Cannot connect to internet

Closed
linda - Jun 12, 2012 at 06:22 PM
xpcman Posts 19530 Registration date Wednesday October 8, 2008 Status Contributor Last seen June 15, 2019 - Jun 12, 2012 at 06:51 PM
Hello,
I have a toshiba laptop only had few months and netgear wireless router both connected properly. used my internet on laptop. then went to open it back up next day and cannot connect to internet. please help me.

1 response

xpcman Posts 19530 Registration date Wednesday October 8, 2008 Status Contributor Last seen June 15, 2019 1,826
Jun 12, 2012 at 06:51 PM
First you need to determine if the problem is in the laptop or the router.
Do you have any other wi-fi devices like a cell phone or iPod?
Do they still work? If not - unplug the router for 30 seconds or more. Then re-attach and test again.
If it still doesn't work - try unplugging the modem. Again leave it off for 30-45 seconds. test again.
If it still doesn't work I suggest you call your internet provider and get them to test you modem remotely. This will verify that the modem is getting the internet signal.

If at this point you still have problems then it might be computer related. You then need to test the wi-fi access on the laptop. Can you connect to other wi-fi hotspots (like Starbucks)? Can you search for and identify other wi-fi signals at home? Does the search find the name you gave your router?

Report back with more information and I will see if I can help.

Good Luck