Ask a question Report

GTA IV Too Slow [Solved/Closed]

RoAk - Latest answer on Jan 8, 2013 07:59PM
Hello all,
Well I'm wondering why's GTA IV so slow for me. I'm running it on Windows Vista Ultimate, on a AMD Athlon 64 X2 6000+ (3.0Ghz), with 3GB of Ram, and I have an Nvidia GeForce 8500 GT (512 Mb).
I know it is recommended to have a 8600GT, but still, it is a 512MB video card. I even runs slow when having 800x600 and eveything lowered to none or 0 in the configuration.
Look forward to hear from your responses,
Thanks very much in advance.
Read more 
Answer
+592
moins plus
Go to The nVidia Control Panel and go to Manage 3d settings
Then turn Anisotrophic Filtering OFF
and set Antialiasing Transparency to Multi Sampling
Antialiasing Setting to 2x
Texture Filtering Quality to High Performance
Texture Filtering -Trilinear Optimisation to ON
Texture Filtering -Negative LOD bias to ALLOW
Threaded Optimisation ON
Vertical Sync and Triple Buffering ON

Change these Settings . The Performance Will definitely Improve. It Worked For Me .

pain**123- May 7, 2010 03:38AM
thanks dude! 100% no lag :)
daker- May 8, 2010 02:39AM
thnkzz dude ...it works in mostly games...
Rytuklis- May 16, 2010 12:31PM
GTA CAN RUN WITH 512 MB RAM ???? :O So i have 1gb 500 mb and i can play it?
Gamer21 2Posts Tuesday May 18, 2010Registration date May 18, 2010Last seen - May 18, 2010 09:59AM
Hello,

I just got GTA IV for my laptop, but it's running very slow!

Here are my system specs.. all are supposed to match with requirements :

I have an Acer Apire latop.
- Intel pentuim dual-core processor T3400 (2.16GHz, 667 Mhz FSB, 1 MB L2 cache)
-Up to 1244 MB Mobile Intel Graphics
Media Accelerator 4500M
-3 GB DDR2
-250 GB HDD

As operating System Windows Vista Service Pack 1 Home Basic
- 32-bit Operating System
- 3.00 GB RAM

What do i need to make it faster? Thanks
boreber- Jun 7, 2010 12:17AM
Get windows 7..............performance will increase than in vista...,patch the game with gta iv patch 5
Answer
+71
moins plus
you need to patch the game becasue it has a rare grapich glitch which make it lag. patch it too 1.0.2.0 not further nor less. then the game will go smooth

Answer
+38
moins plus
1. Update Your All Drivers
2. Checking Your Background Applications !
3. Your Operating System (Windows Vista) is too heavy.
4. Change Your OS Windows XP, Update Your Driver (VGA, CPU, Sound Card, and all).
5. Defrag your Hard Disk.
6. Run in DirectX9 Mode In Windows XP

My Computer Specs :

- AMD Athlon 64 X2 3600++ 1.9GHz (minimum is AMD Athlon 64 X2 4600++ 2.4GHz)
- Motherboard Abit NF-M2S
- RAM 2Gb VISIPRO (2x1Gb) DDR2 800MHz (PC6400)
- VGA nVidia GeForce 9600GT 512MB, 256Bit, DDR3 (PCIex16 running in 8x)
- Hard Disk Seagate Barracuda 160GB 7200rpm
- Windows XP Service Pack 3

The system running in 30 FPS in :

- 1280x1024 100 Hertz 32Bit Color
- Detail Quality Low
- Rendering Quality High
- View Distance = 1
- Detail = 50
- Vechile Density = 1
- Shadow = 1

E-Mail :

Answer
+22
moins plus
Hi i have a core dual 2 and 512 MB i am using windows xp. but ti is still two slow and i can not belive the minimal graphics is 256mb. At the moment i think the gta 4 is the worst game i have played but if i can get it faster i think i will enjoy it.

please help i will be very happy

micnorian14- Sep 15, 2009 05:02PM
The reason your lagging so badly instead of with burning your retinas out with HD, is due to the only things you've supplied with your post:

Windows XP (DX9)
x32?, x64?

Solve these, among other obvious performance issues like anti virus, low/slow RAM, or a crappy graphics card; then the game should run fine! As for the random ass post about updating for obvious improvements;

we know.

The updates don't speed up your hardware any, though, but the bigger updates made available include graphical options for graphical settings! Before we had to manually adjust the game's .ini to set things right.
Answer
+18
moins plus
well i'm using the razor 1911 crack on min so every time i go to put a crack on it says that the game does not work???
and the specs for my computer if you need to no is AMD Phenom(tm) 9550 Quad-Core 2.20GHz 4gb ram ddr2
ATI radeon hd 4350 (512mb)

Every time i play the game i need to play it at low everything pretty much for it to be able to run without lag and even then some times i get a little lag???

