Kioskea
Recherche
Ask a question Report

Modem is connected but not the internet? [Solved/Closed]

makafalani 1Posts Monday June 16, 2008Registration date June 17, 2008Last seen - Latest answer on Feb 11, 2013 08:35AM
Hello,
I am sharing a wireless modem connection with my neighbour (long story - he has the modem and has loaned the secured access key to me) and he only just gave me the access key today. I initially had issues with connecting the modem (ie was recieving "Limited or no connectivity" messages even though I had a strong signal) until I figured out how to connect it [ie by changing the Internet Protocol (TCP/IP) settings; User Configured to IP address:192.168.0.2; Subnet mask: 255.255.255.0].
However, this has not solved the problem of connecting me to the internet! When I attempt to use ie7 to browse, I still get the error "Internet Explorer cannot display web page" even though the moden is definitely connected (55 packets sent, 0 recieved so far). Here are some things that I have done so far:
- In ie7, I made sure that under "Internet Options" , the "Never dial a connection" radio button is selected.
- In ie7, I have also ensured that under LAN settings, the "Automatically detect settings" tickbox is the only box ticked.
- In the Command Prompt, I ran a "ping" (ie ping 4.2.2.2) and the stats show no lost packets with an average round trip of 553milli-seconds. I guess this means that I do have a connection to a network (right?)
- In the Command Prompt, I also ran "ipconfig" which confirmed that my "Ethernet adapter Wireless Network Connection" = Autoconfiguration IP address:192.168.0.2; Subnet mask: 255.255.255.0
Still no internet and I am outta ideas!!!
Can anyone suggest what I need to do to make my internet connection work??
Read more 
Answer
+91
moins plus
your neighbour's router might be configured to issue out only one IP address so even if you have the key, if neighbours pc is on then you will not be able to obtain an IP address and therefore browse

Missthankful Vijay - Feb 23, 2010 11:21AM
omg omg!!! thx so much i have been on the phone for weeks with all kinds people. Not helping me but wanting me to pay for their services and its not cheap but i tried your way and..... IT WORKED IT WORKED!!!! thank you soooo much vijay
sameer JoGee - Jun 17, 2009 04:01AM
Hi,
my brother lap top is connect with my home internet.only my laptop is not connect with modem and internet.But when I turn on wireless it show the full connectivity with optus net but when I see in the network and sharing there is unidentified network.Because of that I need your help to re-connect with internet and modem. Will u please help.
Thank you.P
ForgottenHero- Jun 25, 2009 01:36AM
Hey,
recently our internet stopped working so we bought a new modem, this didn't help so we called our ISP and they fixed it. Then our new modem stopped working so we reverted back to the old one. NOW we can only have one connection to the internet at a time using our old wired router. we plug in 2 with LAN cables and only the first one will work! and even when that one DOES work the internet is extremely slow! Please offer a solution as this is REALLY annoying!
rahman- Dec 18, 2009 06:03AM
hi, my wireless is working in other computer,but is not working in my computer problem is my internet option connection is change is a my mistake problem is dial up connection is change. pls help

thanks,
Grudgechik- Oct 21, 2012 05:54PM
how do u figure out your network password if you've forgotten it?
Answer
+28
moins plus
To answer your question, have your neighbor do the following,
(Don't type the quotes just the command inside)
Click on start, then run
Type 'cmd'
hit enter

type ipconfig/all
hit enter

You need to have a different IP address than he has, so if his is 192.168.1.11, pick the last number and add 100 to it to be safe, so yours would be 192.168.1.111 (just an example)

Your netmask will be the same as his, 255.255.255.0
your gateway will be the same as his

You also need to have the DNS servers that are listed, there should be 2 of them, write both of them down.

So, on your sheet of paper, you will have a unique IP address, the same netmask and gateway, and 2 dns servers.

Go to your PC, start, control panel, network connections, right click on Wireless Network Connection, then select properties, On the general tab screen, Select Internet Protocol (TCP/IP), and click properties,

Then enter your unique IP address, netmask, gateway, and both dns servers. Click ok, then ok again.

