My PC keeps turning off after i turn it on

Closed
Forktis - May 7, 2015 at 05:41 PM
BrianGreen Posts 1005 Registration date Saturday January 17, 2015 Status Moderator Last seen September 30, 2021 - May 8, 2015 at 08:17 AM
Hello, I have build pc and it used to work fine until i ruined the processor, so i got the same processor but now the pc it keeps turning off after i turn it on. Sometimes it takes along time staying on then turns off, sometimes then it stays 20 seconds then turns off and so on everytime time decreases and i dont think its overheating cause everything is cold. I did the psu test with the paper clip it was fine, removing the graphics card still the same problem. removing the battery of the motherboard and putting it back in still no results. I dont know whats wrong, and if i keep my pc sideways usually it stays longer then switches off.

Related:

1 response

BrianGreen Posts 1005 Registration date Saturday January 17, 2015 Status Moderator Last seen September 30, 2021 150
May 8, 2015 at 07:00 AM
Hi Forktis,

I wonder how you ruined your processor - if you overclocked it have you reset the system to its default level?

Take a look at the motherboard. Look for "blown" capacitors - you may see a brown "fluid" looking substance leaking out of them or the may have domed tops - a bit like a gone off tub of yoghurt. If you see either of these then its time for a new motherboard.

Also try testing your memory. Memtest86+ is good for this. Remove any bad memory sticks.

Good Luck. Let me know how you get on.
forktis Posts 2 Registration date Monday September 2, 2013 Status Member Last seen May 8, 2015
May 8, 2015 at 07:18 AM
No pretty sure the motherboard is fine the processor was ruined the pins were bent, and my heatsink is only covering half of the cpu do u think it effects it?
BrianGreen Posts 1005 Registration date Saturday January 17, 2015 Status Moderator Last seen September 30, 2021 150
May 8, 2015 at 07:57 AM
yes - definitely. You need the processor to have a properly seated heatsink. Thermal paste is also needed (not too much only a very thin layer is needed). Why is the heatsink only covering half of it? Do you need to get a heatsink designed for the processor, or is the processor not seated properly?
forktis Posts 2 Registration date Monday September 2, 2013 Status Member Last seen May 8, 2015
May 8, 2015 at 08:01 AM
I didn't place it, I gave it to a "computer hardware expert" to build my PC cuz it was working fine until I got a new fan/hs and processor so I'm gonna try to place the heatsink properly and apply good thermal paste. So that could be the reason that it switches off what's the reason tho
May 8, 2015 at 08:17 AM
The processor is overheating. Make sure you take precautions when handling the processor. Try not to touch the pins. Make sure it is seated properly - the pins should be fully inserted into the socket. Nowadays they are pads rather than pins - so make sure the processor is flat in the socket. remove any old/surplus paste and put a very thin layer of new paste in it - no more than the thickness of a piece of paper. then put the heatsink squarely on the processor securing it using all of the securing posts (still the scariest part of this job for me). Ensure the fan is free turning and plugged into the proper socket on the motherboard.

Good luck - let me know how you get on.

Just as a matter of curiosity -
i got the same processor
why did you get a new processor and heatsink and fan if the other was working properly? Why did you remove it in the first place?