Lost "Repair My Computer" Option in Boot

Closed
TSBoy - May 8, 2009 at 03:09 AM
 TSBoy - May 8, 2009 at 03:22 PM
Hello Guys

I have a one month old Toshiba Satellite. It turned out that a Service or Startup kept making my system "Hang" at my Vista Welcome Screen or I was only able to get to the desktop before it would freeze and the wheel kept spinning, and a stupid Toshiba rep never gave me this option to stop service or disable programs until I did it myself! Anyway I fixed it by going to MSCONFIG and disabling all STARTUP programs (yes all) and Stopping three Symantec related SERVICES.

Here is the issue now.... Up until yesterday (before I was able to MSCONFIG myself out of the whole mess), upon pressing F8 repeatedly I was always able to get to the "Advanced Boot Option", which till then also gave me the option to "Repair My Computer" and hence Run Recovery Options and other Restore options etc. etc., That first "Repair My Computer" option has NOW mysteriously dissappeared from the F8 Advanced Boot Menu and I cannot get to the option to "Reset to Factory Settings" or any of those other options there. When I called Toshiba again to ask them where the option went they told me since there is nothing wrong with the computer anymore, I will not be offered that option until the next time something goes wrong. :/?

I hate to say is but there seems something strangely inaccurate with that statement. Nowhere in the Windows Help does it say that the the Repair My Computer Options would not come up during "Peacetime." Windows Help says if you it came installed on your computer you can get to it by pressing F8. Can someone clarify whether what this rep told me is true? I don't think my Boot partition is damaged. I could swear I saw some other Options there in the "Repair My Computer" menu which could also apply during "Peacetime" or hold true during an otherwise "trouble-free" time.
Is there another way for me to bring up this Repair Utility? (Pressing 0 / Zero or "C" didn't work either since I tried with the rep and we couldn't find it in Setup Utility or by pressing F11)

[In addition I am unable to System Restore to any point before this whole mess to see if that brings it up but that is another story ;)]
Related:

1 response

sinking38 Posts 8 Registration date Saturday March 28, 2009 Status Member Last seen June 18, 2009 10
May 8, 2009 at 06:48 AM
hi,
you should get Windows Vista installation CD so as to be able to repair your windows.
if you dont have it, buy it.
Listen Since I am now back in my computer I am able to use the Toshiba Utility "Recovery Disc Creator" on 3 DVDs so that is not the problem. I'm just trying to figure out why I can't get to the Pre-installed Recovery Options on my computer anymore. Kindly Re-read my question and respond.

Again this is a new issue. Ever since my computer is up and running again, for some reason I cannot find the "Repair My Computer" option on the Advanced Boot Menu - it doesn't show at all while all the other options still do. The tech said since there is nothing to fix it won't show until next time it goes down.