Ask a question Report

Change Mac admin password without the disk [Solved/Closed]

Pranjal sharma - Latest answer on Oct 28, 2012 02:06PM
Hello,
i lost my disk and forgot the admin password so please can you tell me how to change admin password without the disk
Read more 
Answer
+1783
moins plus
You can try this:

But, it will create a new account and your old files will still not be accessible.

Creating a new Admin on Mac Os X:
Here's how to reset your OS X password without an OS X CD.
the Working solution for me was to create a new admin
you can create new admin like this by deleting a specific file.

You need to enter terminal and create a new admin account:

1. Reboot
2. Hold apple key + s key down after you hear the chime.
(command + s keys on newer Macs)
3. When you get text prompt enter in these terminal commands to create a brand new admin account (hitting return after each line):

mount -uw /
rm /var/db/.AppleSetupDone
shutdown -h now

4. After rebooting you should have a brand new admin account. When you login as the new admin you can simply delete the old one and your good to go again!

Apple stores wont reset it for you. Computer shops may charge you $50 to $200 trying to reinstall the Mac and failing at the end.

nikranj- Oct 9, 2012 07:46PM
it is not working form me.everytime i put in the first command and press enter it says command not found
salsafreak- Oct 10, 2012 12:16PM
It's not working for me neither. Any other suggestions ?
david- Oct 11, 2012 08:05PM
thank you!!!!
cnapca43- Oct 12, 2012 02:48PM
i tried that but it didn't work!!!
moyamoy 2Posts Sunday October 28, 2012Registration date October 28, 2012Last seen - Oct 28, 2012 02:06PM
works on my macbook pro,i am running Lion, thank you
Answer
+192
moins plus
command + s doesnt work on my macbook ive tried it a million times

Answer
+181
moins plus
Make sure the you do not space in between the db/.Apple and use capital letters where they are in the code and it will work

# Reboot
# Hold apple + s down after you hear the chime.
# When you get text prompt enter in these terminal commands to create a brand new admin account (hitting return after each line):

* mount -uw /
* rm /var/db/.AppleSetupDone
* shutdown -h now

# After rebooting you should have a brand new admin account. When you login as the new admin you can simply delete the old one and you're good to go again!

liz- Apr 17, 2010 01:05AM
How do you reboot it though?
newbee on mac's- Apr 17, 2010 01:09AM
Worked like a charm!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
gold_fox- Apr 19, 2010 02:22AM
any time i do the second line it keeps say no such File or Directory and I'm doing it right
dt- May 2, 2010 02:52AM
I followed the instructions but 1the mac comes up with a chime and never boots completely..help
dee- May 8, 2010 06:04PM
it created a new account, but it's still asking for the same password. It's using the same hint!
Answer
+122
moins plus
I need help!! I just bought a used macbook pro off of some women and there was a password on it and she said there wasn't such thing, so my boyfriend tried going into the system to try to change the root name and password, but when he did that, the computer does not let me go past the main loading screen with the circle, so now I'm trying to figure out how to change it to a default name and I don't have the disk. I'm so frustrated with it. Can someone please help me with it??

Answer
+101
moins plus
another way is to hack system preferences by putting it on the desktop and right clicking then go to package contents and recources then go to something called NSPrefPaneGroups.xml and drag it onto the desktop, after that whenever you open system preferences it will come up with a little bar and you can go to view up in the corner and go to anything u want. after that go to set master password in security after you have completed that log out, then in the log in screen type the admin username and get the password wrong about 6 or 7 times after that it will say type masterpassword to reset password and then you change the password

LM- Jan 3, 2010 05:29PM
it isnt working because I need the admin password to se t the master password
Abe- Apr 11, 2010 05:53PM
it works when u do it properly.....goodjob of finding a different way to hack and disable password...props to ya bro worked for me :)
mari- Apr 19, 2010 04:12AM
how do u put the system preferences on the desktop?
henry- Apr 23, 2010 09:51PM
WHAT DO I DO AFTER I TYPED EVERYTHINGG?
i pressed return again but idk what elsee to do it just stays ont he screen.
im pretty sure i typed allt he spaces right and everything.
PLEASE HELPP! I REALLY NEEED THIS!!
Answer
+90
moins plus
Whenever I do the applesetupdone part... this is what happens
Ok This is exactly what happens: I type in rm /var/db/.AppleSetupDone and then I get this back : override rw- - - - - - root/wheel for /var/db/.AppleSetupDone?

