Harddrive not showing folders

Closed
doktapyoka Posts 1 Registration date Tuesday December 9, 2014 Status Member Last seen December 9, 2014 - Dec 9, 2014 at 04:05 AM
Boogieman_WD Posts 275 Registration date Friday October 10, 2014 Status Member Last seen October 19, 2016   - Dec 12, 2014 at 10:30 AM
My external harddrive is not showing folders I named it Roots but now it just appears as Local: E if I try to open
it it says I have to format it inorder to use it. then it shows a message which says E: is not accessible data error( cyclic redundancy). Please help got all my important info in it. I have no internet access now so I am hoping for a solution that will not need me going on line with my laptop.

1 response

Boogieman_WD Posts 275 Registration date Friday October 10, 2014 Status Member Last seen October 19, 2016   37
Dec 9, 2014 at 07:31 AM
Hey doktapyoka. Usually the fix for this error is the chkdsk command.
1. Connect the hard drive to the computer.
2. Open up CMD - > Click on the Start button and type cmd in the Search field (for Win 7).
3. Right-click on the Command Prompt and click on Run as Administrator.
4. Type "chkdsk E: /f /r". (without the quotations)

Please note that E: is the letter of the drive you wish to check, which from what I see in your post is E.
The /f stand for fix, which fixes file system errors and the /r stand for recover, which tries to recover bad sectors. There might be a slight chance that it may make some of your data irretrievable if it's on a bad sector, but then again it's probably already corrupted if this is the case.
Either way, this is the best solution for this error. If you gain access to your drive after that, I'd recommend that you backup your important files immediately and then download the manufacturer's diagnostic tool to test the drive with it.

Hope that helps.
Boogieman_WD
I tried your solution But it didn't work he process stopped at the time it was saying correcting errors . From the time I started to the point it reached at the correcting errors stage,it took 10hours then it stopped and I left it again for some hours and nothing happened. I dont know if I should repeat the process.
Boogieman_WD Posts 275 Registration date Friday October 10, 2014 Status Member Last seen October 19, 2016   37 > doktapyoka
Dec 12, 2014 at 10:30 AM
Don't try it again. You could try some of the solutions from this thread to retrieve your data: https://www.tomshardware.com/
Or better yet, try to access the drive with a Linux Live CD/USB to recover the data, but I'm not sure it will work at this point. Your most reliable option for data recovery remains a professional solution such as a data recovery company.
I'd have suggested to download the manufacturer's diagnostic tool to test the drive and see what's the situation, but it looks like the drive might be damaged pretty bad and this could complicate the situation further.

Good luck. I hope you're able to retrieve the important data you have on the drive.