Chg background color of any cell in range based on another cell

Closed
tsandman Posts 1 Registration date Saturday October 4, 2014 Status Member Last seen October 4, 2014 - Oct 4, 2014 at 01:59 PM
TrowaD Posts 2921 Registration date Sunday September 12, 2010 Status Moderator Last seen December 27, 2022 - Oct 6, 2014 at 11:15 AM
Hello,

I am trying to maintain a spreadsheet of races and personal bests for runners. My runners are in rows. The races and Mile Split times are in columns. My data ranges from C3 through Y53. I have a separate column, using the MIN function, for their best Mile Split time YTD, Column Z.

I'd like to highlight whichever cell, in each row, matches the corresponding time in column Z. For one runner, it might be C3 that equals Z3. For another, maybe their G12 matches their Z12.

Any help is greatly appreciated.

1 response

TrowaD Posts 2921 Registration date Sunday September 12, 2010 Status Moderator Last seen December 27, 2022 552
Oct 6, 2014 at 11:15 AM
Hi Tsandman,

For that we use conditional format (CF).

The way CF is applied has changed in the later versions of Excel when they started using ribbons.

Let's see if this works for you (ribbon method):
- Select all the cells you want to apply the CF to (i.e. C3:Y100).
- Find the CF button on the Start ribbon, click on new rule and choose to use a formula.
- Type in the following formula: =C3=$Z3 and choose your format.
- Confirm your actions and see if the right cell(s) changes format.

Best regards,
Trowa