Answer
+14
moins plus
Booster disc?...registery cleaner?
...no.

The only reason a game or app would lag on anyone's PC is if your not tech-savvy enough to investigate with what the hell is ACTUALLY HAPPENING.
There are different types of "lagging" that suggests completely different remedies.

If your PC meets the specs, but you still lag: then it might be something in the background.

If your under specs for CPU, but have everything else over recommended specs- then yes your going to have a low-fps based on your graphics settings.

The most common of these posts so far suggests you guys are overheating your hardware or are unknowingly overclocking your hardware which GTA4 usually has trouble working with. Check your BIOS, OS,hardware, and grocery list BEFORE you submit there's some sort of "bug" with your stuff.

These suggestions don't apply for those smart-asses that torrented GTA4. Your smart. Figure it out, you cheap bastards!

Answer
+13
moins plus
i can't get windows xp i did and my internet don't work i can only use windows 7 and windwos 7 take 1.2GB of my damn ram fu**ing slow cuz of it ;(

bob- Aug 2, 2009 10:25PM
TRY GETTING A GAME BOOSTER
gogetta- Feb 26, 2010 07:04AM
hey guys
I have these specs will it work on my medium smoothly?

ATI Radeon HD 4350 silent card 1gb
AMD Phenom II X2 545
4096 MB ram
daker- May 8, 2010 02:41AM
hey don't worry jst disable d windows update...and on d windows firewall in windows xp...
Answer
+11
moins plus
Don't post here then. In forums, you post relative info concerning the topic. I'm sure if you can take the time to mention your low-end pc and poor taste in games for us; you can just as easily post your those comments elsewhere like...i dunno...a forum criticizing GTA4?

As for my previous post: new intel!!!

I forgot to mention that there was an earlier "slower" version of dual-core processors called "Pentium D"
GTA4 has a minimum of a Core 2 duo 1.8ghz processor. Explicitly not a Pentium D dual-core processor.

This pissed me off as I had a D-core but with the power of Ebay I've upgraded to a godly Q6600 processor and am happily playing GTA4 @ MAX settings (1680x1050 res) on my puny $75 Nvidia EN8600GT. It looks WWAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAYY better on PC than 360, but not as fast as PS3. But if I wanted to pay some $500 to play GTA4 on a PS3, then I'd rather hop in my real car and drive around like a maniac to only pay $500 in repairs and tickets.

I'm implying that its cheaper to build your own PC and, yes, BUY GTA4 then get a PS3. Also cheaper than Reality Theft Auto for that matter...

Answer
+10
moins plus
So all i need is Core 2 Duo processor... I was saying why it lags !? so here is info.
Processor: 2.3/2.4
Memory/RAM: 1.9GB(2.0)/2.5GB
Video Card: GeForce 8200 512MB/ GeForce 8600 512MB
Hard Disc Space: 300/18GB xD
Operating System: Windwows XP SP3/ Windwos XP SP3 or Windows Vista SP1

So it should of worked on Almost best graphics, dont you think ?

Mr Kentaro- Oct 16, 2009 09:27AM
Oh i forgot to say something my processor is "64 X2 Dual Core Processor 4400+, MMX, 3DNow (2CPUs)."
Answer
+10
moins plus
hai ,At first i had XP in which GTA 4 worked some what ok .I am having Nvidia 8400 (512mb),2 gb RAM in windows 7 I installed the same game it dead slow when compared to XP,i dont know why....If any one got idea please tell me.....

Answer
+9
moins plus
no game booster actually makes game slower and u can just format windows and run gta 4 it will make gta run fast i had the same problem and i formatted it and now it running superb.

daker- May 8, 2010 02:44AM
due 2 virus...in ur harddisk,,
Answer
+8
moins plus
I have a problem with the game that has nothing to do with my graphics engine or card... and my processor doesnt even have to run at full capacity while playing it, yet when i do play it every other second it locks up for a half second. then just continues... it has to be something with the game, i have try every level of graphical setting with no effect.

