Change MAC admin password without the disk

Solved/Closed
Pranjal sharma - Updated on Nov 11, 2018 at 03:38 PM
 CraigT - Mar 19, 2018 at 03:57 PM
Hello,
i lost my disk and forgot the admin password so please can you tell me how to change admin password without the disk

5 responses

xpcman Posts 19530 Registration date Wednesday October 8, 2008 Status Contributor Last seen June 15, 2019 1,830
Updated on Nov 27, 2018 at 04:38 AM
You can try this:

But, it will create a new account and your old files will still not be accessible.

Creating a new Admin on Mac Os X: Here's how to reset your OS X password without an OS X CD.
The Working solution for me was to create a new admin. You can create new admin like this by deleting a specific file.

You need to enter terminal and create a new admin account:
  • 1. Reboot
  • 2. Hold apple key + s key down after you hear the chime. (command + s keys on newer Macs)
  • 3. When you get text prompt enter in these terminal commands to create a brand new admin account (hitting return after each line):
     mount -uw /      rm /var/db/.AppleSetupDone      shutdown -h now     
  • 4. After rebooting you should have a brand new admin account. When you login as the new admin you can simply delete the old one and your good to go again!

Apple stores wont reset it for you. Computer shops may charge you $50 to $200 trying to reinstall the Mac and failing at the end.
THIS IS WORKING ON ALL MACBOOKS ive tested it on.

macbook pro unibody, macbook pro 2006 model......... even macbook g4.

Great work
This method...I Love you