Why cant i connect to internet after bringing my dell to default

Closed
citylady - Feb 8, 2016 at 07:52 PM
 Citylady - Feb 10, 2016 at 07:57 AM
i have a dell inspiron 9400 , i brought it to factory default settings and now i cant connect to internet. does anyone have a solution or answer why?
Related:

1 response

BrianGreen Posts 1005 Registration date Saturday January 17, 2015 Status Moderator Last seen September 30, 2021 150
Feb 8, 2016 at 07:58 PM
Are you trying to connect wirelessly? if so you may not have the drivers for the wireless network card installed. You can check this in Device Manager.
Thankyou but im still lost, i checked in device manager, dont see anything that says i have wireless network card, how do i install if its not there?
BrianGreen Posts 1005 Registration date Saturday January 17, 2015 Status Moderator Last seen September 30, 2021 150
Feb 10, 2016 at 12:39 AM
Hi CityLady

The best way at this point to get it would be to connect the machine to your router with a network cable. You should then have access to the internet.

Now in Device Manager, you should be able to right click on any devices that say anything like "Network Device" or "Miniport" and then choose to update the driver.

It will ask you to supply a driver or search for a driver. Choose "Search for a driver". this can take some time and is not always successful, but is usually ok.

It would be a good idea to do this with all devices that have a red cross by them. When you have the wireless connection icon on your notification area, then you can remove the network cable and continue wirelessly, but you will need to connect to your router using whatever security code you have.
Hi, I believe that's the problem, I'm sure there is at least one or two drivers missing so I will try to connect to my internet with cable and see if I can get on line to install missing drivers. Thanks, I will let you know if that works. Appreciate your help
Linda