Dell inspiron 1420 won't turn on

Closed
kealla Posts 1 Registration date Sunday October 13, 2013 Status Member Last seen October 13, 2013 - Oct 13, 2013 at 03:51 PM
Zohaib R Posts 2368 Registration date Sunday September 23, 2012 Status Member Last seen December 13, 2018 - Oct 14, 2013 at 05:37 PM
so i've had this laptop for many years and never had too many issues with it besides having to get the keyboard fixed once when I broke the latch (?) while disassembling it once. ANYWAYS. my dell inspiron 1420 will not turn on at all. yesterday, I randomly got a blue screen on it and it froze up, so I shut down and it wouldn't turn on afterwards. I decided to take apart the bottom of the laptop, clean out some dust and put everything back in place. voila- it came right back on. then like an idiot, I fell asleep with it on and it has not powered back on at all, even after trying to take apart the bottom again. i'm not extremely computer savvy, so i'm not sure what exactly to do. i've tried the fn+power, just using battery/just using charger, etc. nothing will work. the power light flickers on for a second then right back off. any ideas? I hadn't installed anything new, besides the updates that it prompts you to install and i've never had issues before doing that.
Related:

1 response

Zohaib R Posts 2368 Registration date Sunday September 23, 2012 Status Member Last seen December 13, 2018 69
Oct 14, 2013 at 05:37 PM
Hi kealla,

The most probable cause of the problem can be detected by removing few of the components from the computer and then trying to place them back one by one. Remove the components in the following order and try to power on the computer after removing each one of the component one-by-one:

1. AC Adapter (with AC Adapter removed try to power on the computer only on battery)
2. Battery (with Battery removed keep the AC Adapter connected)
3. Optical Drive (or any other device in the Media Bay)
4. Hard Drive
5. Memory (if there are two memory modules in the machine remove both if the computer beeps, put only one at a time in each slot to identify which slot is bad)
6. Modem
7. Hinge Cover
8. Keyboard
9. Mini-Cards
10. Bluetooth

If you are able to identify the point of failure during removal (and then powering on) of any of the components listed above, you can consider it as the point of failure. If the computer still doesn't power on, the problem is with the Motherboard or some other internal components. For the latter case you will need to have your computer serviced by a technician. You will find the steps for removal of the parts listed above in the Service Manual.

Do reply with results.

To know more about Dell Product Support, Drivers & Downloads, Order & Dispatch status -> choose your region US Customers; India Customers. For Dell support videos click Here.