Then on your notebook/pc, click on start, run, type cmd, hit enter
type 'ipconfig/all'
hit enter, your info should match your neighbors except for the IP address
type 'ipconfig/flushdns'
hit enter
type 'exit'

now try to get online with internet explorer, you should be successful, if your not, post back on here with your results and I'll get back to you.

TJ

Randy- Jan 3, 2009 10:30PM
You know what it is? It's Skype. I had the EXACT same issue. (Cannot load browser windows, when clearly online) I used "System Restore", and chose a point before I had installed Skype, and I didn't have any issues. Originally, I had thought it was a Windows Update or something that did it.

I then downloaded Skype a few days later, and BAM. Problem returned. I did "System Restore" one more time, and haven't had any troubles since. I don't know how to fix the problem, but at least you now know what is causing it.
Rob- Jan 5, 2009 03:17PM
Thanks TJ, followed your instructions to the letter and the wireless is now working on both work and home laptops.

Cheers
Rob
Alexander- Jan 10, 2009 07:09PM
Hello TJ,

Sorry for the trouble, but you are the only person that seem to know about the confusion over the dsl->wifi router->pc problems out of the whole bunch of forums I have gone through during the past 3 days.

I carefully looked at the suggestions you were posted, but could not exactly match them to my situation that I am hoping you would be able to help me resolve.

So, my problem is, when I am connecting my laptop tp the ADSL modem (speedtouch smth, I believe), I have no prob accessing the internet. Although, when I try using the internet through the Lynksys WRT300N V1.1 router, I cannot open any web page neither in IE, nor in FF. My skype is connected though, no problem calling, talking, messaging...

This problem drives me nuts, as I disabled all the security features in the router, except for mac filtering, tried mac cloning and whole bunch of other suggestions I found on the WWW.

I saw somebody else having similar problems in the forum, but did not see your response with a solution to this particular problem and figured you might have sent it via e-mail.

I will greatly appreciate your help on this TJ, and will be looking forward to your reply.

Alexander
VIJ- Mar 15, 2009 01:19PM
TJ,
This is my first post oremail in this site. I am happy to tell you that my wifi internet connectivity problem is solved by following your instructions. i had probem for last 6 months on my new Aspire 5920G vista!!!
I went thru many site, technical experts on respective make of my PC, MODEM and serive provider.
Today it get connected and thank you so much and respect ur knowledge on networking.
Since I get just connected now, i have to watch for sometimes and probably come back to you for a 100% clear connectivity.Even though internet get connected, I could see 2 problem. Every time I have to manually type IP address on IP/TCP-4 setting, Automatic detecting is not working. At command prompt, when I type ipconfig/flushdns, it shows 'The required operation requires elevation' (even though internet get connected).

Let me ork couple of days and check how it works.
Thanks in advance
regards
Vij..
SeaGirl- May 24, 2009 11:54PM
Hi TJ

I am not piggy backing service off anyone, but have same issue as the others. Can connect hard line, but not wireless.

I did everything you suggested - no luck.

I have Comcast service - Netgear - Averatec computer

Changed the IP address and when I perfomed the ping command, the address did change, but still no go.

I have been fighting with this issue for 7 months off and on (b4 I go crazy), so any other suggestions? The obvious thing I think I am missing is the DNS servers.Where do they come from?

Thanks!!
Answer
+13
moins plus
Check and see if you have an IP Address confliction within the network. In other words 2 computers with the same IP addresses. If you do, just change the last number of the string.

Here's how:

Go to Settings (where the Start is at bottom left) and select Network Connections.
Find Wireless Network Connection. Right mouse click on it and go to Properties.
Highlight on the Internet Protocol (TCP/IP) and click on Properties.
At IP address: , change the last digit of the IP address. Chose a higher number. Chances are the lower numbers are all taken. Click Ok and exit out of all the settings.

Now try to open your internet browser again.

Hope that helps.

miche- May 7, 2009 01:43AM
Thanks so much NTT

I had the same problem as the person above, but my DNS was not on 'automatic' and that was my problem!

