Dell blank / black screen

Solved/Closed
Matt_w18 Posts 2 Registration date Friday January 17, 2014 Status Member Last seen January 17, 2014 - Jan 17, 2014 at 07:02 AM
 Anners - Apr 22, 2018 at 10:27 AM
Hi everyone,

I have a Dell Latitude E5430

I logged into my computer this morning and as I had it connected to a projector yesterday the screen resolution was not correct. I got a message stating this so I decided to change it in settings. I right clicked on the desktop and instead of going into properties I noticed another selection. I cant remember what it was but it was to do with displays. I hovered over the arrow and there were a few options, the third one was clone display or similar but again I cant remember what the others were. I accidentally clicked on one of these and the screen went blank. The computer was on and I waited a few minutes as usually once display settings are changed if you don't click yes it goes back. Needless to say it didn't. I restarted the computer and after the windows start screen it went blank again. So far I have tried;

1. Connecting to a monitor via HDMI Cable
2. Connecting to a monitor with a VGA cable
3. Going into safe mode and changing resolution
4. Removing the battery and holding down the power button for 60 seconds then turning back on

The first two just left a blank screen on the monitor and the 3rd and 4th made no difference once started in normal mode. Other posts mention pressing F8 but this doesn't do anything for my computer.

Any help will be much appreciated and thanks in advanced
Related:

2 responses

Matt_w18 Posts 2 Registration date Friday January 17, 2014 Status Member Last seen January 17, 2014 2
Jan 17, 2014 at 07:37 AM
OK, so I fixed my on problem but thought I would let anyone else reading this that has the same issue know how I resolved it.

I was told Windows 7 includes a hot-key for rapid switching to an external VGA projector. Holding the "Windows" key and pressing "P" opens a pop-up window with the options "Duplicate" or "Projector Only." Selecting "Duplicate" will mirror your laptop's display onto the projector. Selecting "Projector Only" disables the laptop's LCD screen and only displays on the VGA projector.

Although I couldn't see what I was doing, after the laptop had started up I pressed "Windows" and "P" and the "Enter/Return" and hey prestos, the display was back
Thank you so much!!!
mandy svendsen
Jul 24, 2015 at 02:26 PM
after an hour of googling you comment saved me thank you!*screenshot* lol