Modem is connected but not the internet?

Solved
makafalani Posts 2 Registration date Monday June 16, 2008 Status Member Last seen June 17, 2008 - Jun 17, 2008 at 09:18 AM
 Iamanidiot - Jan 25, 2019 at 07:57 AM
Hello,

I am sharing a wireless modem connection with my neighbour (long story - he has the modem and has loaned the secured access key to me) and he only just gave me the access key today. I initially had issues with connecting the modem (ie was recieving "Limited or no connectivity" messages even though I had a strong signal) until I figured out how to connect it [ie by changing the Internet Protocol (TCP/IP) settings; User Configured to IP address:192.168.0.2; Subnet mask: 255.255.255.0].

However, this has not solved the problem of connecting me to the internet! When I attempt to use ie7 to browse, I still get the error "Internet Explorer cannot display web page" even though the moden is definitely connected (55 packets sent, 0 recieved so far). Here are some things that I have done so far:

- In ie7, I made sure that under "Internet Options" , the "Never dial a connection" radio button is selected.
- In ie7, I have also ensured that under LAN settings, the "Automatically detect settings" tickbox is the only box ticked.
- In the Command Prompt, I ran a "ping" (ie ping 4.2.2.2) and the stats show no lost packets with an average round trip of 553milli-seconds. I guess this means that I do have a connection to a network (right?)
- In the Command Prompt, I also ran "ipconfig" which confirmed that my "Ethernet adapter Wireless Network Connection" = Autoconfiguration IP address:192.168.0.2; Subnet mask: 255.255.255.0

Still no internet and I am outta ideas!!!

Can anyone suggest what I need to do to make my internet connection work??
Related:

91 responses

Hello everyone. My problem is very similar to the postings above. My friend's Vista laptop cannot connect online, but I can tell that it sends and receives packets. It's annoying that I couldn't connect to my router's home page through the default ip address. My router is a Linksys wrt54g.

I've tried the usual steps: ping from the command prompt, repaired connections (both wired and wireless), reset WinSock settings, reset IPv4 and IPv6 stacks and the like, all of which completed succesfully. I know that my modem and router are working fine because my own computers can go online without a hitch.

I tried System Restore and for some reason, Firefox worked after the restore, but not IE7. Since I wanted to find out the real cause of the connectivity , I un-did the System Restore, so now I'm back at square one.

Some other forum suggested that it might have something to do with a particular update for IE7 (KB947864). I checked it and sure enough, it was on the laptop. I uninstalled it but still no joy.

I also believe that this is caused by a malware, as my friend told me that he downloaded and tried to install some game before the issues started.

Hopefully we can find a fix soon, otherwise I would just have to wipe out the hard drive and do a reinstall.
19 Udosen Uko, Uyo Akwa Ibom State, Nigeria
Oct 27, 2008 at 08:24 AM
Help me use my mobile phone to browse the internet when plug.
hey mate i've got a similar problem my sis got a tp-link wireless adapter for her laptop and were using a buffalo router. I started using her adapter on my own pc in my room and it was working fine for a while untill I had to restore my pc back to factory settings and every time I install the software open it up and goto scan for available networks nothing shows but the internet still works on her laptop so its not a problem with the adaptor and the internet is still working on the family computer so its obviously my pc. I was thinking when I restored my pc it wiped off some software needed but I can for the life of me think what.
Any help would be appreciated.
cheers.
TJ you are the man. Your thoughtful discussion above helped me to help myself and put an end to my network misery!! Thanks. Gracias. Gomapsumnida!!!

Didn't find the answer you are looking for?

Ask a question
how to accelerate the internet, and how to solve the problem when modem is connected but no inetrnet.
ok I just got a computer from my grandmother and I entered my dads key in to get connected wirelessly and it says im connected wirelessly but then I try going onto the internet and it keeps saying page cannot be displayed I tryed going to the ip adress and changing the last digit but it wont work what do I do!
tjmartineau Posts 38 Registration date Friday September 19, 2008 Status Member Last seen December 23, 2008 4
Nov 28, 2008 at 09:55 PM
Read through the posts on this topic and make sure you try the troubleshooting steps I mentioned. If none of them work, I've discovered a new malware program that is changing proxy settings in Internet Explorer versions 6 and 7, try the following and see if it pertains to you.

