Step 1: If you have installed any CD-burning software, please temporarily remove them from "Control Panel"-> "Programs and Features".
Step 2: Modify the Registry:
1. Click "Start" Pearl, type in "regedit" (without quotation marks) in Search box and press Enter.
2. Navigate to the following key:
Highlight this key, on the right pane, and then check if the "Upperfilters" and "Lowerfilters" values are present. If so, please right click on the values and select "Delete" to remove them.
Step 3: Remove the CDROM driver:
1. Click "Start" Pearl, type in "devmgmt.msc" in Search box and press "Enter".
2. Expand "DVD/CDROM Drives".
3. Right click your CDROM Drive, and click "Uninstall".
Then, please restart your computer. Does the CDROM work properly now?
For more information, please refer to the following article from Microsoft Knowledge Base:
Please try the above steps and let me know the results at your earliest convenience. If there are any questions or concerns, feel free to contact me.
I look forward to your reply.
Microsoft Windows Vista Support Professional
Satisfied customers are my top priority. Please let either myself or my manager know what you think of the level of service provided. You can send feedback to my manager, Terry at firstname.lastname@example.org.