Hard drive

Closed
darren - Apr 11, 2012 at 09:31 AM
xpcman Posts 19530 Registration date Wednesday October 8, 2008 Status Contributor Last seen June 15, 2019 - Apr 11, 2012 at 10:58 AM
Hello, i have an acer laptop all working ok .. i tried to put a hard drive in from an old toshiba laptop that no longer works so i can get all my old photos etc ....after i installed it in to my acer and turned it on it asked me to put the boot disc in and hit any key but i dont have the toshiba disc :( is there any way around this ???

Related:

1 response

xpcman Posts 19530 Registration date Wednesday October 8, 2008 Status Contributor Last seen June 15, 2019 1,826
Apr 11, 2012 at 10:58 AM
NO. You can't boot from a hard disk that had Windows installed on another PC. The proper way to recover you data is to buy a "USB hard disk enclosure" and install the old drive in it. That will convert the drive to a USB external drive. Depending on the age of your hard drive it might be IDE or SATA interface. IDE has a long plug with many prongs and STA has a short plug with just a few prongs. You need to buy an enclosure that matches your drive type.

Good Luck