You saved me a sleepless night

Miche
thanksamil- May 10, 2009 07:56AM
This has been driving me crazy for a week, and no IT folks could help! I didn't think it would apply to me aa I'm a Mac user, but I just went to Network Preferences, and changed the IP address, and VOILA! Genius!! Thank you thank you!
barn- Dec 20, 2009 05:07PM
Your suggestion and directions were excellent. There was an IP address in the setup and changing to automatically get an IP address was on the money. Thanks,
beautiful _rocker36- Apr 5, 2010 11:59AM
hey ihave the same problem but my control panel doedn't have wireless network setup wiz plz help email at Email ID removed for security my ps3int works
dogg jigga- Feb 11, 2013 08:35AM
my new toshiba laptop does not connect to the internet when connected via modem but it connects well when connected using wireless router
Answer
+7
moins plus
I'll will be very interested in the answer to Jules as I have a similar problem. At home, I have the router connected to my PC and my daughter has a laptop with wireless. All this worked fine before she left for the summer. Now that she is back, her laptop sees the internet wireless connection but does not connect to the Internet. Now two weeks later, I moved my PC to another room and the same thing is happening to it. Connection is there but can't access the Web. I know that the adapter is working properly as I use it on my work laptop and everything is fine. Got any ideas for me too?

Thanks

Gab

jeffreyb tjmartineau - Nov 15, 2008 03:32PM
slightly different setup than everyone else that i could use some help with . . .
router with laptop setp up (linksys n)
attempting to set up older pc through usb wireless card (think usb may only be 1.0)
connected per wireless network connection but no ie or firefox

went through previously listed fixes and with ping of both webpage and ip address, i get sent 4 packets but 0 received 100% loss for both

what's next?
thanks a million in advance
Puds38 tjmartineau - Dec 26, 2008 10:13AM
I think I'm having a similar problem. I was on the phone with Comcast tech support yesterday and tried the config/release and config/renew trucks but no go. The modem appears to eb working, the router appears to be working. I have an IP for the router and nothing for the internet and I keep getting the low/no connectivity message.
supergman 1Posts Friday March 6, 2009Registration date March 7, 2009Last seen tjmartineau - Mar 7, 2009 02:33PM
Hi TJ or Others:
I am having almost exact same problem. Have 5 computers at home, 3 wireless and 2 wired. The Dell Dimension 3000 cannot connect to browser (ie or ff) any longer. All other computers are working properly. I have tried it wired with various ethernet cables and wireless. When wired, connection states 100Mbps and wireless is 36Mbps with upwards of 500 packets sent in 60 min and 33 received. Son can play world of warcraft and aim, but no browser. Have don e system restore several times, worked first time, not any longer, even with older dates. Tried the tcpip settings, did not work. Here is my log from the ipconfig/all. I noticed the IP routing and WINS proxy are not enabled. Any and all advice is appreciated.

Windows IP Configuration

Host Name........................: newin2005
Primary Dns Suffix.............:
Node Type........................: Hybrid
IP Routing Enabled............: No
WINS Proxy Enabled..........: No
DNS Suffix Search List.......: Belkin
Belkin

Ethernet adapter Local Area Connection:

Connection-specific DNS Suffix.....: Belkin
Description.................................: Intel(R) Pro/100 VE Network Connection
Physical Address.........................: 00-13-20-88-57-EB
Dhcp Enabled..............................: Yes
Autoconfiguration Enabled............: Yes
IP Address..................................: 192.168.2.6
Subnet Mask...............................: 255.255.255.0
Default Gateway..........................: 192.168.2.1
DHCP Server...............................: 192.168.2.1
DNS Servers...............................: 192.168.2.1
Lease Obtained...........................: Satruday, March 07, 2009 11:34:27 AM

Lease Expires..............................: Monday, January 18, 2038 7:14:07 PM

Ethernet adapter Wireless Network Connection:

Connection -specific DNS Suffix......: Belkin
Description...................................: NETGEAR WG311v3 802.11g Wireless PCI Adapter
Physical Address...........................: 00-0F-B5-8C-D4-A2
Dhcp Enabled...............................: Yes
Autoconfiguration Enabled.............: Yes
IP Address...................................: 192.168.2.7
Subnet Mask................................: 255.255.255.0
Default Gateway...........................: 192.168.2.1
DHCP Server................................: 192.168.2.1
DNS Servers................................: 192.168.2.1
Lease Obtained............................: Saturday, March 07, 2009 11:34:30 am

Lease Expires..............................: Monday, January 18, 2038 7:14:07 PM
Dawn tjmartineau - Dec 13, 2009 09:23AM
Hi, TJ.

