Connects to the internet but IE does not work

Closed
lwilliams1922 Posts 2 Registration date Saturday February 23, 2013 Status Member Last seen February 23, 2013 - Feb 23, 2013 at 02:47 PM
Bionik Posts 4234 Registration date Thursday August 19, 2010 Status Moderator Last seen August 3, 2016 - Feb 23, 2013 at 03:57 PM
Hello,

I got a used mini laptop (acer) for my daughter to do homework. I got it home and discovered that it connects to the internet but IE does not work.

When I click on IE a box comes up that says choose the program you want to use to open this file: iexpplore.exe

it has windows 7 professional

2 responses

lwilliams1922 Posts 2 Registration date Saturday February 23, 2013 Status Member Last seen February 23, 2013
Feb 23, 2013 at 02:56 PM
When I try to download a utility,
there is any error message that says

setup.exe
application not found

even after I saw the notice that the download was complete and I can see the set up file in the download folder.
Bionik Posts 4234 Registration date Thursday August 19, 2010 Status Moderator Last seen August 3, 2016
Feb 23, 2013 at 03:57 PM
Hi,

1. Click on the link below for the file extension. This will download it's .reg file https://www.sevenforums.com/attachments/tutorials/123734d1312706455-default-file-type-associations-restore-default_exe.reg

2. Save the .reg file to your desktop.

3. Right click on the downloaded .reg file, and click on Merge.
NOTE: If you wish to see what changes will be made by the REG file, then you can right click on the extracted REG file and click on Edit to see the default registry entries that will be added. REG files are just text files. The "Edit" function just opens them in Notepad.

4. If prompted, click on Run, Yes (UAC), Yes, and OK.

5. When finished, you can delete the downloaded .zip or .reg files on the desktop if you like.

6. Log off and log on, or restart the computer to apply.

PS: If you do not see a Merge option when you right click on the REG file, then you will need to check in Default Programs to set the reg file extension to have it's Current Default program set as Registry Editor (C:\Windows\regedit.exe). Afterwards, try merging the REG file again.

The path of excess leads to the tower of Wisdom