Kioskea
Recherche
Ask a question Report

Sound won't work at all. [Solved/Closed]

Anonymous User - Latest answer on Apr 11, 2013 08:43AM
Hello, I'm having serious and very annoying trouble with my sound. My sound doesn't make sound. I have a Windows Vista, the other day I reinstalled it and, since then my sound button at the corner of my screen next too the clock has had a little red "x" on it. It saids I don't have any audio devices installed. In "Hardware and Sound" in control panel it saids it's working fine. I have SigmaTel High Definition Audio CODEC for sound. I hope this isn't my sound card messed up. I tried uninstalling it and reinstalling it but that didn't work and i reseted my computer over hundreds of times. Please help.
Read more 
Answer
+190
moins plus
SOLUTION:
SOLUTION:
SOLUTION:
SOLUTION:
SOLUTION:

I had my sound quit after Vista updated twice. It would say that a 'Sound card was not installed' when I clicked on the speaker in the bottom right corner. Try this before anything else:
-Open Start menu, open control panel
-Scroll down to 'Device Manager', click 'View Hardware and Devices'
-Double click 'Sound, video and game controllers', then double click 'Realtek High Definition Audio'
-This will open the properties menu for your audio. At the top of the box, click 'driver'
-Finally, click the 'Disable' button, and then the 'Enable' button afterward to reset your audio system.

I hope that works for everyone.

asd- Dec 7, 2012 11:07PM
I followed the directions, but my audio device was uninstalled so i couldn't disable, or able it. Do you know where i can find one for my Acer Laptop?
kris20- Dec 23, 2012 05:23PM
this still didnt help me....
indu- Dec 26, 2012 10:13AM
after doing this also my system was not getting the sound why?????????/
Yoraml- Mar 3, 2013 02:16PM
3 years have passed, and this tip helped me just now with a new Win XP Installation.
Thanks a lot.
Mmi- Mar 22, 2013 09:47PM
My sound on my laptop won't work. It has a small red x where the sound icon is at the bottom of the screen. I have an HP laptop if that helps
Answer
+34
moins plus
Go to control panel, then device manager. un install your sound driver, then go to the top of the screen to action. click on it and select scan for hardware changes. This should re install the driver you need for sound. I had the same problem when I reformatted. this works if you got that red x on your volume icon. Don't go spending cash on software you don't need :O)

. peace

omgitsanna- Jun 16, 2010 04:40PM
didnt work..
Answer
+23
moins plus
right click the microphone with the x on it.
and go to playback devices. and if theres no sound it should say no devices installed
with a box below with no choices right?
well just right click the box and it should say show hidden devices.
or show disalbed devices,
just click that and they should come up and then you just click it and you should have sound!

Answer
+14
moins plus
my sound dont come at all could you help

Answer
+13
moins plus
hello,am having the same problen aswell no sound is cumin on my computer and ive cheacked the contral oanel and its not that still im having problems what can i do now??
please helpp!!!!!!
thank you
Thas
x

Answer
+12
moins plus
I fixed the sound on my windows vista laptop. I am pretty sure the problem arose from compatability issues between vista and adobe 7 because it worked after I installed adobe 8.

jane doe- Nov 22, 2009 07:27PM
Can You Find A Sound Driver That You Don't Have To Buy Is There Any Free? I'm Broke lol
arrmia- Dec 13, 2009 01:21PM
im looking for the path on my pc to help me make this determination
LaptopClaffy- Jan 1, 2010 07:34PM
I have a laptop from the HP dv4 series. The sound is not working. The touch-activated sound icon on the keyboard remains orange even when I press it but the sound icon at the bottom of the screen changes when I press the orange sound icon(it says basically sound off or sound on and the volume). Please help me because I do not know what to do
Answer
+11
moins plus
i dont have no audio input to my computer i have a red x on the right corner what di i do about it do i need a new modem

woodbine 8Posts Tuesday August 4, 2009Registration date August 26, 2009Last seen - Aug 5, 2009 04:21PM
I have had the same problem for 4 weeks now and tried everything, did you get to a solution. I have the red cross and it says no audio device installed. Very rarely after a reboot or update it comes back on but fails again after a few hours or another reboot?
Answer
+11
moins plus
my sound won,t work at all on my pc.no sound device its said.tq