1. Open up internet explorer
2. Click on Tools, then internet options
3. Click the Connections tab
4. Click the LAN Settings button

NOTHING should be checked on these boxes for normal DSL and Cable useage. (UNLESS you were told by your ISP)

If one or more are checked, uncheck them, click OK, then Ok again, close Internet Explorer and reopen it.

You may now be able to get online. I only state this, because one of my customers ran into an issue over the week and that's how I got him up and running again.

If it does indeed work for you, download spybot, or adaware free, and scan the heck out of your computer (Only do full system scans, they take longer, but work better) delete any findings, veryify your proxy settings like above, and enjoy.

Let me know your findings whether or not this works, we'll get you going.

TJ
Mace > tjmartineau Posts 38 Registration date Friday September 19, 2008 Status Member Last seen December 23, 2008
Dec 14, 2008 at 04:42 AM
Hey TJ, Just read your blog about IE 6+7 where you said to do these steps.

1. Open up internet explorer
2. Click on Tools, then internet options
3. Click the Connections tab
4. Click the LAN Settings button

NOTHING should be checked on these boxes for normal DSL and Cable useage. (UNLESS you were told by your ISP)

It worked and I was playing around with everything for about 10hours yesterday.
What a LEGEND!!
Thankyou!
saz290 > tjmartineau Posts 38 Registration date Friday September 19, 2008 Status Member Last seen December 23, 2008
Feb 19, 2009 at 02:30 PM
tj please help me as I see you clearly know a lot about this stuff.

My PC, laptop and PS3 all recieve the signal but don't display web pages.

I have a PC and a laptop. My Belkin router is connected directly into my PC and gives a wireless signal to the laptop. Neither can pick up an internet signal. I tried connecting my broadband directly to my laptop without the router, but it gave me limited or no connectivity. I do beleive I need to change the IP address for this though as it did the same thing with another broadband cable. (I would try and connect directly without router to my PC but it is seriously broken)

I also have a PlayStation3 which picks up this wireless signal and although it acknowledges the signal, it tells me I was signed out because of a DNS error. I think that the DNS is the problem with everything and the PS3 and laptop gave me an IP conflict when I first set up Playstation Online but I'm not sure.

Please help me, I'll always respond

Sami
I managed to find on the internet on my computer how to fix my brothers internet problem that had little or no connectivity and was not able to repair its internet ip adress.

the solution that I found that works is to open command promopt and type netsh winsock reset after that it should do some stuff and tell you to restart your computer, after restarting the internet should work again.
but my brothers computer had a blue screen come up and he had to restart agian ( also happened just before the internet problem which could be a virus or some thing) but is so far working good.
GiantLeap Posts 85 Registration date Saturday November 29, 2008 Status Member Last seen December 8, 2008 45
Nov 30, 2008 at 10:19 AM
You need to manually specify DNS and gateway data for TCP/IP protocol
Hello,
I'm having a very similar problem to those posted above. I have a modem with wireless capabilities. On my main pc, it is wired to the modem. Also I have another pc, wired to a router, then to the modem. We have two laptops and the two pcs. Just the other day we started having connection issues. The computers are wired, and the connection is working b/c I am able to sign into instant messenger. However when I try to connect to a webpage it will not work. This is with both computers plugged in, when I unplug one of the computers then the other will work fine without any connection troubles. Any fixes? Thanks a million!
GiantLeap Posts 85 Registration date Saturday November 29, 2008 Status Member Last seen December 8, 2008 45
Dec 3, 2008 at 12:40 PM
make sure your gateway is not configured for "bridging"
Hello, okay im not sure if my problem is the same but I think you may be able to help me out on this...Well lets see here when ever I try to surf the web says that im not connect to the internet at all but yet Im logged on my video game "World of Warcraft" playing smooth and everything, its just that I am not able to surf the net at times only for like 20-40seconds maybe more at times. Now would you know about this problem at all?
One more thing to add to my description of my internet connection problem above:

I am able to connect wirelessly to an unsecured network at my office.

