Strange behavior of laptop keyboard key [Hardware troubleshoot]

Closed
victorxstc Posts 2 Registration date Saturday March 22, 2014 Status Member Last seen March 24, 2014 - Mar 22, 2014 at 04:03 AM
 KV - Apr 16, 2014 at 01:59 PM
Hi

I have a curious case with my laptop keyboard. When the keyboard is idle for some minutes (eg, 20, 30 minutes or more), at first re-use, the "n" key will not work, unless I press it really really really hard... However, the more I use the "n" key, the less I need to press it hardly... After some minutes of using the "n" key, it will become completely functional like all other keys (activated with the slightest pressure)...

Once I put the laptop aside for say half an hour and then want to use it again, the same problem happens.

Why does it happen? Why does it get fixed after some time of usage?!

And how can I fix it?

--------------------------------------------

Additional information (please read the followings before asking me questions about my laptop):

1. I have put an extra plastic cover on my keyboard (from the beginning of its usage) that prevents spilling any liquids or other things on the keys. The interesting point is that my strokes on the "n" and "h" keys are so strong (and with my nail rather than my finger pad) that the sheet over these two keys is torn.

2. No one else has access to my laptop, and I am sure if there is any physical damage, it is not by some liquids spilled over the keyboard. I can also assure you there is no small particles underneath the "n" key. Perhaps the strokes of my nail might be the culprit.

3. The problem seems not software oriented, as I see it within different programs and after resetting the computer. Also the OnScreen Keyboard "n" works properly, as expected.

4. Besides, the Fn key does not have anything to do with the "n" key.

5. This happens only with the "n" key, and not even the "h" key (the other key with a torn plastic sheet) or any other keys.

My laptop is Acer Extensa 5635G, and I am using it somehow non-stop for the last 4 years.

Related:

2 responses

xpcman Posts 19530 Registration date Wednesday October 8, 2008 Status Contributor Last seen June 15, 2019 1,826
Mar 22, 2014 at 01:52 PM
Most likely you keyboard is just worn-out. Laptop replacement keyboards can often be found on ebay.

Good Luck
victorxstc Posts 2 Registration date Saturday March 22, 2014 Status Member Last seen March 24, 2014
Mar 24, 2014 at 04:00 AM
Many thanks. I know but I don't understand the specific cause for this strange behavior.
I am having the same problem. Have to proof read everything I type to make sure the n's are there. A real inconvenience since my name has an n in it and my user names are getting messed up.

I have an Acer Aspire Notebook 1810T that is 4 years old.

Maybe this is a issue with Acers?