trace- Feb 10, 2009 02:19PM
There is a problem with the sigma audio codec and since the company went out of business there isnt any one providing updates. I have checked a couple of blogs concerning this problem and microsoft is working on a update for the card. I have had issues with my card since I installed Vista sp1 and it will not work I contacted sony and tried all of their remedies however, nothing works because the driver hasn't been updated now I am looking for a replacement because I cant really do anything until the update is issued do any one know of a suitable replacement for the card.
Answer
+8
moins plus
Is this a desktop or laptop? Do you have your sound on a seperate card installed on the computer or is it attatched to the motherboard? usually if it is attatched to the motherboard the sound ports will be beside your monitor, keyboard, mouse port. make sure if the sound is a seperate card that it is pushed all the way into the slot into the motherboard. If it not fully seated this will also cause this problem.
you can do a manual scan for hardware changes in device manager by going to Computer-right click, select manage, then right click sound and select scan for hardware changes.
I am not sure but it could be your sound device driver. you may need to install the device driver for the sound card. This is a disk that come with the card or with the computer if the sound card was already an installed component. If you can't find the disk you can go to the Sound card manufacturers web site and look for the device driver and download it. After the download is complete you will need to do a restart and your sound should then work. After the reinstallation of Vista you need to install all additional drivers for other hardware. The Operating System (Vista)holds many drivers itself wich is how other components are working such as your mouse, monitor, video card,etc. but not always, which is why you need to go to the manufacturers web site and download it. I hope this helps.

aawdheere- Apr 20, 2009 02:38PM
my headphonesounfor messenger not workinka please i nead solution this programe
thanks
Answer
+8
moins plus
This is a desktop. And how do I find out what kind of sound card I have?

dusty- Aug 13, 2008 08:12PM
I have SigmaTel High Definition Audio CODEC for sound.

This is what you listed as the sound device. You can go to Device manager by right clicking Computer select manage then select Device manager on the left in the list. Then you select the sound card and it will show the manufacturer. Go to the manufacturer web site for the driver. Make sure the driver says it is for Vista. If no Vista option XP version may be compatible. You may have to open the Computer to get a serial number or model number off the card to look up the correct driver. Make sure the computer is unplugged and you are not on a carpeted surface when you open the computer. MAKE SURE YOUR COMPUTER WARANTY IS OUT BEFORE YOU OPEN THE COMPUTER TO LOOK AT THE SOUND CARD! This will void any warranty you have. If you still have a coverage call the computer manufacturer for tech. assistance.
Rozy- Dec 17, 2008 09:39AM
can you pls. give me the drivers to find out if my pc well be compatible with it.
or pls can you show me where i can get some.
xxc2xx- Apr 29, 2010 10:41PM
lmao... fuk all thees pple lmaooo..... day dunno wah thre chattin hah..... go to
controale pannal...
harware + sound
device managers
'new window opens'
click the arow thing on the right were it says
'sound, video, game controlers.'
right click on ALL ov the ones tht say 'audio device'
then click on 'update driver software.'

jhesss

HOPE I HELP EVERYONE LOL
WANNA KNO MORE ADD ME ON

Email Id and phone number removed for security

NO TIME WASTERS AND NO WITHELDS !!!!!
radz- Jul 9, 2010 11:58AM
on my pc my Sigma Tel High Definition Audio CODEC PROPRTIES is saying THIS DEVICE IS WORKING PROPERLY, But still i get no sound coming.
Answer
+8
moins plus
if the driver is the problem you should download the Driver Genius software instead of searching at sound drivers websites. that program will search and install a driver compatible with your sound card and iT should solve the problem.

loop- Mar 7, 2009 08:09AM
dont do it will mess it up u fag ass motherfucker
Answer
+7
moins plus
I have the same problem on my sony laptop did you find a solution?

jacksor101325822- Dec 16, 2008 06:15AM
mine doesnt work either help pleASE?
gmlent- Dec 23, 2008 02:50PM
I had the same problem after I tried to change my speakers to run my t.v. speakers, I went to control panel and clicked sounds and clicked on digital and then decided it wasn't going to work so tried to return to speakers and it deleted digital and it deleted speakers after I fiddled around a minute longer, so that is how I got a red X on my sound i-con by the clock. so I went to H.P. installed drivers didn't do anything so I did a system restore of only one day and my sound is back, but I still can't get my television speakers to work with my computer.
jmp59 28701Posts mercredi 9 juin 2004Registration date ContributorStatus March 29, 2015Last seen jacksor101325822 - Dec 23, 2008 05:11PM
HI,

If ur OS is XP SP2 and ur sound card an HD one, u must first install UAA before ur sound card.
THE PUNISHER- May 19, 2009 08:33AM
go and download or buy SOUND EFFECT MANAGER or SOUND EFFECT MAKER from realtec.com or download3000.com!!!
Answer
+7
moins plus
u r audio divice is fault plz take another sound box and try again

