My laptop won't start

Solved/Closed
Andy - May 6, 2008 at 02:52 AM
 bob - Oct 19, 2012 at 04:00 AM
Hello,

i think I got a virus. I was on Firefox when my computer spontaneously shut down. When I try to restart it the computer tries to restart but then shuts down again within a few seconds. The computer doesn't even have time turn the screen on again before it shuts down. Please help!
Related:

78 responses

I found mySelf on a particular webSite I prob should not have been on, and all of a sudden my screen freezes. Then my comp tries to reStart itsefl. But to no avail. Days after the incodent, my comp still will not start. Not all the way that is. It gets to the point where it is about to load the user names then an error messege comes in and tells me to reBoot. When I reBoot, I get error messeges. It's a very frustrating cycle. Will simply clearing my hard drive solve this delima? Or should I trash My LapTop?

IDK what to do
omg, mylaptop has the same problem too, except now when I open it, I press the power button, the computer opens and makes a tick sound, for 1 second and then it closes, it wont start D: I need helpp!
Jeanett Posts 1 Registration date Thursday December 24, 2009 Status Member Last seen December 26, 2009
Dec 26, 2009 at 04:09 AM
I have a HP DV9842eo.
I week ago it turned black to me and would not boot up :(
When I start up, the lights on the keyboard starts and I hear the laptop starts to boot, but I just get a black and grey screen :( Half black and half grey with som horizontal stripes in the middle.
After some time the hole screen gets black.
I have tried all the tips, but without help.
HP Support says the cannot/will not help me because the warranty is out for six months :(
I will NEVER buy a HP computer again!

My laptop will start up (1 og 100 times) But only to be black in about 20 minutes.
Can it then be the display card?

It seems to me that it gets very hot, and make a lot of noise.
I've tried to blow away dust under the computer.
I've also taken out the memory and replaced it. I have testet my two harddrives on a another PC.

http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/document?docname=c01087277&lc=en&dlc=en&cc=us&lang=en&product=1817074

It did'nt say anything about DV9700-series :(

Very glad for some help :)

Jeannett
I believe you have a problem with your cpu and the cooler on your motherboard. It not a virus. Your laptop may not be overheating, but your cpu and your cooler are not functionality correctly. These things can be replace. Good luck!

Didn't find the answer you are looking for?

Ask a question
Hydrocollie1999
Jan 22, 2010 at 03:04 PM
I TRIED EVERYTHING IT STILL DOES NOT WORK! I am so ANGRY! HELP ME!
kardhu Posts 7 Registration date Thursday December 31, 2009 Status Member Last seen January 24, 2010
Jan 24, 2010 at 09:26 AM
i think ur notebook is filled with dust near fan inside kind open it and clean as per the manual availabe in the internet
Hi, I kind of have the same problem, you see I can start up my lap top etc. etc. but when i've clicked on my profile in the selections menu it decides to stop and go back to the profile selection? I've got a virus or two, that's what caused it to shutdown in the firstplace, but yeah, it starts up fine but doesn't actually go to my profile?? I've tried safe mode, last good area, and all sorts, please help! :/
Anybody really techy that could really help a girl out?

Starting Saturday I've been having problems with my computer. At first, the screen would turn pink or green toned and then freeze. And now when I turn it on, it won't even boot. Now it's just a blank black screen. The monitor is on but it remains black. I tried F9 and my thinkpad's thinkvantage button but no help.

I installed a legit version of Office XP on my laptop running OS but I uninstalled it before it got to the point where it won't start.

I also downloaded Reaper but I don't think that's the cause.

I really really want to avoid spending the $300+ to take it to a repair place.

Thanks so much in advance!!
My computer starts now! Yeppe! Okay so u can u stop emailing me please? Thanks also if ya want to start ur computer here is two things u can try
1. Press the function key and f12
2. Press f6

Those will probably help.
Hello my laptop wont get past the black screen after the Dell logo sign.
My laptop issue is almost the same as everyone elses,but not quite.6 months ago,tequila and orange juice spilt all over/around it.windows still loaded like a charm,but dvdburner,ethernet outlet,and wifi stopped working,permanently.Earlier this week my screen froze on me from out of nowhere.I turned it off and powered it back on manually.It comes on for 3-4 seconds everytoime and then shuts off.This is a repeative process over and over.On the 8-10th try,it will load windows,but will freeze completely again,for good.I wait it out.It still stays frozen.I just noticed my fan isn't coming on at all.It's a dell latitude d610.Give me specific insight on what the issue is.I want this thing up and running again,soon.
try this worked for me even my wifi works now!!!!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JEpnqhRYGLw
I had the problem with the dark screen every time I restarted. I clicked on the system image reboot. This formatted my computer and got rid of all my files but it works again.
Before that I tried the taking the battery out and blowing in it lol but none of that worked.
I have a compaq presario and everytime I open it, it starts normally and all, as in it boots and even asks for my account password. However, when it's time for the desktop to appear, all that shows is the pointer and everything else is black. I restart and it works normally again. I thought it would happen only a few times, but it's been two weeks and it's always like this. Do you guys think it's an hp thing?
Sounds like you've picked up a virus and may have to reinstall your OS. I recently had to do this with a computer that had picked up a virus and would not show the desktop but would show cursor/pointer and wallpaper.
Blocked Profile
Dec 9, 2008 at 05:16 AM
Go on safe mode and then restore your pc before all this happened!
I had the same problem, called HP and they will replace the mother board which is the cause of the problem, will send an empty box to ship the unit and then I will get it back in 7-9 business days.
i had this happening too.. I read through this forum and saw what others did.. So I got an ice pack out of the freezer, set the puter on there for about a half hour (Unplugged) plugged it back in, pushed the power button & prayed! And what do you know?? It started right up... So maybe this will be helpful to someone else.. I am going to check into contacting hp though.. Mine had been off all night, and then wouldn't start up.. So idk.. very odd! But its on now & Im leaving it sit on the ice pak & I'm not going to shut it down..
Plug you're computer in.Look on the front of it or where ever the lights are on it,then make sure the battery light is on.If that doesn't help,take out the battery and put it back in.If that doesn't help,put in the restore cd and restore it.If you have stuff on there that you don't wanna delete bring it to a best buy or a HP place.Or maybe a radio shack.Or call HP and tell them your problem.