We have three wireless computers (one desktop, plus two notebooks), two of which are connected to the internet with no problems. My notebook works for Skype, but not Internet Explorer --it "cannot display" any website (name or IP address). The modem connection is excellent.

I tried netsh winsock reset catalog and netsh int ip reset reset.log . I tried ipconfig/release >> flushdns >> renew. I am able to ping both news.google.com and 74.125.19.104. Nothing is checked in TOOLS > INTERNET OPTIONS > CONNECTIONS > LAN SETTINGS. My notebook is set to automatically obtain IP and DNS. I have checked the IP addresses of all three computers and they are all different.

Can you suggest anything else to try?

Bless you for your knowledge and clear instructions!

Thanks in advance.

Dawn
bssher- Apr 22, 2011 02:01PM
i love you man...u solved my prob.....
Answer
+6
moins plus
thank you very much, TJ, for getting back to me. Still not working. I thought it would be best for me to copy here the response I got for both the laptop and PC. Hope it helps to figure out what is wrong.

C:\Documents and Settings\HP_Owner>ipconfig/flushdns

Windows IP Configuration

Successfully flushed the DNS Resolver Cache.

C:\Documents and Settings\HP_Owner>ipconfig/renew

Windows IP Configuration

No operation can be performed on Local Area Connection 2 while it has its media
disconnected.
An error occurred while renewing interface Wireless Network Connection : unable
to contact your DHCP server. Request has timed out.

C:\Documents and Settings\HP_Owner>

Your help is greatly appreciated. Thanks again and I will look forward to see if you have something else I can try. Have a great day.

gab

Answer
+4
moins plus
TJ, are you still around? Guess you had a very busy week. Think you might have time to propose other steps to my problem?

Thanks. Gab

tjmartineau 28Posts Friday September 19, 2008Registration date December 23, 2008Last seen - Sep 27, 2008 04:50PM
Gab,

Did you verify the settings on the router like I explained earlier?

I want you to check another setting,

Click start, control panel then network connections.

Right click on the wireless network adapter that's not working right and select properties.

Click on the tab that says "Wireless Networks"

Click one time on the network you're trying to access, then click properties.

Click on the Authentication Tab

If "Enable IEEE 802.1x authentication for this network" is checked, uncheck it.

If not let me know.

Click ok then ok, then reboot.

let me know.

I'm here all weekend for the most part, so I'll be more diligent in checking my emails.
Answer
+3
moins plus
Gab, you didn't lose me, I got caught up with way too much other things...my apologies.

On your desktop PC, you either have one of three things, a bad cable, a bad network card (Built in most likely), or my suspicion is a bad port on your router.

On your laptop, if it cannot receive an ip, which we all realize via the router's DHCP server, it should, I'm also suspecting your router.

Do you happen to have a spare around? Wired or wireless, it doesn't matter right now, we just need to see for sure that you can hook up a different router, and get an IP from both your desktop, and laptop. You may be able to search Craigslist and get one really cheap, else try a big box retailer to get one cheap and quick for probably around $25 or so, you don't need anything fancy like "Wireless N" or any of that, you just need a basic wireless router.

With that being said, what type of router do you have, you could try factory resetting the router, plug the PC into a different port, with a different cable, and see if it works. Get me the make/model and I'll talk you through it.

dasa- Nov 15, 2008 05:42PM
Hi TJ,
I have a strange problem. We have a router and 2 computers. One runs on vista and other on XP.
The one with vista, wont open websites in IE or Firefox(thought skype gets connected and i have done voice chatting which mean there is an internet connection). i tried to do repair /diagnose and it says windows cannot repair this connection, contact admin, might be problem with your Domain Name Server DNS configuration.
The other computer with XP just works fine with no issues. I tried changing cables and everything , but my vista computer doesn't seem to work. I did ipconfig and the router did assign a IP to the one with vista , but when i ping any website it cant connect.
i am wondering why just only skype works and why shoud it when there is no internet connection?
please help me out. i tried a lot of things but no success so far.
dasa
Dadafz- Dec 27, 2008 09:28PM
Hey Dasa and anyone else with this problem (IE/FF not working, but Skype working). I just fixed this on my friend's computer, at least temporarily.

