Windows Installer upgrade

Solved/Closed
Bronco1 Posts 1 Registration date Friday August 8, 2014 Status Member Last seen August 8, 2014 - Aug 8, 2014 at 09:15 PM
 Bronco1 - Aug 16, 2014 at 05:19 PM
Using XP-SP3 (32 bit). Experiencing trouble installing software for a new HP scanner. EMC Captiva Cloud Service is installed by the new software but there is an error message that it does not start. Four hours on the phone with HP without success.

Random investigation on my own indicates that Windows Installer is V3.01 but XP-SP3 supports V3.1. The HP literature claims compatability with XP-SP3 (not SP1 or SP2).

Any advice before I try to download Windows Installer 3.1? Or am I heading down a useless trail?

Thanks in advance to all.
Related:

1 response

johnebadbak74 Posts 95 Registration date Monday May 19, 2014 Status Member Last seen January 14, 2015 14
Aug 12, 2014 at 11:12 PM
get latest here

https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/help/942288/windows-installer-4-5-is-available

also is the new scanner win_xp compatible?
John,
Thanks for your response.

Windows Installer upgrade completed without trouble. I had previously updated to NET Framework 4. HP software still failed to install. Yes, the scanner is advertised to be XP-SP3 compatible. Went to a Windows 7 computer, and the HP software worked perfectly, so I assume it is strictly an XP compatibility issue. I also tried at a different XP computer and the software again did not install.

After 4 days of HP aggravation, I bought a Xerox scanner and the software installed perfectly first time. Is anybody working for HP watching??

Lessons learned. Next time I have a device software install failure, if the supplier cannnot fix the problem within an hour on the phone, the device will be returned.