Answer
+7
moins plus
hey friend, try on windows XP SP3 or Windows 7
vista is 3rd class i use that

Answer
+5
moins plus
Hi, i had the same graphical problem (slow and laggy) with a computer much above the requirements
but i solved it!
i'm using XP x64 but i think it doesnt matter
i had to change my virtual memory
in default it is set on the drive where your OS is with a specific amount
find another drive with some empty space (at least ~10Gb) and create there virtual memory with custom size
(initial size should be set what u can see as "recommended" in the window, maximum size is what u want -7560Mb at me)
if u set it up succesfully, a pagefile.sys willl appear on the drive u choosed
i hope this helps most of u

good luck

Answer
+4
moins plus
The best thing you need to do is put the OS as XP 32bit and It will improve the performance. The next thing you need to do is use game gain and game booster. Then you should decrease the graphics quality in gta 4. But If it again slow then you must upgrade your graphics card. Sorry but your graphics card is not as in recommended. You must get a core 2 duo 2.00 ghz , 2 to 4 gb ram, and nvidea geforce 9900 gtx 1 gb or more to run on the highest graphics quality. I hope this helped you!!! :)

Answer
+3
moins plus
i copyed the cd to the hdd the run it through a fake cd drive (cant remember what its called) it runs a lot quicker but it does still have problems even though my new spec is

phenom 2 940 oc 3896mhz
8gb ddr2 1066mhz
gtx 280 1gb
300 gb raptor hdd (10000rpm)
wd caviar 640 gb

to be honest i think the game might have problems with me because i havent downloaded any paches ( how do i and were from ??? )

bob- Jul 30, 2009 11:31AM
well i think it is the game they mit have mad it bad and i am not to sure were to get patches your just going to have to search for them.
charlton- Apr 8, 2010 12:09PM
why gtaiv is runing slow for me i'm running on 2gb and 512 ram DDR2, nvidia 1gb 9800 gt, and adm athlon (Tm) 64 procssor 3200 + 2.00 GHz. and i'm running windows 7 ultimate 32 bits can some one help me
@charlton- May 28, 2010 06:31PM
its probly the processer and the ram more the processor
Answer
+3
moins plus
I was s**t scared to install on win 7, got through no hiccups at all, game runs perfectly, all this hype over needing 8 gigs + a quad + a 295 to run this in any playable fashion is ridiculous, my specs are x2-4400, 2gb generic, MSI k8t-neo2, and HIS 3850 512, nothing spectacular, but gta4 runs perfectly, now this is not a show off post, more just to let people know it is perfectly playable on min specs, and as for win 7, im, running 64bit, this may help, but no compatibility mode used to run or install. oh and i run all this at 1920x1080, everything on medium.

bob- Aug 2, 2009 01:24AM
what kind of game is it did you download it or is it a copy that you got
Anurag 27Posts Wednesday August 12, 2009Registration date April 30, 2010Last seen - Apr 29, 2010 08:36AM
I got:
Core 2 quad 3.0 ghz
4 gb ram ddr2
1 gb nvidia geforce 9500 gt
windows 7 64 bit
I got it smoothly up with the resolution: 1280 * 1024. I don't have got more than that resolution. I get it smoothly by keeping all graphics to highest.
Answer
+3
moins plus
I run it at ~60 fps. with everything maxxed out!! xD
specs:
GTX275
Core i7 920
6GB ddr3 RAM
Asus p6t deluxe v2

LexInEffect- Sep 21, 2009 07:29PM
Yea, same here except I have the 295, my frame rate doesn't drop bellow 65 with everything maxed out.
Answer
+2
moins plus
try AMD FUSION available off AMD site or google...shuts down background apps to free up some resources....also make sure you are running the latest update (v1.3 currently) as that add more options to the graphics tab to disable, also turn off clip capture on PC with non-quad core cpus or less than a GF 8800 card.

Most of my friends with the game can bearly get 10fps on the required specs... typically you need to disable nearly all the graphic fxs to low or off on a pc without Quadcore + 4gig ram + 512mb GPU, sadly the game wasnt optimised for midrange-lowend pcs in mind.

Answer
+2
moins plus
Hi evry one I have a Core 2 duo processorE4500 with 2 Gb of ram and I have Nvidia geforce 8400 Gs and the game runs smooth on 1024*768 resolution with all graphic setting set to medium and i was evn able to set the frame rate to 17 but when i changed the resolution to 800*600 my Pc started to crash can anybody tell me why this happens ??

ravindra- Sep 11, 2009 07:23PM
as you are using windows vista so the optimum resolution for games on vista is 1024*168.
1 2 3 Next
This document entitled « GTA IV Too Slow » from Kioskea (en.kioskea.net) is made available under the Creative Commons license. You can copy, modify copies of this page, under the conditions stipulated by the license, as this note appears clearly.

Not a member yet?

sign-up, it takes less than a minute and it's free!

Members get more answers than anonymous users.

Being a member gives you detailed monitoring of your requests.

Being a member gives you additional options.