After checking IPCONFIG and PING, everything seemed fine.

What it turned out to be, was that PROXIES had been setup for both browsers to point to a fake server.

I think Ad Aware removed the nasties, but the browsers were still wacked.

In IE, go to TOOLS > INTERNET OPTIONS > CONNECTIONS > LAN SETTINGS. Make sure that NOTHING is checked. if it is, uncheck it. Click OK, restart IE. You should be fine now.

In FF, go to TOOLS > ADVANCED > NETWORK > CONNECTION > SETTINGS. Make sure that you have DIRECT CONNECTION TO INTERNET selected. If anything else is in there, check off the first option as I suggested and erase anything else.

Hope this helps someone!

P
shiane- May 30, 2009 11:05AM
Thank you so much, dadafz. After trying every solution in this thread (ipconfig commands, verifying that ip/dns were set to automatic, running winsock fix, system restore, DNS manual/automatic setting, etc.) your solution, which took all of 3 seconds as it only involved unchecking two boxes , had me browsing in IE7 in no time.
Jan dasa - Dec 30, 2008 09:20AM
I have the same problem. xp laptop works but vista only local connection no internet. It does connect in safe mode but not in normal? Did you happen to find out the problem? Please get back to me with any info. I would really appreciate it.
Answer
+3
moins plus
Hello, I have the same problem as most of you guys! My internet says it's connected on all the computers at my house. But, it says waiting for page whenever i go to open a browser or enter in a url. It never loads the page! Please help me I would greatly appreciate it!

Answer
+2
moins plus
I seem to have lost TJ. Is there anyone else that can offer some advice to my problem?

Many thanks in advance.

Gab

Answer
+2
moins plus
You need to get onto the D-link router's configuration page....see if by chance there is a limitation with the number of DHCP clients that are able to connect. I sometimes only set that number to 1 or 2 depending on the client's connections so that way any other connections are rejected. Set it to a range of 10 or so if it's not.

Also while you are in there, there should be a status page, or a page that states something like, DHCP Client's list. Click on that, and see if there are any connections other than your work laptop. If all is like you state, there should only be one DHCP connection, your laptop. If there are any other connections, your security may have been breached if you have it enabled, if you don't, you'll need to enable some sort of security because your neighbors may be pulling off your network.

Look onto the back of your PC for a second, where your ethernet cable plugs in, do you have a green link light back there (a tiny green square should be lit right above the cables connector). If that is not lit, the adapter or the cable, or the port on your dlink is bad. First, try a different port on the dlink, if it lights up...good...if not...it's the cable or nic.

Let me know if you see anything odd in the dhcp client listing....I sure hope so....if not, and you do have a link light on your pc, we're going to have to factory reset the router and reconfigure it to see if that helps you. I'm heading to bed so I may not reply until morning...(I'm in Omaha, Nebraska, Central Time)

Good Luck and keep me posted...

Gabirel- Dec 26, 2008 08:06PM
Hey, i have the exact same problem but if i use a cord to hook up to my laptop from the router it works fine. i still dont have a valid ip or any for that matter but my wifi is asstablished with full bars.. any help is greatly appreciated thanks....
Answer
+2
moins plus
okay, I will try it and let you know how it goes.

Answer
+2
moins plus
i believe i know what the problem is because i have had this problem and if i have contacted to late and you have it fixed then never mind but if you are still having problems with it then you can contact me at Email Id removed for security (i have instant messenger(more useful for this type of thing))

Answer
+2
moins plus
Tj or anyone else:

I just switched from att to comcast on the my internet and now my internet connection will not work. It says that I am connected through my broadband with my direct line connected to my computer but I still cant get an internet webpage to come up. It will recognize a page when I type it in by numbers (ie: 85.34.65.34) that way but not when I type www. is there something you can tell me that will help me establish this problem. Please help me out it is driving me insane! Thanks very much and have a great day!!!

