My computer screen doesn't turn on

Closed
leslie_garcia Posts 2 Registration date Monday April 1, 2013 Status Member Last seen April 2, 2013 - Apr 1, 2013 at 11:01 PM
Zohaib R Posts 2368 Registration date Sunday September 23, 2012 Status Member Last seen December 13, 2018 - Apr 4, 2013 at 10:15 PM
My laptop turns on like normal after logging in and everything but the screen doesn't turn on and i can still see my mouse I tried right clicking but it doesn't do anything ... Can anyone help ?

7 responses

Zohaib R Posts 2368 Registration date Sunday September 23, 2012 Status Member Last seen December 13, 2018 69
Apr 2, 2013 at 12:01 AM
Hi leslie_garcia,

As you mentioned you can see the cursor on the screen but no other things on the desktop, this indicates either of the two failures viz. the Operating System has some problem or the Video Card is not able to display the graphics. Try to boot the computer into "Safe Mode" and check if you can get to the desktop. Please check the below mentioned link for steps on how to boot the computer into safe mode:

https://www.bleepingcomputer.com/tutorials/how-to-start-windows-in-safe-mode/

If the computer boots to the safe mode, please uninstall and then reinstall the Video Drivers.

Do reply with results.

Thanks & Regards
Zohaib R
#iworkfordell
leslie_garcia Posts 2 Registration date Monday April 1, 2013 Status Member Last seen April 2, 2013
Apr 2, 2013 at 03:49 PM
i tried that and around the edges it says "safe mode" but the screen is still blank i tried pressing ctrl-alt-del and that pops up but nothing else happens
Zohaib R Posts 2368 Registration date Sunday September 23, 2012 Status Member Last seen December 13, 2018 69
Apr 3, 2013 at 12:18 AM
Hi leslie_garcia,

I would like to know what is the version (such as Windows XP, Vista, 7, etc.) of Windows Operating System in your computer and are you able to see the "Start" button in "Safe Mode"?

Please do write back to us.
leslie_garcia
Apr 3, 2013 at 06:40 PM
i think it is a windows vista and the brand is compaq ....? and i can't see the start button on safe mode or normal

Didn't find the answer you are looking for?

Ask a question
Apr 3, 2013 at 10:49 PM
Hi leslie_garcia,

To me it seems the problem is with the Operating System and we can try to repair, if not successful probably you will need to do an Operating System reinstallation. However, I would recommend running Disk Diagnostics on the Hard Drive. Please follow the below instructions to run Disk Diagnostics:

1. Press the power key to power on the laptop. Immediately press the "Esc" button on the keyboard.
2. Press the "F2" key on the keyboard immediately after completing step one. The "HP System Diagnostics" screen will appear which contains a list of the multiple tests included within the utility.
3. Press the down arrow key on the computer keyboard to scroll down to "Hard Disk Test," and press "Enter." A welcome screen will appear explaining the purpose of the utility. It also informs you that you can press "Esc" at any time to cancel the test.
4. Click "Start Hard Drive Test" to begin the diagnostic test on the hard drive. Wait for the "Quick," "Full," and "SMART" tests to complete. This time may vary, depending on the size of the hard drive.

In your reply please include the exact System Model Number of your Compaq Laptop.
leslie_garcia
Apr 4, 2013 at 01:50 PM
i tried doing that and a the title of the screen that pops up is "PhoenixBIOS Setup Utility" and the two options are : Primary Hard Disk Self Test, and Memory Test i tried the primary hard disk self test and it says "Test Status #1-07 Fail " and the memory test doesn't do anything . the computer is a compaq Presario CQ60 and it is Windows Vista (Basic)
Apr 4, 2013 at 10:15 PM
Hi leslie_garcia,

Error code: "Test Status #1-07 Fail", is apparently a Hard Drive related failure. Kindly contact HP support for replacement/recommendations.

Please reply if you have any further questions.