Crossover AND LAN

Closed
jimhobday Posts 2 Registration date Wednesday June 4, 2014 Status Member Last seen June 5, 2014 - Jun 4, 2014 at 07:18 AM
jimhobday Posts 2 Registration date Wednesday June 4, 2014 Status Member Last seen June 5, 2014 - Jun 5, 2014 at 09:48 AM
Hello,

My problem is that the media centre PC that I built is connected to the one Ethernet wall socket in the room and I would like to plug my new Blu-ray player into the Ethernet LAN when it arrives (rather than use the less speedy/reliable wi-fi).

I'd like to not get a full blown switch (with yet another mains plug) so I was wondering whether I could get an Ethernet PCIe (or a simple USB -> RJ45 adapter) for the media centre and use a crossover cable to connect to the Blu-ray; essentially using my PC as a switch/bridge or whatever the terminology is.

With Windows 7 Home Premium, will I be able to configure such a connection so that the Blu-ray will just think it is connected to the LAN? I have searched for this (honest) but I guess my searching skills need improving.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks
Jim

Related:

1 response

Blocked Profile
Jun 5, 2014 at 09:10 AM
Hi there,

i think a normal RJ45 cable would suffice.

Once upon a time i bridged my wireless adapter and network adapter to allow me to get my xbox on the internet.

You will need to set your blu ray player's network settings to static as i dont think it will pick one up from the router.

bridge your wireless card and LAN card and plug it in. you should, hopefully get internet access on the blu ray player.
jimhobday Posts 2 Registration date Wednesday June 4, 2014 Status Member Last seen June 5, 2014
Jun 5, 2014 at 09:48 AM
Thanks kieferschild, that's reassuring. I shall follow your instructions and post back any gotchas when I try it - for the benefit of anyone else searching for this topic.