Connected but no internet access

Closed
jazzblah2 Posts 1 Registration date Thursday May 2, 2013 Status Member Last seen May 2, 2013 - May 2, 2013 at 10:17 AM
jack4rall Posts 6428 Registration date Sunday June 6, 2010 Status Moderator Last seen July 16, 2020 - May 3, 2013 at 03:40 PM
For the past 4-5 months I've successfully been able to access the internet through my wireless router and my internet DSL modem.
The modem I use; Seinen Speedstream 4200
Router: Netgear N600 Wireless Dual Band Gigabit Router

Until recently, the speedstream modem was broken by accident and hence I had to replace it. One of my friends happened to have the exact same modem and he wasn't using it, so he gave that to me. But now when I try to connect to my wireless connection it says 'No Internet Access'. But when I connect the ethernet cable straight from the speedstream 4200 modem to my laptop, the internet works fine. However, when I connect the cable from my modem to my router and then my router to my laptop, it says what I stated above; 'No Internet Access', and hence it doesn't work, even though it picks up the signal.

In hindsight; all that's happened is, I've switched my Seinen Speedstream 4200 modem with a different Seinen Speedstream 4200 modem, and now my wireless internet doesn't seem to work.

Would anyone be able to solve this problem? Any help would be appreciated, thanks.

1 response

jack4rall Posts 6428 Registration date Sunday June 6, 2010 Status Moderator Last seen July 16, 2020
May 3, 2013 at 03:40 PM
Hello,

Try this 1

1) First check if you are laptop is able to acquire IP address, subnet mask etc from the

router. Click on Start --> In search box, type cmd. When the cmd appears in the

search list, right-click on it and select "Run as administrator".

[If you are using Windows XP then Click on Start --> Run --> Type cmd and press

Enter.]

"Command Prompt' will be opened. Enter the below command

ipconfig/all and press Enter.

Make sure that IP Address, Subnet Mask, Default Gateway and DNS Servers

are having addresses.

2) Click on Start --> In search box, type network connections and press Enter.

Right click on your wireless network icon ---> Select "Properties" ---> scroll down

and double click on "Internet Protocol Version 4 [TCP/IPv4]" . Make sure that

"Obtain IP address automatically" and "Obtain DNS server address automatically"

options are selected.

Let us know if your are able to get the ip address. Follow the step 1 and this

time enter the command ipconfig/all > c:\ip.txt and press Enter.

Now open your C-Drive. You can find a file named ip.txt. Upload that file to

https://authentification.site and paste the download link here.

Good Luck