DELETING EXISTING O .S

Closed
Kiviangu Posts 23 Registration date Friday March 1, 2013 Status Member Last seen February 1, 2020 - Mar 1, 2013 at 08:06 AM
Zohaib R Posts 2368 Registration date Sunday September 23, 2012 Status Member Last seen December 13, 2018 - Mar 1, 2013 at 02:03 PM
Hello, I was formatting my hp laptop and accidentally fixed two windows. this is affecting its normal functioning. How can I delete one window so as to remain with only one?

please help.

3 responses

Zohaib R Posts 2368 Registration date Sunday September 23, 2012 Status Member Last seen December 13, 2018 69
Mar 1, 2013 at 09:54 AM
Hi Kiviangu,

I see that you have mentioned in your configuration "Configuration: Windows XP / Firefox 19.0". Use the following steps to remove one of the Windows XP:

1. Boot to the Window XP you want to keep.
2. Right-click on My Computer, and select Properties.
3. Move to the Advanced tab.
4. Under Startup and Recovery, select Settings.
5. Click edit.
6. First save a copy of the Notepad file which opens 'boot.ini' just in case you make a mistake.
7. You will see lines such as the following:
[boot loader] timeout=30
default=multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(1)\WINDOWS
[operating systems]
multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(1)\WINDOWS="Microsoft Windows XP Professional" /fastdetect /NoExecute=OptIn
8. There will also be a line for the other OS here under [operating systems] which reads similar to the following: 'multi(1)disk(0)partition(#)...'
9. Check that your default line points to XP, as it does above. Then erase the line with the other OS. Please note that the entire line of code to be removed may be more than one line in Notepad. Save the file.
10. Reboot.
11. If everything looks correct, you can delete the folder associated with the Other Windows XP that you wish to delete.
If any mistakes occur, load back into your existing OS, copy the old boot.ini over the modified one, and try again.

Do reply with results.

Thanks & Regards
Zohaib R
#iworkfordell
Kiviangu Posts 23 Registration date Friday March 1, 2013 Status Member Last seen February 1, 2020
Mar 1, 2013 at 10:13 AM
Hello, thank you, but unfortunately, my O S is not windows xp, it is windows 7 professionals, My question is, are the deleting process similar to that of windows xp? Thanks for concern.
Zohaib R Posts 2368 Registration date Sunday September 23, 2012 Status Member Last seen December 13, 2018 69
Mar 1, 2013 at 02:03 PM
Hi Kiviangu,

Windows 7 gives you a more easy way to remove this. Click "Start", click "Run", type "msconfig" and hit enter. If a UAC (User Account Control) window appears click "Yes". In the next windows that opens, select "Boot" from the tabs at the top, you will see the two Operating Systems listed here. Click on the Operating System that you want to remove and click "Delete Button".

Do reply with results.