MY INTERNET EXPLORER AND FIREFOX WON'T WORK

Closed
HAGLER - Jun 19, 2009 at 09:10 PM
 Witmonger - Oct 5, 2009 at 10:22 AM
Hello,

my internet explorer and firefox won't work on my computer however msn does for some weird reason and I can't figure out why.

when it starts up though it throws up the C:\PROGRA~1\MYWEBS~11\bar\1.bin\M3PLUGIN.DLL ERROR i've read

what you have about this problem but do you think it could be preventing my explorer and firefox not to work and

for some reason I can't download anything on msn can you please send me a registry fix program to my email so I can try to fix this problem thank you
Related:

1 response

xpcman Posts 19530 Registration date Wednesday October 8, 2008 Status Contributor Last seen June 15, 2019 1,826
Jun 19, 2009 at 10:25 PM
You have had a virus attack, luckily your antivirus has already removed some of it from your PC. One trace remains in the registry which will try to load it on start up.

Ok, do the following step and get rid of it.
Open Run , type regedit and press enter
Go to

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE \ SOFTWARE \ Microsoft \ Windows NT \ CurrentVersion \ Winlogon

and check for the key Shell, the value of this must be Explorer.exe . if you can see some other after that like Explorer.exe C:\PROGRA~1\MYWEBS~11\bar\1.bin... , then remove the second file from the value, you want it to be only Explorer.exe

Ok, then check for the key Userinit. the value must be C:\WINDOWS\system32\userinit.exe, (including the comma) . If you find something else there , then delete it.
then restart your system .

You may need to delete the browsers anddownload fresh copies on another computer and burn them to a CD. You should also run a complete virus scan.

Good Luck
I have this exact same problem and I tried your solution but everything checks out ok. I just can't open firefox or explorer. They both give me a message that says "firefox(or explorer) has stopped working, checking for a solution" and then it closes. But everything else works on the computer. I can skype, play poker on pokerstars, etc.... Any other ideas on how to fix it??
RoadMaster > Guzzy
Sep 23, 2009 at 09:47 AM
I have exactly the same issue. I used Melware and Spybot, but that didn't help either. Any help?
iceman2oo9 > RoadMaster
Sep 30, 2009 at 03:38 AM
I also have the same issue, and everything in regedit checks out that you suggested.
Witmonger > iceman2oo9
Oct 5, 2009 at 10:22 AM
I just ran into this on the bench at work. Everything networking-related worked fine expect IE and Firefox opening. They would crash immediately when starting either program.

It ended up being AVG's "Safe Search" add-on, which is essentially their link scanner (like McAfee's SiteAdvisor, which is a good replacement). You can simply disable the add-on, or the permanent fix was to uninstall AVG Free and reinstall WITHOUT the Link Scanner feature.

We have had other issues with AVG's Link Scanner in the past and just recently started loading it on customer's machines again, only to get burned a second time it seems (another repair came in right after this one with the same issue).

-Paul
Computer Pro Unltd.