Answer
+7
moins plus
HI

I CAN'T HEAR THE SOUND OF THE MUSIC PALY INTO MY SPEAKER I DON'T A SOUND DO YOU NOW WHAT I HAVE DO DOWNLOAD I DON'T HEAR THE AT ALL CAN YOU SENT ME A PLEASE EMAIL PLEASE

THANK YOU
BYE

ola- Mar 26, 2009 12:52PM
U CAN ONLY TRY TO CHECK YOUR SOUND CONTROLLER AT THE LEFT BOTTOM OF YOUR SCREEN,
DOUBLE CLICK ON SOUND ICON, TWO OPTIONS APPEAR, LOCATE THE DOWN ONE AND CLICK ON IT, TRY TO CHECK ALL THE CONTROL BUTTEN, MOVE ALL OF THEM UP OR GO TO DEVICE MANAGER AND CHECK YOUR DRIVER SOUND WHETHER IT FOUNDS DRIVER OR NOT, IF YOUR DRIVER IS CROSSED WITH RED, MEANING THAT YOUR PC DOESN'T FOUND SOUND, SO U HAVE TO INSTALL YOUR DRIVER IN ORDER TO ENJOY YOUR PC. BYE........... 
khadija- Jun 28, 2010 05:12AM
i want to my lap top sound driver
Answer
+5
moins plus
When I play videos on different web sites my audio comes on briefy then turns off, then will come back on again,then off. What is wrong and how to correct it?

have the same problem- Jan 3, 2009 06:12AM
just check windows update!!!
Sandy- Jan 16, 2009 05:22PM
Hi,
I also have problems with the sound of my pc, it is a laptop, when i am using skype, I can hear very well to the other person, but they can not hear me, and if they do it a really bad quality, either calling from pc to pc, or from pc to ordinary phone; I have checked the configuration at sound device at control panel, everything seems to be fine there, what else can I do?
catherine- Feb 10, 2009 02:56PM
hey, i also have this problem. i have a sony vaio and the sound used to be fine, then all of a sudden there was no sound. it comes back every now and then for a few minutes or an hour or so and then goes again. if it is working the sound also disappears if my laptop freezes. but if you go on control panel it says speakers and audio devices are all working perfectly fine, although no sound. any help??
Answer
+5
moins plus
alright i need help on how to connect my desktop to my tv so it can enable sound(play something on my computer and play it through the tv speakers) i connected it with i believe a vga cable the regular blue cable i guess but theres no sound now if theres any way i can fix this right now please reply if anybody knows of a link where they sell a special wire please send me that link and ill be so greatful but if you need more info on what im trying to connect here its a HP with vista and the tv is an AKAI if need more info please dont hesitate to reply to this please im really annoyed by this and anybody would be of much help

thanks in advanced

Answer
+5
moins plus
same problem no sound coming out of my tv being produced by computer oviously but i cant hear anything does anybody know of a cable that i have to buy its a vista HP and the tv is AKAI im using a VGA cable to Produce the images but theres no sound

SDGVideo- Jul 23, 2009 03:26AM
Joel,

Your problem is the VGA cable will not transmit audio. It transmits video only. To get audio to your tv, go from your headset cable to an RCA cable, otherwise known as a 1/8" to Composite/RCA cable. Hope this solves your problem, if it doesn't let me know and I'll be happy to try and help you solve it.

Micah R. Roemmich
S.D.G. Video Productions
www.sdgvideo.com

Email Id removed for security
Answer
+5
moins plus
did you check if the sound was on mute right click the x and view your options

Answer
+5
moins plus
I had the same problem. I reinstalled the audio driver and now it looks like everything should work now. My headphones work but I don't have any sound coming out of my speakers.

niko- Jun 11, 2010 02:28PM
I have windows xp and I reinstalled my audio driver too but it still doesn't work and I've tried other sound drivers that I got from the net but it still doesn't work:( hellppp
Answer
+5
moins plus
This thread saved my computer. just did a windows update and my sound was back. thanks

1 2 3 4 Next
This document entitled « Sound won't work at all. » from Kioskea (en.kioskea.net) is made available under the Creative Commons license. You can copy, modify copies of this page, under the conditions stipulated by the license, as this note appears clearly.

Not a member yet?

sign-up, it takes less than a minute and it's free!

Members get more answers than anonymous users.

Being a member gives you detailed monitoring of your requests.

Being a member gives you additional options.