Jen
i had the same problem
go to network connections.
Right click on wireless network connection
click properties
highlight "internet protocol [TCP/IP] and click properties
click the dot/circle next to obtain ip address automatically
click ok
click ok on the next window
and try to acess the internet again

it worked for me hope it works for you :)
Hey guys, my comnputer has been like this for about a year! I've had to use my fiance's. Anyways, I really needed my computer for upcoming classes so I logged on and found this site. The IP address was my problem. It wasn't set to "automatically detect IP address." One click of the radio button, and magic! It worked.
I have done everything you have said to do on here but mines still not working.
my desktop works, my 1 laptop works but the 2nd laptop dose not.
I can't get my head around this.
can anyone help me?
Hi, your problem is most likely that you specified the IP yourseld, you should never do that (unless you have a very good reason to) as routers use DHCP, which automatically provides you with an IP address, most routers are set to 192.168.1.1, so the next computer to connect either via wireless or wired would have IP 192.168.1.2 assigned to it.

Most routers have whats called a DHCP Lease, that means that the IP address assigned to a computer will be the same one for a set period of time, for example:

Our example router is set to have a DHCP Lease time of 24hrs, and its self assigned IP is 192.168.1.1

If PC1 (IP Not assigned but TCP/IP setting set to "Obtain an IP address automatically" (Default setting unless youve tampered, ahem!)) connects to the router (192.168.1.1 by default) then the DHCP server built into the router will assign PC1 an IP of 192.168.1.2

Now Laptop1 (IP set as 192.168.1.2 by user) connects to the router, the router has already assigned 192.168.1.2 to PC1 and so refuses the connection to be made to Laptop1.

If PC1 doesnt connect again for 24Hrs (our DHCP Lease time) then the IP 192.168.1.2 will be available.

You will need to speak to your neighbour to see if he/she/it/they have set the router to limit the IP address's that are available.

For example...

My own personal network, the router is (by default and not changable) 192.168.1.1, the maximum connections allowed to a network prefix (192.168.1.XXX) is 254, so with the router set as 192.168.1.1 that leaves me with 253 available IP address's. Now, Im not a school/college/business, so I have no need for 253 address's.

On a wireless network your router is broadcast, meaning anyone within range of the router can pick up the signal and connect to that router, but thats where encryptions/passcodes or whatever you wanna call it come in. They allow people to see your connection, but not access it without the key/code. You can hide your routers wireless connection, the router and network will both work fine, however you will need to know what your connecting to. Anyway moving on as from what I can tell youve got it set to broadcasting with encryptions so thats fine. However you must check what protocol the router is using (most likely WEP or WPA) as again, that will stop you connecting.

On my network I have 5 devices that need an IP...

The Router,
My computer,
My Xbox360,
My girlfriends Laptop,
Friends Laptop,

My computer and xbox360 are both wired to the router (it wouldnt be practical to sit on the sofa or bed with my pc or xbox360)

So I have the five devices that need internet, I now need 5 IP address's, while all of them are able to get one, and the wireless is encrypted (Encryption is WPA-PSK) I dont want anyone to be able to hack my network (although I do somewhat doubt the likely hood of anybody on my street being capable of hacking) so Ive set the router to have a maximum of 5 IP address's, which are...

Router - 192.168.1.1
Xbox360 - 192.168.1.2
My Computer - 192.168.1.3
Girlfriends Laptop - 192.168.1.4
Friends Laptop - 192.168.1.5

The setting is called DHCP IP Address Range, with start and end boxes that I can put IP address into, so my router is 192.168.1.1 so Ill want my start IP address to be 192.168.1.1 and Ill want my end IP address to be 192.168.1.5 because that then allows all the devices I want to connect to have their own IP address. Which they do.

