Dell Inspiron 1721 Display not working

Closed
MamaBear13 Posts 3 Registration date Monday September 15, 2014 Status Member Last seen October 15, 2014 - Sep 15, 2014 at 02:12 AM
MamaBear13 Posts 3 Registration date Monday September 15, 2014 Status Member Last seen October 15, 2014 - Oct 15, 2014 at 11:23 AM
Hello,

I have a older 1721 that I wish would work but the screen will no longer come on. I took the battery out, plugged it in and turned it on. Now all three buttons (Numbers, Caps and a lock?) are just flashing making a clicking noise. The only other light on is the battery. Tried the Power +F8 and nothing. On the fence whether to sell for parts or try to fix it. It DID work awhile back, screen was green for a bit (comp hadn't been used for years) but once on, it was perfect! Then the wireless card wasn't connecting, had someone check it, and they couldn't get it to work, so I just plugged it in via Ethernet and once warmed up was fine. Now all of the sudden the screen is dead.

What can I do, if anything? The figs below are from my other laptop. The 1721 is XP

tags #DellInspiron #blankscreen #help!
Related:

3 responses

xpcman Posts 19530 Registration date Wednesday October 8, 2008 Status Contributor Last seen June 15, 2019 1,826
Sep 16, 2014 at 06:08 PM
It's probably not worth the effort to try to get it to work. Since it's running XP you also have security issues with using it. Sad news is it's probably work at most $20 for parts.

I suggest you look into an Android tablet. They work great for email and light web searching. Just don't jump for one of the cheap off-brands. Expect to pay $250 or more for a 10 inch. There will probably be great deals for the Xmas season.

Good Luck
MamaBear13 Posts 3 Registration date Monday September 15, 2014 Status Member Last seen October 15, 2014
Oct 15, 2014 at 11:09 AM
Hi, well I've taken it completely apart, checked memory with other memory and still doing the same. I thought I read that you can check the connection of where the power connects with the motherboard and could possibly need to just be re-soldered... I'm willing to try. Anyone try this, or know how?

Other question. The computer should work with battery out and just the ac plugged in, correct? I don't need the battery in to check power with the ac, right? I did the test on the screen, got the 4 colors, but seems like the power is the issue. I'm trying to be an optimist, I don't have money to buy another or even a tablet.

So, just looking for suggestions on how to test the connection of the power/motherboard.. if anyone can help! Thanks!
MamaBear13 Posts 3 Registration date Monday September 15, 2014 Status Member Last seen October 15, 2014
Oct 15, 2014 at 11:23 AM
I was mistaken, the 1721 is a Vista. If I get it up and running I'd like to upgrade to windows 7, if possible.....