Tosh A100 will not boot with new HDD fitted.

Closed
essenby Posts 2 Registration date Friday January 24, 2014 Status Member Last seen January 27, 2014 - Jan 24, 2014 at 02:52 PM
essenby Posts 2 Registration date Friday January 24, 2014 Status Member Last seen January 27, 2014 - Jan 27, 2014 at 05:28 AM
Hi,

I have a Toshiba A100 (part number PSAAKC-VA104C) and decided to replace the 80Gb drive that came with it. I bought a Seagate Momentus ST9750420AS - 750 GB - SATA-3, but despite all I have been told about SATA backwards compatibility the laptop refuses to boot with the Seagate installed - even from DVD. It will not even respond to the <F2> Bios request.

I had fitted the Seagate into a USB caddy and used Clonzilla Live to clone the existing drive partitions to it - including the MBR. I fitted the new drive and tried to boot into a Win 7 installation CD in order to use System Repair to make sure the boot record was correct. However, the machine steadfastly refused to boot or to accept the <F2> keypress. The message appears to 'Press <F2> for setup or <F12> to interrupt the boot process', but little progress bar that moves along the bottom of the screen goes so far then freezes. If I press <F2> during startup, the message "Please wait . . " appears but again the progress bar moves so fat then stops.

The new Seagate drive is perfectly readable when in the USB caddy, but obviously not from within a Windows environment started from the original drive because as the new drive had the same signature as the existing drive it was automatically offlined. And the laptop still works faultlessly with the original drive re-fitted.

It will boot from USB or DVD with no hard drive fitted but with the Seagate fitted it the boot process just hangs. I have wiped the new drive of all partitions and held down <F2> when pressing the power switch. I get the splash screen and the "Please wait . . " message bottom left but that's it. The progress bar moves a bit, then stops, the disk access LED is "ON" solidly and the USB access LED is also "ON" solidly but nothing after that. In the caddy it is fine, connected to the SATA port the laptop just freezes up.

Could there be a BIOS fault that could cause this? Or have I just lucked out and bought an incompatible drive?
Related:

2 responses

Blocked Profile
Jan 24, 2014 at 05:17 PM
Ok, so just looking at others problems; have you tried:
Seagate/Maxtor has added a user-accessible jumper-switch, known as the Force 150, to enable the drive switch between forced 1.5 Gbit/s and 1.5/3 Gbit/s negotiated operation.

I am not certain of bios would change anything.

If it is not a jumper issue (please forgive me as I do not have one in my hand), then I would create a small boot partition, and see if that makes a difference. I wouldn't clone the other drive, as it has info for the other drive, you are going to have to build that environment for it to operate. Rebuild it. Then boot with the other drive attached and get the files.

If it is software you are concerned with, you purchased the license for one PC, well you only have 1.

Once again, I beleive it fails for the clone.

Let us know!
essenby Posts 2 Registration date Friday January 24, 2014 Status Member Last seen January 27, 2014
Jan 27, 2014 at 05:28 AM
Hi

Thanks for the suggestions. I installed a small Linux distro (Zorin 8) on the drive and was able to successfully boot from it whilst in the USB caddy. However, transferring it to the actual SATA bay of the laptop returned exactly the same result - a halt halfway through the boot process. :-(