Because Ive also setup my router to have static IP address's with those devices it means that the xbox360 will always automatically be assigned 192.168.1.2 by the router, no settings have been applied to the TCP/IP settings of the connecting devices because they dont need to know as the router is the decider or what IP address they recieve, so the devices are set to obtain an IP address automatically, which is the default setting on all computers. Its like if I lock my house (my house being the router and me being the DHCP server) and someone comes to my house (a device) only if I (the dhcp server) unlocks the door, can they come in, with having the IP address's set to static its like having all my friends (aka devices) sat/stood in all the windows and doors of my house, so the person I dont want to come in (such as a hacker) has to get past them, which would be exceedling difficult.

The reason for which is because of whats called a MAC code, this is an address/name or however you like to term it for that device, the MAC code isnt assigned by the router, its one thats assigned and permanent on the computers network adapter, and as your router is a network adapter, yes you guess it, its got one too! So our DHCP Servers name is Adam, Adam has been working at the Router Nightclub since its first day of operation, hes the 24/7 Door Man, and our computers name is Ben, Ben is a Highly Sophisticated Clubber, Ben has a very distinct face because its made up of a long string of numbers and letters that he randomly selected and tattooed on his face (Ben is a very tough sophisticated person, dont you agree?)

Adam knows Ben because of his distinct face, and the Club Manager has told Adam to always let Ben in, no matter what time he comes around.

Thats how MAC's work, routers work and how DHCP Servers work and Static Ip's work. You should be suffering from eye strain, aswell as on your way to configuring and setting up your neighbours network, or your own whoever you are whose reading this with a similar problem.

Jesta

This is whats happening to your connection and why you cant connect. Simply go back to your TCP/IP settings, I dont know what version of windows your using but you managed to do it once so Im sure youll manage again. If you need help with it, google or email me at Email Id removed for security and Ill walk you through it with some pictures.
can any1 help me, I have my main computer connecting to the internet no promblem and my brothers laptop has been fine until now. I got a laptop the other day and set it up, tryed installing broadband to it and it wouldnt. but for some reason the same day my brothers laptop has not worked agen. it is saying that WiFi is disconnectd and I cant get it connected agen therfore is aol wont working? im really confused with this 1
Hi all and TJ who seems to be the man!

I am a techy but haven't worked on xp for sometime, I am at a friends for a few days and they have a strange problem... need your help!

They have an Orange Broadband connection connecting through a livebox.

1 PC
2 XBOX

attached no problem...

But the main PC they use has suddenly stopped connecting.. when I first looked they had limited or no connectivity, I have solved that and attached them to the router, but using IE7 it doesn't display any web pages...

I have pinged the router and checked all setting in network are the same as other pc...

I have got onto web pages using the IP address no problem so we defiantly have internet connection but it can't resolve actual domain names...

So from memory it's a winsock or DNS...

I have used the netsh winsock reset to restore original winsock settings but that hasn't solved the problem...

Any other suggestions would be greatly appreciated...

Kind regards
Rich
i have similar problems as above
i have a belkin wirless modem and it had great signal but
when im connected to it wont let me on the internet it says limited
access most of the the time and I carnt get on the internet even though
i am connected to a network can any one help?
It is a problem of virus, so install new anti virus or reinstall the same. maximum the problem will be solved by this method. try it easy to do.
To all,

Fixed this problem on my d-link router by changing the Primary DNS Address on the Router Internet Manual Connection Settings to 0.0.0.0.

It was populated with my router IP - 192.168.0.1, but when I changed it to 0.0.0.0, everything works.
Hi do you think you could give me a step by step idiot guide to how you changed the settings on your DLink - when it is switched on my laptop sees the wirless setting but cant see the internet although when laptop directly into a modem I get no prob with internet. I dont understand how t change the ip address etc and I reading all this stuff bout IPV6 but what I need is an idiot guide ie turn on laptop and modem dont turn on router and then open start etc as I reading all this change the Internet Protocol and right click etc (Im on vista I cant even see where half these settings are)

Can someone kind and patient please help lol

Dipidy