Windows XP Professional: Missing/Corrupt OS File: No Disc Drive

Closed
mugloklin Posts 2 Registration date Sunday October 21, 2012 Status Member Last seen October 21, 2012 - Oct 21, 2012 at 10:16 AM
Ambucias Posts 47356 Registration date Monday February 1, 2010 Status Moderator Last seen February 15, 2023 - Oct 22, 2012 at 04:51 AM
Hello,

When I attempt to start my Lenovo ThinkPad X100e (laptop) I get the error message:

Windows could not start because the following file is missing or corrupt:
\WINDOWS\SYSTEM32\CONFIG\SYSTEM

And the normal repair attempt information. I have seen a previous forum post addressing this issue by inserting the XP OS disc (found here: https://ccm.net/forum/affich-22815-windows-system32-config-system-is-corrupt ) but this model of laptop doesn't have a (visible) disc drive, nor do I have access to a disc.

This laptop was loaned to me by my school, but I would rather not go and ask for their assistance if there was a fix I could apply at home. Upon startup before the error, it would go to a "TLC School Connect" login page, where I would enter my school-appointed username and password, and then Windows would start.

I was hoping someone would know a fix where instead of inserting the OS disc, I could just stick in a USB flash drive with just the vital files for the fix (system.bak and the Recovery Console). I have already downloaded a USB applicable Recovery Console, but I have no idea where I could get this system.bak file.

Any help/advice is appreciated.

Thanks.

P.S. I left this configuration note at the bottom, but this just applies to my home PC, not the afflicted laptop. I believe it runs on XP Professional.
Related:

2 responses

Ambucias Posts 47356 Registration date Monday February 1, 2010 Status Moderator Last seen February 15, 2023 11,169
Oct 22, 2012 at 04:51 AM
To all your questions...no
Ambucias Posts 47356 Registration date Monday February 1, 2010 Status Moderator Last seen February 15, 2023 11,169
Oct 21, 2012 at 04:35 PM
Hello

If you wish you can try to restore the lappy to factory setting by booting while pressing the F11 key and follow the prompts.

You will loose data but it's better than a dead lappy.

Good luck
mugloklin Posts 2 Registration date Sunday October 21, 2012 Status Member Last seen October 21, 2012
Oct 21, 2012 at 06:46 PM
If I were to restore it to factory settings, do you think it would it still have the TLC SchoolConnect login page? The laptop appears to be made FOR the school (it has the school's name impressed into it). I have nothing against restoring it if I can be sure it will keep the page.

And what if the restore fails? Will the laptop be permanently bricked, or will it just go back to how it is now??