Laptop not starting and I can't see why

Closed
Scarlet - Nov 14, 2015 at 09:14 AM
NGScarlet Posts 2 Registration date Saturday November 14, 2015 Status Member Last seen November 14, 2015 - Nov 14, 2015 at 06:21 PM
I have an Acer laptop and it's screen is broken, so I have a second monitor attached. The only problem is that the monitor stars when I am on lock screen, not when the computer starts. Yesterday, I decided to delete AVG because it was giving me trouble. I downloaded their removal tool and when it finished it required a reboot. When I rebooted, it didn't start normally. I tried rebooting again, plugging the laptop out and in the electricity, stopping my wi-fi router but no result. After a few times doing the things above, I saw something changing on my broken screen. I tried pressing different keys and found out that when I press Enter, or, for example, Down Arrow + Space, the laptop shuts down. I don't know what is happening because the monitor doesn't turn on (no, Fn + F# does not work). Any advice?
Related:

1 response

xpcman Posts 19530 Registration date Wednesday October 8, 2008 Status Contributor Last seen June 15, 2019 1,826
Nov 14, 2015 at 01:06 PM
The problem with using an external monitor to replace a broken laptop screen is that when Windows encounters an error during the boot process it defaults to using the laptop screen.

You will probably need to replace the broken screen just to see what the error is. It's possible that buying a new laptop might be cheaper.

Good luck
NGScarlet Posts 2 Registration date Saturday November 14, 2015 Status Member Last seen November 14, 2015
Nov 14, 2015 at 05:51 PM
Thanks for the fast response, but I can't really afford a new laptop at the moment. I tried disassembling and cleaning it but it didn't help. Any ideas on what this error could possibly be?
xpcman Posts 19530 Registration date Wednesday October 8, 2008 Status Contributor Last seen June 15, 2019 1,826 > NGScarlet Posts 2 Registration date Saturday November 14, 2015 Status Member Last seen November 14, 2015
Nov 14, 2015 at 06:15 PM
It's possibly a Windows software error that could be cleaned by running the "start up" repair from the Windows install disk.

As a last resort you could transfer the hard disk to a similar laptop and try the start up repair.

Good luck
NGScarlet Posts 2 Registration date Saturday November 14, 2015 Status Member Last seen November 14, 2015
Nov 14, 2015 at 06:21 PM
As I mentioned, the problem happened when I started the AVG uninstall tool, so it might be the program which caused the problem. As for the install disk, I bought the laptop with Windows already installed. I might try to move my hard drive and clean it. Thanks for the help!