XP system Crashed on Dell Latitude D510

Closed
Eagle24 - Feb 21, 2015 at 11:27 AM
BrianGreen Posts 1005 Registration date Saturday January 17, 2015 Status Moderator Last seen September 30, 2021 - Feb 21, 2015 at 09:00 PM
Hello,
My Dell laptop runs on XP and crashed. I'd like to recover some data that I didn't have saved on an external drive. I am a novice, so if someone can walk me through the steps to do this I would really appreciate it. I have a blue screen that continues to appear each time I try to restart. I have the XP startup disk in the drive, but it won't access it on startup. The message says to uninstall any anti-virus, disk defrag or backup utilities, but I don't know how to get to a command prompt from here. I've tried typing "r", as suggested on another post, during the startup, but it keeps going to the blue screen. Please help!

Related:

1 response

BrianGreen Posts 1005 Registration date Saturday January 17, 2015 Status Moderator Last seen September 30, 2021 150
Feb 21, 2015 at 11:37 AM
Hi Eagle24,

Does the machine come up with an error code on the blue screen. Its normally towards the bottom and starts 0x******** (the stars represent numbers)

Also is the XP startup disk a full Windows installation disk, or a Dell installation disk?
Yes, it says STOP: 0x00000024 (0x00190203, 0x82F39C50, 0xC0000102, 0x00000000). The disk is a Window XP Professional service pack version 2002.
BrianGreen Posts 1005 Registration date Saturday January 17, 2015 Status Moderator Last seen September 30, 2021 150
Feb 21, 2015 at 01:40 PM
Thats good for me :)

Can you start in safe mode? To get there repeatedly press the [f8] key immediately after powering on. You will be presented with the Advanced Startup Menu. When there navigate to Safe Mode With Command Prompt.

It will do loads of scrolling of text and hopefully start in safe mode. Icons will look odd, but we are looking for a black box wits a flashing curser in it. when there type
chkdsk /r
and press [Enter]. It will say it cant do it because it is locked and cannot do it while it is in use. Answer
y
to the question "do you want to perform it on next boot?" and press enter.

The computer will restart and commence its check. No doubt there will be loads of scrolling text and it will take ages. Let it continue to the end even if it seems it isnt doing anything.

Hopefully when it is finished it will boot into Windows normally.

Let me know how you get on.
Eagle24 > BrianGreen Posts 1005 Registration date Saturday January 17, 2015 Status Moderator Last seen September 30, 2021
Feb 21, 2015 at 03:09 PM
I tried this, but it goes to the blue screen after scrolling through lots of code. It says if I've seen this after restarting I should disable or uninstall any antivirus, disk defrag, or backup utilities, but I'm not sure how to do that. Thank you for your suggestions! If you think of something else, please let me know.
BrianGreen Posts 1005 Registration date Saturday January 17, 2015 Status Moderator Last seen September 30, 2021 150 > Eagle24
Feb 21, 2015 at 09:00 PM
Ok, All is not lost :^)

Now this is from memory, so this might not be exactly as it occurs, but I dont think I will leave anything out ... leave me a message if you get stuck.

Insert the Windows Installation disk.
Restart your computer and hit the [f12] key repeatedly. You will be presented with a boot menu. Using the arrow keys navigate to the CD/DVD drive and hit [Enter].

When prompted hit any key to boot from the CD. you have about 5 seconds to do this before it escapes the CD and boots from the next available boot device - your hard drive from which you will get your BSOD (Blue Screen Of Death) again.

The PC will start to read the CD and show you a blue screen. Dont worry - this one is meant to be there!

After an eternity you will be presented with some options - to install windows or repair Windows. Choose Repair by typing
r
. I cant remember if you also need to press [Enter] after this, but if nothing happens within a few seconds do it. The screen will go black and you will be asked for an administrator password. If you have one type it in and press [Enter] If you dont just press [Enter].

Nexe it will scan for partitions with Windows on them. Usually it will just find one. Press the number next to the version of windows you nees to repair. If there is only one option type
. Now press [Enter]. A word of warning - just pressing [Enter] here (without typing a number) will reboot your machine and you will have to do this all again.

After a short delay the flashing curser will show and at this point type
chkdsk /r
. The machine will now take ages to perform a scan and repair any errors it finds. It will give you a count of how many percent is completed ... and then start again ... and again ... You may wellget loads of text saying what ity is doing as well. At the end (after another VERY long wait) it will give a summery and a flashing curser. Type
exit
and hit [Enter] again. The computer will restart and hopefully boot into Windows

Any trouble let me know.

Good luck!