ROM drives in Windows XP or Vista

I was fixing a computer the other day and ran across the following error in Device Manager on the CD-ROM drive.

"Windows cannot load the device driver for this hardware. The driver may be corrupted or missing. (Code 39)"

Because of this error, the drive did not show up in My Computer and the customer was unable to burn CDs or read any CDs.

I uninstalled the drive from Device Manager, rebooted the computer, and the problem remained, so obviously it appeared to be a registry issue that I would have to solve. If you are receiving this Code 39 error and your CD or DVD drive is missing and has a yellow exclamation mark in Device Manager, I hope this information is useful.

To solve this Code 39 error, follow these instructions:

NOTE: After removing these registry keys and rebooting, it may be necessary to reinstall any CD or DVD recording applications.

1) Close all open programs

2) Click on Start, Run, and type REGEDIT and press Enter

3) Click on the plus signs (+) next to the following folders

* HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE
* SYSTEM
* CurrentControlSet
* Control
* Class
* {4D36E965-E325-11CE-BFC1-08002BE10318}

4) This folder is the DVD/CD-ROM Drive Class Description in the registry. Look for any of the following names in the right hand column.

* UpperFilters
* LowerFilters
* UpperFilters.bak
* LowerFilters.bak

5) If any of the above keys shown in step 4 are listed, right-click on them and choose Delete

6) After deleting the keys, close the Registry Editor

7) Reboot
your computer

8) Open My Computer and check to see if your CD or DVD drives have returned. You may also want to open Device Manager and verify that the yellow exclamation and error code on the CD or DVD drive is gone

JC d- Oct 8, 2012 10:00AM
this worked on my old laptop too!!!!!!! Yay
Matt- Oct 10, 2012 01:45AM
wow it is really work!!! thx a lot!!!!!!
desgo- Oct 10, 2012 06:18PM
It worked perfectly in the first try!!! txs a lot
CollegeGirl- Oct 22, 2012 05:56PM
This worked! I really didn't think it would and I thought I was gonna have to restore my computer to default settings. Thank you for this awesome help!
sarah- Dec 18, 2012 02:03AM
thank you so much for your help!! Your directions were perfect and you saved me money, you made my night!
Answer
+66
moins plus
I too cannot find my dvd driver in vista. Error code 39. I was not able to find the
* UpperFilters * LowerFilters * UpperFilters.bak * LowerFilters.bak
Can anyone help me with this ?

Answer
+59
moins plus
Windows Vista - Missing CD/DVD-Rom drive

UPDATE

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\Class\{4D36E965-E325-11 CE-BFC1-08002BE10318}

Apparently it seems that this is an age old fix for even XP systems. If you venture to the registry key above by doing the following steps:

Click on the start menu.
If this is a Vista machine in the search box type in "regedit" without the quotation marks.
Maximize the HKLM and then go ahead and browse until you reach the key listed above.
In the right panel you'll see something along the lines of "UpperFilter" and "LowerFilter" you want to click on each "filter" key and hit delete. Click yes when it asks to confirm if you wish to delete the key.
Restart Windows.
Let me know if this works.

nuj (Philippines)- Aug 1, 2009 04:59PM
Hi Ross!

Thanks for the advice! it really worked for me!
Filipinos are really freakin GENIUS!

Hope i am as clever as you are..

Continue sharing your knowledge for those who needs it..

THANKS!
Dani- Sep 13, 2009 09:07PM
Ross ya Gr8 man I love you........lol......i was getting freakn while finding free drivers. so worried about my notebook DVD rom drivers. thanx man. Salute to ya mate. cheeeeeeeeeeeeeerrrrrrrrrrrrssssssss
nex- Oct 14, 2009 06:08PM
thank you very much Ross, ur a legend
Colin- Nov 11, 2009 01:24PM
Your solution worked for me too.

Thank you.

Regards

Colin (UK)
sugamama007- Dec 3, 2009 09:43AM
Ross I'm sure you are tired of people emailing you and asking you how to retreve their F drive again, but I would really appreciate it if you can help me get it back. I have a Vaio windows vista

i did everything you suggested but I only have the low filters no upper filters. Do I only delete the lo filters???

class
class desc
enum prop pages32
icon path
installer32
lower filters
no install class
silent install

please tell me what to do

thanks
claudia
Answer
+42
moins plus
I already have DVD/CD-ROM drive.Suddenly it does not show in my computer.

Answer
+24
moins plus
why did my local disk (E) disepear? i am very angry because i can't install games on DVDs and i can't eject my DVD/CD!!!

Answer
+18
moins plus
Hey my name is Shawn and I have of course uninstalled my dvd driver. It had the yellow sign next to it and i thought it might be easier to uninstall then reinstall but that did not work at all. How can i locate the software for it. I went to the hp websit(dv6000) and it does not have the driver software i need. not sure hoe to fix my stupid hick-up. What do I do.