Answer
+2
moins plus
hi! i have a similar problem to most people here, the internet on my laptop does not work. i know i'm connected though, because I can use applications like G talk (similar to IM) but no web pages are able to open up. my family uses linksy (sp?) and evey one elses laptops work just fine. i've tried the ip config and nothing seemed to work. i also changed my ip address to one greater, people said that was supposed to have helped. i've gotten rid of norton and macfree, hearing that those might be the cause of problems, but nothing seems to be working, i appreciate any help!
mm

Answer
+2
moins plus
hello,
i am a single computer connected to my isp through a dial-up connection,i use window 2000 and ppp as the protocol,the ip addresses are leased dinamically.My computer was connected both to the network and internet,but for a week now it's been giving me some trouble.the sstatus of the connection indicate that it is sending more bitsthan it is recieving which is unusual. for exemple 12,555 bits are sent while 312 bits are recieved.since then i am unable to open any web page.
i will glad if you help me solve this problem.
thanks.

Answer
+1
moins plus
Forgot to mentioned that at the Internet Protocol (TCP/IP) Properties, the Default Gateway must be the same of the router that it is used. If you're not sure, ask your neighbor to look it up in his/her computer and see what is that number and set it to the same number.

Answer
+1
moins plus
Website that utilize "sitemeater" (www.sitemeter.com) that has tracking code that counts visitors to our site was causing visits from Internet Explorer to crash. SiteMeter is bringing down every site where its counter code is loaded when the visiting browser is Internet Explorer - The text of the error is 'Internet Explorer cannot open the internet site.'

Tens of thousands of publishers use sitemeter to track their content, including thousands of bloggers. Internet. If you plublish your own site or blog, with site meter, you can regain control by removing sitemeter's code from your HTML - for now. If you're visiting sites you'll just need to wait for them to figure it out.

Answer
+1
moins plus
Hi, when you fail to connect to the internet, go internet options and delete all temps, cookies etc. Restart ie7, it will not connect right? but now go back to the cookies and copy paste what it shows.

Answer
+1
moins plus
Thank you TJ. Sorry, I did not mean to be impatient and no need to apologise. Of course, I understand that you have other things that need looking into.

My work laptop, thanks to which I am still connected to the Internet, uses my D-Link wireless adapter and my router (a D-Link too) so I know all that is working fine, which is why I am sort of baffled by all this.

Answer
+1
moins plus
HI everyone,

Just adding my input. Have a router issued by our local telephone service (telkom - South Africa). Enabling MAC list and many other solutions offered here were helpful in the scenario of my current laptop able to connect wirelessly and via ethernet no problems but bringing home a new laptop would connect hardware wise but would not allow internet explorer access the internet. I simply did the ipconfig /all thing and looked at the DNS setting and on my new laptop inputted that DNS number and presto!!! Maybe that will help others. I am pretty sure i may need to do this at a new site with either cable or wireless. Thanx for lstening Q

Shady B- Apr 26, 2009 03:10PM
Hi everyone,
Sick of this conundrum yet?
I've spent the last few days trawling the internet looking for a solution and this site is the closest I could find to being helpful.
I have a Macbook and an iPod touch, both with wireless capability, and both work with wireless connections everywhere i've tried apart from my own home which is pretty frustrating. we have two other Mac laptops in the house and neither one has a problem connecting. It cannot be a problem of too many computers connected because I have tried disconnecting all other computers and it still doesn't work. I have full connectivity, an IP address and a subnet mask, but whenever I try to use Safari or Firefox I get the 'safari cannot open the page because it is not connected to the internet'.
AAAARGH!
Please, any help would be greatly appreciated.
1 2 3 4 5 Next
This document entitled « Modem is connected but not the internet? » from Kioskea (en.kioskea.net) is made available under the Creative Commons license. You can copy, modify copies of this page, under the conditions stipulated by the license, as this note appears clearly.

Not a member yet?

sign-up, it takes less than a minute and it's free!

Members get more answers than anonymous users.

Being a member gives you detailed monitoring of your requests.

Being a member gives you additional options.