Brother DCP 1000 installation

Closed
sylmarjim - May 21, 2009 at 01:21 PM
tommo2785 Posts 15 Registration date Wednesday June 17, 2009 Status Member Last seen June 19, 2009 - Jun 18, 2009 at 10:13 PM
Hello,
How do I find and install drivers for the DCP 1000? Linux "thinks" that aDCP 1200 driver will work but it doesn't. I tried to find my way through the instructions on Brother's suyport site but it leaves me still lost. BTW I also have a Microsoft wireless comfort keyboard 1.0A that I can't setup.

Should I forget Linux and go back to XP. Am using ubuntun 9.04.

Please help
Related:

2 responses

brother drciver para scanner dcp 1000
tommo2785 Posts 15 Registration date Wednesday June 17, 2009 Status Member Last seen June 19, 2009 2
Jun 18, 2009 at 10:13 PM
STAY WITH LINUX, it is worth it.
the files you need are the cups packages
cups stands for Common Unix Print System
open synaptec or add remove programs from the system menu search cups and select and install the right one.
In my experience with Ubuntu it automatically deteced my printer on pluggin it in and prompted me to instal the packaes that were relevent. I have a commercial printer though. A HP colour laser 2605dn. I have never tried with a brother only Hp's and cannons
as far as your keyboard i do not know what your problem is. A keyboard is just a keyboard. simple, nothing else matters to the OS even if it is a MS keyboard. Are you refering to your hot keys like volume dial calc interet messenger buttons etc?
I don't have an operational Ubuntu box atm however i run fedora and the fell is rather similar on mine it is
->System>Preferences>Hardware>Keyboard
or alternatively open a terminal and type $ sudo gnome-keyboard-properties thsi package name should be independant of Distro as it is part of the gnome enviroment
Once open go through and change all your setting the way you want it, but for hot keys go to the layouts tab. and where it says keyboard model unknown hit the drop down menu and choose the one that best suits A ms keyboard is exactly the same as a ms comfort board to the computer.
Do the sme with your mouse settings.
While in the setup area you will notice that Ubuntu is a lot more powerfula dn customizable than windows when you see how you can change it and what you can do.
Simple thisgs like having two windows open at the same just move your mouse over either of the windows and you can scroll that window without clicking still keeping the other selected. Good for research work and assingnments etc. and lots of other little tweaks that i only remember when i go back on a MS pc and its not working properly and i get frustrated.

Let me know how you go mate. Just stay with Ubuntu though its really good, also google ubuntu help for help sites or jsut gooogle keywords of your problem with ubuntu following it.;
https://help.ubuntu.com/ is the official help sit however i like thes three as well. basicly if you search you will never have to ask a question because someone hasalready asked it.
ubuntuforums.org/ ubuntulinuxhelp.com/10-things-to-do-after-installing-ubuntu-linux/ https://wiki.ubuntu.com/HowToGetHelp read the 10 things to do thread. its very good and gets stuff on your system Carnonical can't provide on teh DVD for legal reasons but can provide later also the how to get help. but both of the sites those threads are on are very good resource tools too
Contact me if you have trouble