Swap area...

Solved/Closed
Harithilleri Posts 22 Registration date Friday June 19, 2015 Status Member Last seen August 6, 2015 - Aug 5, 2015 at 07:14 AM
 Blocked Profile - Aug 6, 2015 at 04:33 AM
Hi,I am Harikrishnan.I need to install ubuntu(linux) on my allocated space(free space)of hard disk.I created a ext4 partition during installation of ubuntu.But I cant create a swap area because the space left after creating new partition(ext4 partition) is showing as "unusable". What do I do?Sorry for my bad English and hope you understand. Urgent help needed!

3 responses

Blocked Profile
Aug 6, 2015 at 04:33 AM
Hello,

I'm not 100% on Ubuntu but i did find this:

"There is a common misconception that having a swap space is negatively affecting system performance. This is incorrect. As long as you have enough RAM, having a swap area whatever its size doesn't hurt performance at all. What affects performance is being short in RAM and effectively using the swap space.

(1) If you have no swap space and happen to be out of RAM, the kernel will pick one or more processes which it thinks are good candidates and kill them.

(2) If you have a swap space and out of RAM, the kernel will pick less used memory pages and put them on the swap area to free RAM. This will slow down the system but your applications won't be affected otherwise."
Blocked Profile
Aug 5, 2015 at 07:15 AM
Hello,

how many partitions are on your hard drive at the moment?
Harithilleri Posts 22 Registration date Friday June 19, 2015 Status Member Last seen August 6, 2015
Aug 5, 2015 at 07:45 AM
One for windows 8,two normal partitions for storage .Then the ubuntu partition(ext4 partition).total 4 partition including ext4 partition.
Blocked Profile
Aug 5, 2015 at 08:24 AM
Do you know if your hard drive is partitioned as a Master Boot Record?

Go to Start > Disk Management

right click the Disk (eg Disk 0) and go properties

then go to the volumes tab and it says "Partition style".

I believe that having an MBR will only allow you to have up to 4 partitions so you wont be able to create more.
Harithilleri Posts 22 Registration date Friday June 19, 2015 Status Member Last seen August 6, 2015
Aug 6, 2015 at 12:53 AM
Yes it is MBR.Then what do I do?
Aug 6, 2015 at 02:50 AM
My partition style is MBR.Can I install without swap area?