What do I say to that??

So its asking me to remove applesetupdone I assume but what do I say?

Answer
+88
moins plus
ok so it worked great to me
i did exactly that
and it ddint say failed or anything.. it looked like it passed it went through
BUT WHEN I GO TO CHANGE MY PASSWORD, IT WONT LET ME CAUSE MY OLD PASWORD IS STIL THERE
HELP?
except when i wrote " rm /var/db/.AppleSetupDone"
it said something after that, and then a question mark (?)
i didnt know what to tupe so i kept it blank
and then proceeded
when i went ot the account setting, my password was still there
HELP?

Answer
+63
moins plus
It very simple.....
First you need to restart your computer and from there you boot up in Single User mode. Doing this will give you access the system to get Admin rights. Very important to include all spaces " /sbin/mount -uw /" . It should say something like it removed some files. now type " rm /var/db/.AppleSetupDone" . Finally type reboot

D- May 7, 2010 01:59PM
Thank so much mac i'v tried so many thing to fix this thing and couldn't this worked great thanks again
Answer
+50
moins plus
im scared that if i do this wrong that there will be lasting changes or problems to my computer
this ONLY changes the admin right? everything else stays the same... because if i mess up my computer my parents will murder me.

Answer
+40
moins plus
ok, this is the most simple way to do it. u start by turning it on, and when you hear the chime, hold command & S together for bout 3 seconds. wait for it to load. then if you look at the list above, youll see two things to type that starts with sbin. type the 2nd one, not the first.ONLY the Second one. then type in rm /var/db/.AppleSetupDone
then it should go bakk to root. now type in reboot. There you go!

Answer
+39
moins plus
THIS IS WORKING ON ALL MACBOOKS ive tested it on.

macbook pro unibody, macbook pro 2006 model......... even macbook g4.

Great work

Answer
+36
moins plus
i did the whole process now when i try to register my computer my keyboard wont work every time i press a key it gives me a chime. how can i fix this thank you.

lola- Apr 7, 2010 03:19PM
WOW..this works..AWESOME!!!
anonymous- Apr 9, 2010 10:11AM
THANK YOU
henry- Apr 23, 2010 09:46PM
WHAT DO I DO AFTER I TYPED EVERYTHINGG?
i pressed return again but idk what elsee to do it just stays ont he screen.
im pretty sure i typed allt he spaces right and everything.
PLEASE HELPP! I REALLY NEEED THIS!
cityboy- May 5, 2010 03:55PM
thankkkkkkkkkkkk youuuuuuuuuuuu sooooooooooo muchhhhhhhh
Answer
+30
moins plus
forgot my password on my laptop-

Answer
+28
moins plus
I am running a 667mhz powerbook g4 15" with os 10.4.11 and I don't have the mac os disks and dont remember my admin password, will this work with this setup?

Answer
+19
moins plus
This method...I Love you

Answer
+19
moins plus
ok every time i type step 2 its crap it just says no such ile or directory what is up with this
pls email me anyone pat.pitts@us.army.mil

Answer
+15
moins plus
Thank you very much! This is a wonderful method!

Answer
+14
moins plus
Thank you, worked beautifully when i figured out the space issue. You rock!!!!!!

Answer
+14
moins plus
hi. Will this work on a macbook 13in??

Debsy- Sep 11, 2009 02:04AM
It worked beautifully on my macbook 13 inch black, so yes.
1 2 3 4 Next
This document entitled « change Mac admin password without the disk » from Kioskea (en.kioskea.net) is made available under the Creative Commons license. You can copy, modify copies of this page, under the conditions stipulated by the license, as this note appears clearly.

Not a member yet?

sign-up, it takes less than a minute and it's free!

Members get more answers than anonymous users.

Being a member gives you detailed monitoring of your requests.

Being a member gives you additional options.