Losing wifi connection

Closed
DaDawg Posts 2 Registration date Sunday May 3, 2015 Status Member Last seen May 4, 2015 - May 3, 2015 at 04:24 PM
DaDawg Posts 2 Registration date Sunday May 3, 2015 Status Member Last seen May 4, 2015 - May 4, 2015 at 08:06 AM
Hi, I have an Acer Aspire E1-522 puter and when I go further away from my modem, I get a weak signal and / or I cannot get an internet connection.
I have the latest modem and I have 5 bars when I am sitting in front of the modem, but get only 3 when I downstairs to the main floor. I get nothing when I go onto the balcony.
I had run some "driver uptdate" programs and some say that my wifi driver is out of date. This doesn't really tell me if the driver is the problem, only that the one on my puter is older than the one from last April.

Does anyone know how I can get a constant wifi signal?
Does anyone know where I can get a current wifi driver without paying third party providers?
Thank you in advance for your help........

2 responses

xpcman Posts 19530 Registration date Wednesday October 8, 2008 Status Contributor Last seen June 15, 2019 1,826
May 3, 2015 at 07:24 PM
Downstairs is always a problem. Since the wifi signal propagates mostly out and up. Not out and down.

About the only thing to try is to relocate your router. I don't think a new driver is going to get you a better signal.

If you are in a building with massive amounts of metal in the walls getting a signal might be a problem. Old plaster walls sometimes have metal mess as do most stucco exterior walls.
How's you cell phone reception?
DaDawg Posts 2 Registration date Sunday May 3, 2015 Status Member Last seen May 4, 2015
May 4, 2015 at 08:06 AM
I live in a new home, cottage style. I have recently purchased a wine rack that holds 135 bottles, which is in the basement....maybe the metal racks is causing interference?
I do not have any problems receiving a wifi signal on my phone while anywhere in the house....
I am thinking of moving the modem to the first floor and see how that works.
Thanx for your comment...
Blocked Profile
May 3, 2015 at 07:28 PM
Hi there!

There are many factors which could effect a wireless signal.

firstly - What type of wireless network are you running?

There are many types of wireless networks which run at different frequencies and speeds so firstly, why don't you tell us what type of wireless network you're running? what is the model of your router?

the common wireless frequency is 2.4Ghz. You'll find the majority of wireless routers will use this frequency. This wireless has 14 channels to choose from. This will help you separate your wireless network with your neighbours. However, if you're in a congested wifi area then you may find that upgrading your wireless network/devices to a 5Ghz network would be beneficial as this is newer technology and not everyone is using this method yet. However, there are some compromises using this. You don't get much coverage with this frequency and it's not very good at penetrating surfaces. but the throughput is great!

Anyway... where were we?

Things which impact on your signal strength are wall thickness, surrounding objects such as metal, other radio waves (eg. microwave) and even other conflicting wifi signals which are running on the same radio wave as yours! Is your wireless access point nice and high?

Is your router an old model? do you think it's time to upgrade to a better wireless network?