I have the 1TB WD Passport Essential

Closed
sugarfl55 Posts 1 Registration date Monday July 23, 2012 Status Member Last seen July 23, 2012 - Jul 23, 2012 at 07:39 PM
jack4rall Posts 6428 Registration date Sunday June 6, 2010 Status Moderator Last seen July 16, 2020 - Jul 24, 2012 at 02:03 PM
Hello, I am in desperate need of some help here. I have a brand new WD Passport. I was always afraid to store anything on it. I had a dozen camera cards laying around and after one went bad I decided I better protect all my pictures. So I placed them all on the passport. From 2008-2012 (my life in pictures)

The next day I was going to finish up and to my horror I could not get it to work. I was on my laptop running win 7, so I went to the PC running XP and still nothing.

I tried the shorter cord and even ordered a cord from WD. The said it was a high power cord. Still nothing. It does not show up in My Computer, It shows up in control panel but with no info. Does not show up under disk managment.

I am at a loss and WD support is not helping. They will replace the external but that does not retrieve all my pictures. The birth of 3 grandchildren, the graduation and wedding of another. Not to mention all the birthdays and holidays....

PLEASE HELP
Debbie

Related:

1 response

jack4rall Posts 6428 Registration date Sunday June 6, 2010 Status Moderator Last seen July 16, 2020
Jul 24, 2012 at 02:03 PM
Hello,

Try this 1

Click on Start --> In search box, type cmd and press Enter.

"Command Prompt" will be opened.

Now enter the below commands

set devmgr_show_nonpresent_devices=1 --> Press Enter

start devmgmt.msc --> Press Enter

"Device Manager" window will be opened.

Now in the device manager, click on "View" --> Select "Show hidden devices"

Now expand all the nodes by clicking on "+" symbol. If you find any greyed

entries --> Right click on it --> Select "Uninstall".

Restart your PC --> Now try connecting your external drive.

Good Luck