Answer
+18
moins plus
i have uninstalled my cd drive

Answer
+17
moins plus
Hi There
i have a similar problem to the above but on Xp Home edition and whats happened is my dvd/cd rom and also cd-re-writer have vanished from the My Computer section and i can't load any cd's at all. I have been into the device manager and uninstalled them both and re-booted the p.c but when i go back they are still not there? When re entering device manager the cd roms show a triangle with a yellow exclamation mark and its telling me that the drivers are installed okay but windows cannot detect any devices???? Please can you help as its my sons computer and he has college work to complete?

Kind regards
Matt

Answer
+11
moins plus
WOW Ross your the man!! this fixed my problem and worked for me. excellent

Answer
+10
moins plus
i have laptop, i had not inastalled cd/dvd driver s/w.so that's why f: drive is not showing. plz help me what will i do

Answer
+7
moins plus
hmmmm couldn't find it sorry ummm it says pavillion dv2000?

Answer
+7
moins plus
thank u so much ross i did not want to pay to fix it thank u alot

Answer
+7
moins plus
An alternative to manually using REGEDIT to modify the registry is to use the Microsoft automated support system, Fix It.

My system is a Dell Dimension desktop, running XP SP3. I have a BenQ DL DVD burner that had a "driver corrupt (Code 39)" error in Device Manager.

Running the web based scanner on the Microsoft Support Fix It web page scanned my system, detected the issue and corrected it at the same time! The web page is located at http://support.microsoft.com/gp/mats#tab0

This page is specific for Windows XP systems.

You have to use IE as Firefox isn't supported. I didn't try any other browser.

I searched for a solution for literally days, including hack sites like DriverDetective and other mal-ware installers and getting no help from DriverGuide.

Thanks to Adrian for posting the solution in http://en.kioskea.net/forum/affich-67176-my-cd-dvd-drive-is-missing

-------------------------------------
PJ in (sunny now!) FL

Answer
+5
moins plus
Thank you so much Ross! You're a saviour! It worked!

Answer
+5
moins plus
THANK YOU ROSS

Answer
+4
moins plus
hello,

just go to the hewlett packard web site and try to download the driver for the devices and if you cant get them then just tell me what is the device name that you are in search of and then ill give you a link

shawnaleabrown 3Posts Wednesday June 17, 2009Registration date June 18, 2009Last seen - Jun 18, 2009 03:30PM
hello,

i am running windows xp home edition service pack 2 and can't see my cd/dvd rom... when i go to HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\Class\{4D36E965-E325-11CE-BFC1-08002BE10318

i don't see anything that says upperfilters or lowerfilters

all i see is:

(Default)
EnumPropPages32
Icon
Installer 32
NoInstall Class
SilentInstall
&
TroubleShooter-0

PLEASE HELP!!! I tried installing the drive it has for cd driver on the dell website and it says i'm either not an administator (which I am) or the device can't be found!!!

Thanks Much!!!
Chris- Jul 16, 2009 09:19PM
I have the exact same problem with all the same files in the HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\Class\{4D36E965-E325-11CE-BFC1-08002BE10318} location. I think the problem came after installing Nero but after removing the program and shutting down the filters are still no ware to be found..help me too please.

Chris
texas_7tir@yahoo.com 2Posts Friday June 19, 2009Registration date June 19, 2009Last seen - Jun 19, 2009 11:34PM
dude i need the D drive.
i unistalled it and i need help to download it
when i go to My computer i just have C Drive and i cant see the D drive
izzy- Jul 2, 2009 05:19PM
Hello,

I uninstalled my cd/dvd rom and ive been dying ot play the scc (SIMS COMPLETE COLLECTION)
Heres the type of device please try to find a link:
HP 48X PATA CD-RW/DVD-ROM Combo Drive

Sincerly,
Izzy
anand- Jan 31, 2010 12:46PM
product-Lg cd rewrite/dvd-rom
model:GCC - H23N
Answer
+4
moins plus
thanks guys you were so helpfull your a life saver so nice of you to share your info you the best

Answer
+4
moins plus
WELL THAT WORKED.
THANKS

Answer
+4
moins plus
Thanks Ross. Your solution worked for me too. Regards Colin

Answer
+3
moins plus
Hi, it worked for me too (Hungarian Vista home premium)!

A huge thank you goes to you!

1 2 Next
This document entitled « HELP I have uninstalled my CD/DVD-ROM driver! » from Kioskea (en.kioskea.net) is made available under the Creative Commons license. You can copy, modify copies of this page, under the conditions stipulated by the license, as this note appears clearly.

Not a member yet?

sign-up, it takes less than a minute and it's free!

Members get more answers than anonymous users.

Being a member gives you detailed monitoring of your requests.

Being a member gives you additional options.